Opinion on Waffen Werks AK's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I have no personal experience with them, but a member of another forum I belong to had an epic struggle with them...purchased a "Russian Red" AK 74...it took months to be delivered, when it arrived it was nothing like the description, and had several manufacturing defects (very poor quality). He tried to get them to fix the problems and they refused to acknowledge there were any problems, and in the end he FINALLY got a refund, but only after uncounted phone calls, emails and registered letters. This is just anecdotal, I know...but the way a company handles customer service speaks volumes.

rasputin

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Plaquemine
    I've been doing alot of research on the wafffen werks AK's and I've not turned up any negatives. I know they've gone with another barrel manufacturer about 4mos ago because of availibility problems with their original supplier. The new barrels are supposed to be every bit as good as the Green Mountain's they were originally using.

Darteres

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Alexandria, LA
    Had a Waffen Werks Ak74. Great gun. Great finish. Accurate enough to bust clay pigeons at 100 yards offhand. Ran the cheap ammo like nobody's business. The only thing I didn't like was that the muzzle brake (a true bulgarian replica made in the USA) did not have chrome lining on the ports at the front. It just had it in the expansion chamber. It even came with a retainer plate instead of a shepard's crook. I put an east german side-folder on it. Handy little package. I sold it to a buddy of mine to fund another project, but I'll be buying it back in two weeks when I get my Christmas bonus.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I've owned one in the past. EXCELLENT build. Only reason I got rid of it was that I standardized on 7.62x39 rather than the 5.45(was my only foray into AK74's :) ). Can't speak to others and obviously there have been a problem or two (which maker hasn't of late frankly) but I think you're on solid ground.

From AK's I've come to expect to tweak them. As I do with pretty much everything I buy these days. Even Arsenal's, THE best commercial AK on the market that is not a true custom build, have finish issues (read their warnings about solvents on the finish). I'm a die hard AK fan, currently have two, and if I was looking for an AK74 (IIRC, that is all that WW is building these days) I'd buy one from them in a minute.

Just my .02.

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Completely out of left field. But does anyone else find it peculiar that an outfit named Waffen Werks is building Kalashnikovs instead of Sturmgewehrs.

[/derail]

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    Completely out of left field. But does anyone else find it peculiar that an outfit named Waffen Werks is building Kalashnikovs instead of Sturmgewehrs.

[/derail]

Germany produced many more AK over a longer period than they produced Stg rifles...

But back to topic. I've been able to handle and shoot one owned by a friend in Colorado. Great rifle. However, the number of complaints on gun boards over their recent quality and customer service is concerning (but is it real?).

Top Bottom