Unsolicited DVD from the NRA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    In today's mail, I received an unsolicited DVD from NRA. Included in the mailing is a form to A) accept and pay for this DVD and receive future DVD's or to B)decline and return this first one.

I'm pretty certain that I can't be held responsible to pay for anything shipped to my house unsolicited. The letter mentions that fact as well, but not nearly as prominently as the other options to accept or return.

Here's my question. The return is pre-paid and fairly simple. I don't mind doing that to prevent more of these unsolicited items from coming to my mailbox. But if I just fail to respond, will they also stop coming? Has anyone here already dealt with this obnoxious marketing ploy from NRA?

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I've gotten a few of those and threw them away. Also got a few of these heavy metal coins with some card to "pay for it". Throw those away too. Haven't been a member for at least a year and they still send me crap in my email and to my door even though I called and told them to stop. :mad:

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Wait a few minutes. There will be a chorus of posters in here defending their tactics because they are doing gods work, blah, blah, blah...

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I got in and threw it away. I received 10-12 notices after that I should pay for it, and threw those away too. They design them to look like bills, but if you read the verbage you are not liable to pay them anything.

It's the paper equivalent of a computer spam/virus attack. **** them.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Here's my question. The return is pre-paid and fairly simple. I don't mind doing that to prevent more of these unsolicited items from coming to my mailbox. But if I just fail to respond, will they also stop coming? Has anyone here already dealt with this obnoxious marketing ploy from NRA?

I've had this happen in the past. I was told, as you state, that if you don't order anything and you receive something unsolicited, you can do what you want with it -- except be obligated to pay. The NRA sent me a self-defense DVD (one of a series) and I sent it back. I swear, if I get it again, I'm keepin' it this time.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I've gotten both a coin and a DVD from the NRA. Both came with the standard, "if you don't want to pay, return it" letter. I read the letter, seen where I wasn't obligated to pay, and threw them in the gun cabinet.

I wouldn't say it was a hassle at all. It took less then a minute to open both. Usually, the NRA junk mail gets tossed on the side or thrown away. I'm out of maybe three seconds of my life while sorting the mail. I never understood why people get so upset over it. Do I think it's foolish, yes, but it doesn't get me worked up.

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    I'd be willing to send it back if it was likely to stop them sending this series of unwanted crap. But sending it back might just give them an indication that I actually open and read their junk mail, resulting in an increased volume of junk. Probably won't matter either way, and I'll just trash their frequent mailings like I do the stuff from other groups and companies.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    We seem to be having a run of NRA bashing threads lately . It kind of goes in cycles . I guess it will run its course and we'll be back on WalMart again shortly .

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    I wouldn't say it was a hassle at all. It took less then a minute to open both. Usually, the NRA junk mail gets tossed on the side or thrown away. I'm out of maybe three seconds of my life while sorting the mail. I never understood why people get so upset over it. Do I think it's foolish, yes, but it doesn't get me worked up.

Because some people just look for a reason to bitch and moan

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I'd be willing to send it back if it was likely to stop them sending this series of unwanted crap. But sending it back might just give them an indication that I actually open and read their junk mail, resulting in an increased volume of junk. Probably won't matter either way, and I'll just trash their frequent mailings like I do the stuff from other groups and companies.

Funny coincidence -- the NRA guy (salaried employee), who posts here every time he needs support from the membership, never chimes in on the fund-raising threads.

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    Because some people just look for a reason to bitch and moan

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I'm just looking for information on the best way to reduce the volume and let the NRA put their money to better use than sending me offers that I will never accept. I get lots of junk mail other than NRA, and as stated above, it takes only seconds to send it to the landfill. I was just hoping that someone knew an effective way to deter the NRA spinoff marketers.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I don't get NRA mail more than once or twice a month, and it is usually just American Rifleman. When I signed up I made sure to check and not check all the right boxes to not share my information with partners. The NRA does a lot to help gun related business owners, mostly through affordable gun friendly insurance and gun friendly payment methods.

OH, and I am a NRA member and a NRA business alliance member....

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    Funny coincidence -- the NRA guy (salaried employee), who posts here every time he needs support from the membership, never chimes in on the fund-raising threads.

I think it is a good choice that he doesn't. No matter the direction the thread takes, it will end up being a no win situation on his end.
    Someone is going to post a sarcastic or offensively worded question towards him, and he loses both ways.
    If he chooses to ignore it, and not answer, then he ends up with a resounding chorus of "See, so much for the NRA, we can't even get an answer."
    If he does answer or respond, he gets hit with, "Great attitude, buddy! See if we ever fool with your crap again!"
    The only response he can give is, "It's the organization's method of fundraising." In which case, he'll be blasted for giving a cookie cutter response.
    The NRA does a lot of fighting and lobbying on behalf of the 2A supporters. It only takes a second to toss unwanted letters/packages in the can.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom