M1 Carbine, Gold trigger, mag release, bolt handle, and forward barrel strap?????????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    I just picked up a Plainfield Machine M1 Carbine. By serial number it appears to be a 1962-1965 built rifle. It's in ok shape for the age but gonna do a restoration on it. I have one BIG question, this is my first M1 and am wandering if the bolt handle, trigger, mag release and forward barrel strap are supposed to be brass or plated??? Mine has a gold tint that you can see in the pics. It is worn so I want to know what to do with that part. Re dip it, polish it or what???

any M1 experts out there please help me out and any information on these would be great. All I have read is it is an early model so still likely all USGI parts which is nice. I will be checking makers marks when I strip it for restoration. IMG956276.jpgIMG955290.jpgIMG954688.jpgIMG954098.jpg

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    No, the gold/brass plating is not GI. All GI M1 Carbines were originally parkerized.

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    Gonna check out those articles thanks.
    I know the GI carbines werent polished brass, I'm wondering who made polished bras components like this or were the parts parkerized and someone refinished and polished them or were they made of brass and someone just polished them. I've look around online and can't find anything about brass compnents on these.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Gonna check out those articles thanks.
    I know the GI carbines werent polished brass, I'm wondering who made polished bras components like this or were the parts parkerized and someone refinished and polished them or were they made of brass and someone just polished them. I've look around online and can't find anything about brass compnents on these.

My bet is someone had the original parts plated. They also swapped out the rear sight for an aftermarket aperture sight. And from what I can see in the photo looks like someone took a hack saw and file to the
    "ears" on the front sight. BTW, Plainfield carbines were regarded as the better of the commercial made carbines produced in that time frame. Many of them used quite a few surplus USGI parts. If the bbl is in decent shape it will likely make a nice shooter.

Last edited:

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    Yeah I've read that about them actually being good shooting guns. They did definitely cut the ears off the front sight. There is still little bumps where they didn't file smooth. Haven't decided if I'm gonna change that or just clean it up and leave it. Really would like the picatinny up top or quad rails like an M1a socom but don't wanna take away from the vintage look. Depepnding on how the stock comes out will decide alot. If I can't get the little dents and stuff out I will just black the whole rifle, put a picatinny and probably try and polish the brass for a little style. If I get the stock to come out nice then Iwill try and sticl with the vintage look.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Seems like I can recall some "presentation" or commemorative versions of the carbine had gold colored plating on certain parts (usually overpriced offerings in the back pages of VFW magazine). Any unusual printing on it that might indicate this?

Last edited:

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    I have found a couple pictures of those special edition gold plated ones. The whole receiver was gold plated. I didn't see any gspecial markings on mine but I haven't stripped it yet. Also I'm really thinking it's not gold, if it was it was a cheap plating because normally good gold wouldn't tarnish. This looks more like brass

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom