Best Brand of AK-47

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    MR O could write an executive order and bypass the house/senate

Errr no. The President can dictate a Policy via Executive Order. He can not author a law and legislate. A firearms related example; Following the National Firearms Act which laid out Machine Guns as a taxable item, the then President FDR issued and executive order instructing that no Machine Gun Tax Stamps were to be issued. Since you couldn't buy the stamps you couldn't legally own the machine gun. He did not have the power to change the law and make Machine Guns illegal. He cannot issue an AWB by executive order. I understand Obama is wildly unpopular here but really a lot of y'all need to brush up on civics.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Errr no. The President can dictate a Policy via Executive Order. He can not author a law and legislate. A firearms related example; Following the National Firearms Act which laid out Machine Guns as a taxable item, the then President FDR issued and executive order instructing that no Machine Gun Tax Stamps were to be issued. Since you couldn't buy the stamps you couldn't legally own the machine gun. He did not have the power to change the law and make Machine Guns illegal. He cannot issue an AWB by executive order. I understand Obama is wildly unpopular here but really a lot of y'all need to brush up on civics.

Good to hear. I am on the bottom of the totum pole when it comes to politics, and was under the impression from others' attitudes that I better buy one NOW if I would ever want one. Maybe I should get "politics for dummies".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

To make matters worse, they are more of a threat to the gun community than Obama is(in my opinion). If you go chicken little, freak out, drive the prices up, you are cutting people out who can't afford to spend as much. Why not just look at the world realistically and act accordingly. As for the people saying they are prepping, that should have been done, you don't start prepping every time a president you don't like gets elected.

I don't know the guys at southland, but to me, that is an irresponsible statement. It was caused by either ignorance, or worse. I'm hoping ignorance, because that can be corrected. Please read up before you say things like that, especially when one could see a relation between higher gun prices and better profit margins for you. It can really make you look bad, even if you don't mean it that way.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette

I'm not at all commenting on the probability of occurrence for what I'm going to mention, but merely commenting on the feasibility.

If the Pres wanted to abuse his power to enact de-facto bans, it would be through abuse of ATF/OSHA/Import regs and economic sanctions. Declaring that gunpowder is a hazardous material unsafe for our noble delivery drivers tasked with bringing our children their books, our wives their 50 Shades of Grey, and our food from hard working farmers around the country... and that no driver should have to worry about lead poisoning, and gun powder and all these dangerous explosives... blah blah I'm saying it is possible. Like I said - likely? /shrug Import and BATFE abuses are already on record so I figure I shouldn't require examples - you cite a pretty effective one yourself through Executive Order.

Jeaux E

TROMIX Fan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2007
    Little Rock
    Arsenal is a good buy, and Atlantic Firearms is a good place to buy it !!
    (BTW, TROMIX isn't doing rifles at this point in time.........., only the Saiga S-12's......)

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Arsenal is a good buy, and Atlantic Firearms is a good place to buy it !!
    (BTW, TROMIX isn't doing rifles at this point in time.........., only the Saiga S-12's......)
    Thanks, I wasn't 100% - I know he focused on the S12s but didn't know if he still opened up to rifles when he took his annual orders, or not..

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I'm no AK expert, but love my M+M 10. Eats everything, very accurate, enjoy the Phoenix Kicklite it came with, of course I love my AR more, though. Just personal preference from the Army.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    1st. Chinese
    2nd. Arsenal
    3rd. anything not from Century....
    43rd. Anything Century

DSC00092.jpg

Darteres

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Alexandria, LA
    Yugo's are great. Bulgarian's are great. Chinese are great. I like the side-folders for pure practical reasons, but the underfolders have a soft spot in my heart.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    A country is not a brand. While some countries do make better parts/designs than others, the quality of the rifle is ultimately up to the builder. I'd take a beat up Romanian built by Jim Fuller over a beautiful milled Bulgarian built by Century anyday.

Best bang-for-the-buck in an off the shelf rifle IMO are the Arsenal Saiga conversions (SGL series). They're not collectible or pretty, but functionally they're about as good as an AK can get and are as close as you'll come to a new production Russian AK.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    A kit build or Saiga conversion done by someone who knows their stuff. If you wanna pay Arsenal prices for the latter, so be it-- but keep in mind that they're something of a mass producer, and I have personally seen a couple with the QC issues that will plague any big company. (Not dogging the brand-- if I were new to the industry and market, that's probably where I'd take my business.)

Everyone that I know with a solid build that fits the above description (ESPECIALLY from one of the really good kits that used to flow like water) are holding on to them, unfortunately. There was a time where you could pick up fabulous rifles at low prices from folks just looking to cull their herd a bit.

That said-- if you know a guy with a spare of decent quality... butter him up a bit.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Biggest bang for your AK buck these days IMO are the FEG based AMD-65's from TGI. VERY light gun, horrible stock as it comes. But...the great news is a $35.00 adaptor from AMD-65 tech solves that problem/issue and you can either be good to go, or use a rail system as I did. Still, around $500 for the rifle, $35 for adaptor, and you've got a VERY accurate, light weight folding package that is dead nutts reliable. (have to say it but I got mine thru Buds for the grand total of $429 with free shipping :) ). Even when adding a rail system from MI, I'm still well under Arsenal pricing for a gun that is precisely how I wanted it, not how others wanted me to have it.

With that being said, Arsenal is THE commercial build for no fuss (except for the finish which is good, but not as exceptional as the rest of the build), no muss shooting or TEOTWAWKI.

Norinco? Great and simple (as they're supposed to be) but a tad pricey out there these days and you almost don't want any mods cause it's so simple and good just like Comrade K wanted it.

Century? Hit/miss and you better have a return option or examine the gun yourself imo. Canted sights and other goofs of late that I've personally seen. With that being said, I own a CI built Yugo underfolder that is the shiznit as far as fit and finish goes. But I got to check it out before the bucks were spent and it was built pre 2005 (thanks again Jason :) ). Fairly accurate too with more than minute of head out to 150 meters or so.

Also search GBroker for "Armory USA" builds and/or "Ohio Rapid Fire" builds. They are out there but the AK community is hip to their quality and they are priced accordingly. Have owned several Armory USA (out of Houston) in the past and those are some of the few I regret not keeping. Definately up there with Arsenal in quality, chrome bores, tighter than normal fits and ran like scalded dogs. Ditto with milled SLR-95's by both Arsenal USA and Armory USA.

Since you asked, these would be what and how I'd be looking for "The Best Brands of AK", at least whats out there now.

Hope this helps and welcome to the darkside. :)

egl1962

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    A country is not a brand. While some countries do make better parts/designs than others, the quality of the rifle is ultimately up to the builder. I'd take a beat up Romanian built by Jim Fuller over a beautiful milled Bulgarian built by Century anyday.

Best bang-for-the-buck in an off the shelf rifle IMO are the Arsenal Saiga conversions (SGL series). They're not collectible or pretty, but functionally they're about as good as an AK can get and are as close as you'll come to a new production Russian AK.
    i hear that, he is fixing to ship me my slr-107ur "krink" he is doing for me next week!

Top Bottom