Lets begin...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbrady77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Wilmer
    Ok, so I started my introduction saying that I wanted to crash course on the AR platform. I will begin with the questions now.

1. 5.56 vs .223. I keep hearing that they are "technically" the same and that all AR's with a 5.56 x 45 upper are designed to fire both. This goes against everything I've been taught with any other rifle and it seems that ANY difference, even 1/100 mm, will eventually cause undue wear on the rifling. Am I missing something?

2. There are so many many manufacturers of lowers and uppers for AR, but I have heard that ALL of those manufacturers get their parts from one of 3-4 suppliers. Is this true?

3. Are all magnifiers created equal? I was told that ALL magnifiers will cause distortion of the holographic sight Reticles. Is this true?

4. Beta Mags? Some say they are crap because the spring tension isn't strong enough and they will cause jams. Others say they are the best thing since sliced bread. Any clarification?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    +1

My experience is that questions are welcomed and folks willingly share their knowledge. You would be well advised to spend some time in this sub-forum, studying older threads. That will give you a more rounded knowledge base to work from. Many here have solid info, but some have breadth of knowledge and long term, hands on, real world experience that you will profit from. A little research will tell you who they are. They are the ones you should listen to.

Maybe deal with one question at a time; two at most.

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom