NFA the trust way...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhunt261

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Central Community
    Ok, I've been reading and re-reading about making NFA via a trust. I have three questions that I'm not sure about.
    1. Are there fees for the 2 state forms and if so, how much?
    2. I file a form 1 to the ATF with a $200 fee, with a certification form?
    3. Once the item is made, do I need to refile with form 4???

Thanks...

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Ok, I've been reading and re-reading about making NFA via a trust. I have three questions that I'm not sure about.
    1. Are there fees for the 2 state forms and if so, how much?
    2. I file a form 1 to the ATF with a $200 fee, with a certification form?
    3. Once the item is made, do I need to refile with form 4???

Thanks...

A couple of things first. If you are going the trust route, set that up first. I used an attorney to do this.
    Then make sure that what you want is legal to have or make. Aroundlsu has a good post about the SBR process in this section. Read this also.

1. No fees from the state police, just a registration process. This is the first step. I just filled out the form to" make a firearm"
    2. Once your state form comes back to you, send that along with your form-1 a check for $200, and your trust documents if you go that route.
    3. You only procede to make the item "after" you receive your approved form- 1 and no more forms. Just enjoy.

FWIW, I did not send in any citizenship cert. forms in and so far all of my forms have been approved. But it may just be that it's a trust and not an individual. YMMV

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    I think I am going to go this way for a silencer .. but I have to wait til after christmas.. I hope the prophet doesnt make any changes right away and mess me up...:D

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    So is that a form 1-A and check for $200 for each item you purchase or make?

You fill out a form 1 to make an item such as an SBR, SBS, or your own silencer. You fill out a form 4 to purchase an item already made from someone else or a manufacturer. Every item has a $200 one time tax. If you buy an item from another individual out of state, you have two $200 transfer fees involved. So it's always better to buy an item from a manufacturer or dealer on a form 3 unless you get one hell of a deal or get the seller to pay their fee. There is no fee to transfer an item from a form 3. So when you shop for the item these are some of the things you look for. But there is almost no market for used suppressors because of the transfer fees. If I remember correctly an instate person to person transfer only has one transfer fee.

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom