Any M!A Shooters Out There?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    I drag mine out every so often.

DSC00034.jpg

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Still have two heavy-barrel builds based on Armscorp receivers, with 4 stocks (Oversize painted, Oversize Birch stained/BLO, Issue Fiberglass, Issue Walnut stained/BLO. Don't really like the Springfield scope mount, looking for a Bassett. Always happy to post photos.

View attachment 32500View attachment 32501

Last edited:

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    I have a preban Polytech set up with a Sadlak Industries mount and a Trijicon Accupoint. Had Warbird Gunsmithing install a TRW bolt and headspace, map the receiver and true it, replace the rear sight with USGI and repark the rifle. Nice shooter.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Had my S.A.Pre-ban out at Sherburne last week with a co-worker who bought his 6 month old S.A."Loaded" gun...I love shooting these things but it does get a little costly though....Without a doubt, one of my favorite rifles to shoot iron sights with.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Have not taken mine out with the cost of the 308 bulk South African Battle Packs through the roof and hard to find. I remember paying $25 for 140rds. Took my S.A. in a Sage stock (Sage stock given to my by a buddy who used it in Afghanistan. So it has sentimental value!) Took a nice deer with it last season.

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Nice to see some fellow M1A owners on this site. I bought a loaded model about 6 months ago and just fitted it with a Nikon 4-14 BDC scope using a Sadlak mount. Bore sighted it but haven't fired the first round through it yet. Was wondering about ammo prefrences, likes and dislikes. Just ordered a bulk pack of Federal 150gr FMJ from Cabela's. Best price I've found on bulk ammo. $169.99 for 200 rounds. With the discount card I got in the mail and free shipping it came to about $.83 per round.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Last time at the range me and my buddy with our M1As shot out to 100 yds with iron sights only. Mine is a standard pre-ban and he has a newer Loaded model. We compared Herters to some South African surplus ammo and decided that there was essentially no difference in terms of accuracy--groups were very similar and can't say one is better than the other at 100 yds. Now, since your putting a scope on it I'm guessing your planning on shooting at a longer distance and would just guess that at the longer distances, you may see some differences. IIRC the Herters was 147gr. When you take it out tell us how you did with it!!

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I will. The reason for the scope is old eyes. Although I do like to shoot longer distances out past 200 to 300 yards. The rifle will shoot well beyond that but that's about my limit even with the scope.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Know all about that!!! I"m 11 years younger than you and 100 yds thru the irons is sometimes challenging. If I wanted/needed to shoot farther out I'd have to go the scope route too..I gotta say I do love shooting this rifle. I had a HK91 for years and shot it occasionally but sold it to a co-worker to get the M1A, which I"ve wanted for a while since owning a Polytech one back in the 90's. Actually, I sold that Polytech to get the HK!! Anyway, its my favorite rifle to shoot!!

oldsman350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Hammond
    I own an M1A too. Mine has the Sage EBR stock, Larue cantilever scope mount with a Millet TRS1. Had the trigger worked on and put in a Sadlak NM gas piston and spring guide. Love my M1A and love the looks I get from people amazed at the way the Sage EBR makes the M1a look. Maybe we need an M1A club since the FAL boys do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      225.1 KB · Views: 166

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Was hoping to get out to Sherburn over the Thanksgiving holiday but didn't make it. I have been a big fan of US military weapons since I was a kid. To me the M1A is the crown jewel. I have wanted one for a long time. My son carried the M14 EBR in Afghanistan and really liked it. Targets out to 1000m were not uncommon where he was at. In the pics he sent me it looks a lot like the pic oldsman350 posted. Would be nice to get a bunch of us together and go shoot sometime since we're all pretty much local.
    I've been thinking about joining Hunters Run just to have a place close to go shoot.
    Do any of you reload?

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Still nice grouping even at that distance!! Maybe we do need a get together!!

Top Bottom