Best Brand of AK-47

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    With the election and talks of bans and all that, I've about decided to purchase an AK-47. I looked through some archives, but couldn't find a straight out thread for this topic, probably is one someone though. I've never really cared for the look of them, but I've never shot one either and you can't argue that they're not battle proven. Anyway, I know some of you are AK conesuers, so I thought perhaps you could give me some of the better brands and the most reliable. I appreciate your help. I would like to stick to 7.62 X 39.

Josh

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I purchased a Yugo underfolder a week or so ago and love it. It appears to have a better fit and finish than the Romanian wasr

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

jbadjones

Rating - 96.7%
    119   4   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Natchitoches
    I think the majority is going to lean towards the Arsenal line of AK's. Basically a top of the line saiga conversion is what they are. Usually around $800 for the SGL-21. Wish I would have picked them up when they were alot cheaper, but still, at that price you're getting a top of the line weapon that will definitely stand up to the beating we put it through reenacting Red Dawn in the living room.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    A WASR that you can inspect in-person for known common defects is one of the best bargains, but you gotta know what you're looking for. This video by Jim Fuller is a great bit of advice on that topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0BP2_hcffs but that means you have to be able to inspect it in person before purchase. You can save some bucks that way, though. I think you can still find WASRs for what... $350-400?

The same thing goes for Century Arms. They also have a bad rep and little-to-no-warranty support, so inspecting their firearms prior to purchase comes with the same "buyer beware" These can be $400-500 I think.

I've seen a good bit about M+M but don't know much about them. I believe they fall between Arsenal and those cheaper options.

Next up on the price scale, I would say are Arsenal converted Saigas, and I've heard nothing but good about Arsenal's customer service, and they do have a limited warranty. These can be $600-1000 depending on options and styles

There are a bunch of other companies around or just above Arsenal's price point that do good work but may not have the volume of reviews to know how good the company is in reliability and warranty.

Then you're really entering the 'custom builder' realm where you're paying for brand name some, though they're often backed up with impeccable warranty as well. Popularly enough are Krebs, Red Jacket, Tromix, Rifle Dynamics, and what not. Probably some I'm forgetting.

Depends on what you want. Arsenal is famed for reliability in the function of their build at a budgetable price, however I think their finish is subpar, and the trigger not as good as a Tapco G2. Great guns though. They do what an AK should, which is to say, go bang every time. Probably the most common suggestion I see around forums for people wanting to buy an AK over the internet.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    A Norinco, if you can find one.

The Arsenals are A+. All the known brands will be of amazing quality but be ready to pay the price. Sometimes you get lucky with the Century's even though I had had pretty bad luck with them in the past, all had crooked front sights.

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    +1 for a Norinco--specifically a MAK90. Best bang for the buck, IMO. They're abundant, reliable, and will easily keep their value if you don't tacti-tard it out. Plus they can be had for less than most any Arsenal.

I believe Smokeless bought a Waffenwerks AK recently that I got to look at. I'd definitely go with one of those as well.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    In descending order
    Norinco
    Arsenal
    Polish Beryl/Archer
    Yugo
    Bulgy
    Romanian WASR--if a Century build check the sights for cant.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I had a milled polish AK put together by century arms that I loved. Paid $600 for it here on the forums.

Really regret selling it :( But a good buddy of mine is giving it a good home.

Thing was smooth smooth smooth and very accurate. Beautiful too. Ah well easy come easy go maybe I'll find another like it one day.

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    Center fire has 7.62 x39 vepr for $499 and u can install a bullet guide and mag catch for a few bucks to use standard ak mags. That's the best in my opinion...

You should probably buy one of those new Romanian packages from classic for 499...

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    FWIW any AWB would have to be passed by a Republican Controlled House of Reps. Unless you gotta have now if you wait 3 or 4 months the Panic Buy will be over and prices will stabilize.

egl1962

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    any of the chicom ak's are good. i like polytech. arsenals are real nice and are new guns not rebuilt surplus. the arsenal classics are about as good as it gets. i like the bulgarian arsenal slr's better than the sgl's myself. also look at a hungarian ak. they are top notch. stay away from century arms products. as cheap as they are, they are still not worth the money. buy a good ak and you will be set.

Top Bottom