AR mags...what would you buy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I'm in the market for some AR 30rd mags. Currently, which seem to be the best? I know a lot of you guys run your AR's in classes and such, and see what works and what doesn't. If you were buying mags today, what would you buy?

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I run GI metal mags, the ones that dont work get marked and used for training or depending on why they dont work I break them down for parts. I have some pmags, but I dont really care as long as they work. Mags are disposable.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Lancers. Ultra reliable just like PMAGs, but metal feed lips mean you can leave them loaded without those covers and it wont mess up the mags.

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    Kengel2....when you say GI mags, do you mean used ones? Or are you buying new GI mags from somewhere? Only asking because I see "GI" mags advertised from different mfg.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I use both Pmags and Lancers. Nola Jack is right about the lancers having metal feed lips but that's both a blessing and a curse. If you bang them against a 25 pound dumbbell I'll take a Pmag any day.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Kengel2....when you say GI mags, do you mean used ones? Or are you buying new GI mags from somewhere? Only asking because I see "GI" mags advertised from different mfg.

i use Okay ind, C products, and D&H ind are the ones I have now. I do have some pmags and they are nice, but I wont go out of my way to grab the pmags.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    P-mags are great, metal USGI ones from C-products are nice too. I have some of the teflon coated ones, they feed awesome. I use both, just depends what I'm doing.

Bam Bam

cookiemonster

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Vidalia, La
    I like pmags. Plus when you get bored you can decorate them. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354244188.592078.jpg

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I used to be 100% PMAG, then picked up some Lancers (old and new Revision) to try out.

I'm switching the bulk of my mags out to the new Lancers, especially after VT Carbine 1.5 earlier this month.

PMAGs stick in both of my current rifles, and I'm sure they will do the same in my future-primary. That nifty little flip move that Chris Costa does didn't come about for no reason, I've decided. I want something that'll drop free even at steeper angles (since my rifle loads tend to look like my pistol loads, as a result of thousands upon thousands of repetitions with the handgun).

Like Jack said-- the dust cover/feed lip issue being negated is also pretty awesome. And the overall "streamlined" feel to the Lancers appeals to me as well.

I'll definitely keep a lot of my PMAGs and wouldn't feel like I was poorly equipped if it's all I had. But the L5's by choice, no question.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Lancer L5AWM > PMag > GI > Used Condom > HK Mag

I think the Lancers and PMags are pretty much on par with each other. Either will serve the average civilian well, don't get hung up on the details. I just prefer the Lancers for some reason.

Whatever mags you buy, don't trust ANY of them until you've run through them a few times, every brand is capable of putting out bad ones.

Last edited:

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    NHMTG aluminum magazines are great. NHMTG produces magazines under the name Okay and also makes the magazines for Colt that Colt ships with their rifles. great magazine for twelve bucks. I also use Pmags. Never tried lancers, but I may need to from what I read here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    The bulk of my magazines are D&H with Magpul followers or C Products... I made the mistake of asking about polymer magazines on ar15.com and that opened up a whole can of GD style worms in the technical forums. My main concern about the polymer magazines was compatibility with my Gen 1 POF Billet lower awaiting a SBR build.

Top Bottom