Winchester mod. 70 300wsm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jslj11244

Big John
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Jefferson Parish
    I have a mod. 70 winchester in 300 wsm. When I shoot between 8 and 10 rounds at the range the bolt freezes up and its
    extreamly hard to open the action. I only go to the range a couple of times a year. Right before the deer season and right after. I never go when it is really hot. I have tried just about every oil or greese mentioned on the forum and nothing helps. The best I found is Lubriplate-1 which does not dry up while shooting but the bolt still freezes up. And once it locks up and I do get the bolt open if I dont apply a good amount of oil it has problems feeding the next shell.Any help would be appriciated

Last edited:

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    are you shooting factory ammo or reloads? ive heard of issues like this from a load being on the edge and after the chamber heats up its putting it over pressure

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    did you buy the rifle new? if so what has been your cleaning practice? if not new did you clean it well after you recieved it? not sure if its possible but it would seem like it could be. if the barrel is excessivly fouled maybe its causing added pressure. i have no proof this could happen and honstly don't know if it could just throwing stuff out there. wsms are pretty high pressure rounds so it wouldn't take a whole lot to over pressure.

i would probably have a gunsmith take a look at the rifle. a factory gun in proper working order with multiple different factory ammos shouldn't be locking the bolt up.

jslj11244

Big John
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Jefferson Parish
    Its not dirty if anything I clean it too much lol. Been around weapons all my life and am 67 years old. I used to clean it every time it is fired if only once. I use Areokroil on all my guns and soak it and scrub wher i can, and only stop when I don't see any signs of a diry patch or q-tip. It was bought new and was one of the first ones to hit the shelves when they were produced

Last edited:
    Top Bottom