houston pd officer shoots double amputee in wheelchair

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Wow, could'nt get away from a dude with one arm and one leg, in a wheelchair?

Well in all fairness, the wheelchair fiend couldn't get away from a train once, so anything's possible.....

So it turned out to be a pen. But in that split-second, the wheelchair man forced the cop into making a decision. It wasn't- but if that were to have been a mouse gun.....Could've been a bad situation, indeed. I'm sure the cop feels bad about how it turned out- but none of us can say the guy had any other choice....:dunno:

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    "Fearing for his partner's safety and his own safety, he discharged his weapon," Silva told The Associated Press

Honestly, i cant imagine many extraneous circumstances that might make him feel fear not only his safety, but his partners as well. They knew they were going into a situation that included a mentally ill person and should have reasonably expected some "crazy" behavior (Situational Awareness?). Do they not carry less than lethal weapons such as tasors or pepper spray? Some might argue that even the use of that might have been excessive.

Would be interesting to hear from a few LEOs on that.

JMHO on the information given in the story.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    "Fearing for his partner's safety and his own safety, he discharged his weapon," Silva told The Associated Press

Honestly, i cant imagine many extraneous circumstances that might make him feel fear not only his safety, but his partners as well. They knew they were going into a situation that included a mentally ill person and should have reasonably expected some "crazy" behavior (Situational Awareness?). Do they not carry less than lethal weapons such as tasors or pepper spray? Some might argue that even the use of that might have been excessive.

Would be interesting to hear from a few LEOs on that.

JMHO on the information given in the story.

I have had to deal with several mentally unstable individuals. What you have to remember is "less lethal" is made to cause an individual give in to compliance through discomfort/pain. Mentally unstable react differently than normal minded people. In the few mentally ill individuals I've had to utalize noncompliant locks/holds on, the pain just makes them much much more aggressive.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Those group homes are a recipe for disaster... I'd like to find who thought it was a good idea to put a bunch of mentally unstable people together, staff it with people who have no clue what they are doing, and then put it all in a residential area...

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I once rolled up to back up an officer only to find him pinned against a wall by a one legged guy who had his hands around his throat. That guy had amazing strength from a life of using crutches.

MOTOR 51

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the input, all valid points. Having dealt with mental illness on a personal level, with a family member, I can certainly understand the immediate treat level elevation.

It seems to me the handicap and the wheel chair are the mitigating factors. if the guy only has one arm and one leg, it doesnt seem he could be mobile AND swing a weapon with any lethality, without leaving some avenue for escape to the officer.

Just out of curiosity, what is the procedure for apprehension and subsequent transportation of a suspect in a wheelchair? I guess any way you approach it, getting up close and personnal is a forgone conclusion (especially with one arm and one leg).

Top Bottom