Mitt Romney's 47% speech

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KvichakKing

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Walker, LA
    It's about time somebody called it like it is. The GOP is lucky I'm not running for the White House or they'd be running to distance themselves from me.
    I found the video refreshing.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    Its pretty funny to read the comments on the video on youtube . People seem offended that he says that it is a bad thing . Nothing but parrots repeating loyally everything msnbc cnn and Obama commercails say . That and blatant attacks on his religion .

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    That speech was a pretty big mistake IMO. The 47% figure includes the elderly who have spent their entire lives paying taxes and have retired. It also includes those who served in the military and have disabilities now that prevents them from working. It was a little irresponsible of him to state that the entire 47% were pretty much leeches who never put into the system.

This link breaks down that 47% http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/mitt-romneys-47-percent-pay-income-taxes/story?id=17263629#.UFk_UY1lTrc

Last edited:

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    It is obviously taken out of context by the media. He didn't "write off" half the nation, he's merely not targeting them for their vote.

Media is dividing the conservative vote. 48 days left, not looking good Larry

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    had this discussion tonight with some friends and even the liberals of my group did not think he said anything out of line. I was honestly surprised. Maybe there is hope.

IMO Romney is trying to show that is is not obama-lite. Could come back to bite him, but he can not be seen as middle ground right now. Plus once it was out he had to defend it, which I think he did pretty well.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    That speech was a pretty big mistake IMO. The 47% figure includes the elderly who have spent their entire lives paying taxes and have retired. It also includes those who served in the military and have disabilities now that prevents them from working. It was a little irresponsible of him to state that the entire 47% were pretty much leeches who never put into the system.

This link breaks down that 47% http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/mitt-romneys-47-percent-pay-income-taxes/story?id=17263629#.UFk_UY1lTrc

The people on the bottom of a Ponzi scheme are the ones that get screwed? Would you rather it be you or your kids?

Me, cut it off as soon as possible, make it better for my son.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    The people on the bottom of a Ponzi scheme are the ones that get screwed? Would you rather it be you or your kids?

+1+1+1+1 You're the first person I've seen to call it a Ponzi scheme. Ironic isn't it that so many in Congress, who have perpetrated our financial disaster were those screaming for Bernie Madoff's head. Heck he was small potatoes.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    His whole point was target the 5-10% of Independents in the middle to win. That 47% who pay no income taxes and get government entitlements will not vote for him. The message of lowering taxes means nothing to them because they pay no income
    taxes. As far as the elderly go I think he may be missing a good opportunity.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky

+1

AFFS

When seconds count...
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    And in contrast, here is Obama discussing openly his ideology of Redistributionism. You won't hear this on the MSM

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I think our poor and elderly are and should be entitled to basic healthcare, and the hungry poor should be fed.. It is a shame that we waste billions of dollars on foreign policy, (giving money to middle east regimes that support terror aimed at American interests and our allies) as well as the wasteful spending of billions of dollars here at home.

To a huge degree Mitt Romney is right, there are millions of deadbeats collecting benefits that they don't deserve and will never support someone trying to change that.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I agree with the whole thing, I just don't think the % is so high.

You are correct --- ABC and CBS have reported the actual figure. For the year 2011 (most recent complete year), 46.4% of US citizens paid zero Federal income tax.

Those Republicans are always exaggerating stuff.:rolleyes:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington

Did you mean to quote me? Because I have no clue wtf you're talking about.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Bosco,

It wasn't a speech or prepared remarks of any kind. These were extemporaneous comments at a private fund raiser. Setting aside the comments for a moment, let's understand the context.

One guy speaking to a crowd of people is giving a speech... You can't say he was just having a private conversation as he was the only one talking. Seems like a silly thing to argue over but hey I'm game let's argue about what a speech is or isn't instead of what was actually said. Your turn Pacioli.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    You are correct --- ABC and CBS have reported the actual figure. For the year 2011 (most recent complete year), 46.4% of US citizens paid zero Federal income tax.

Those Republicans are always exaggerating stuff.:rolleyes:

eekfacepalm.gif

So the retired elderly will 100% vote for Obama because they are part of that 46.4%?

Disabled veterans will 100% vote for Obama because they are part of that 46.4%?

Low income families that work their ass off for a living to make a better life for their family will 100% vote for Obama because they are part of that 46.4%?

The 46.4% is thrown around a lot by people who think that half the population is on food stamps and welfare. Look into the number, educate yourself, and then think before you make yourself look stupid in public.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom