Hey Yall!! from Marksville

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayoubell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Marksville
    I heard of this sight from a friend. Im looking for some advice on a new hunting rifle..ive always hunted but my dad always supplied my gun. im older now so I have to do this on my own.. I didnt realize it would be so hard to try a hunt without him lol. Its also hard as a female. I dont want to walk in a store and ask silly questions..I look foward to learning from Y'all..

bayoubell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Marksville
    well im looking to buy my first hunting rifle.. i like to deer hunt and squirrel hunt.. i wanted a 17 hmr for my squirrels but they are a bit pricey for me right now for just something i can hunt them with that isnt to high but is still good qualitiy.. same for my deer rifle..any suggestions..

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    Glad to have you with us!

Here's a suggestion...........
    If you are on a budget (like most of us!), you might think about getting a pump shotgun (Remington 870 is an excellent "go to" gun).

It's the Swiss army knife of the firearms world.

You can hunt everything from squirrels to bear with it, just with a change of ammo, and if you want to get fancy, a second, rifled barrel.
    Use the regular smoothbore barrel with proper game loads for squirrel, rabbit, doves, ducks....and switch to buckshot or rifled slugs for large game.
    Switch barrels to a rifled barrel and take deer, with the right load, in excess of 150 yards.

Some states allow only shotguns for deer hunting and they are more than adequate - my husband was stationed in Delaware for a while, and I had to use a shotgun to deer hunt there.

If you are recoil sensitive (and pump shotguns WILL have stout recoil with heavy loads), check into semi-auto shotguns and recoil pads.

Anyway, that's my .02 !

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Welcome aboard!

Do you know what make/model/caliber rifle you usually hunted with when you went with your Dad (if you were using a deer rifle)?

Just wondering what you have been used to hunting with....

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Welcome aboard.

bayoubell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Marksville
    I used to go with my dad down broullette.. i think thats how you spell it ..lol i live in belldeau now. i may go with a friend in morouville this season.. im not sure yet .. im talking to my dad to see what his plans are.. but so far it seems like hes pretty buisy and wont be making many hunts so im trying to do it on my own.. great quote by the way.. i love Ernest Hemingway..

bayoubell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Marksville
    i believe sometimes i used a savage 308 but im not sure.. il have to ask him. thats what my problem is i cant remember which rifles i used that i like.. i do remember likeing the 17 hmr.. its very accurate..

bayoubell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Marksville
    thats great advice thank you.. i dont like a gun with alot of recoil...but i know that to avoid recoil i will be spending more than i would like..lol.. times are hard so i may just have to suffer...

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Down brouillette is so classic Avoyelles I had to laugh( with you of course)!
    We hunt across the bayou from Beldeau and have several friends that are from there.
    A good .22lr is a good and cheaper alternative to a .17 hmr.
    A 20 ga is a good all around gun to have as well.
    I'd suggest something in .243 or .270 for a first rifle. I'm partial to Remington but savage makes very good rifles as well.

If you go to Pookies bring someone with you that can decipher his bull sh..

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Down brouillette is so classic Avoyelles I had to laugh( with you of course)!

If you go to Pookies bring someone with you that can decipher his bull sh..

Fo'Real right? lol

I should have started out with 'Who's ya, daddy girl?' then she'd have really felt at home :mamoru:

...and we'd know who she is :rofl:

Anyway is Pookie dealing guns? in Hessmer?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Pookies Archery and Firearms on Hwy1 Marksville.
    How long has it been since you've come back to The Parish?

I come back fairly often, just to Hessmer though Bunkie.
    If I go to Marksville I use Lapin ln or Dewey Benard.
    If I come from Echo/Cheneyville cut off I turn @ Odells to Hessmer.

So eitherway I guess I never make it to that part of Hwy 1.

I actually never drive through Bunkie either. I usually pass through 1176 back by the McCoy's and then behind Tanner Lake to the Correctional Facility.

Top Bottom