Experience With Shooting CCI Quiet .22 Through a Suppressor?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Has anyone tried to shoot a very slow .22lr round through a suppressor at the end of a rifle?

I want shoot CCI Quiet 22 lr specifically; but I suppose any experience with any manufacturer's similar bullet would work. I know that the CCI's will not auto eject from my Ruger 10/22 rifle and that is not an issue for me going forward. I would have already tried it, but just don't want to take chance on a fail. Is it safe?

Bear in mind, the CCI Quiet 22 is rated at 710 fps.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    I have shot CCI Quiet through both my MKII and my 10/22 using a Sparrow and a Spectre II.
    Sure, it's quiet but it definitely does not cycle the action.
    I prefer Wolf Match for use with my cans.
    Almost as quiet and it cycles.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have shot CCI Quiet through both my MKII and my 10/22 using a Sparrow and a Spectre II.
    Sure, it's quiet but it definitely does not cycle the action.
    I prefer Wolf Match for use with my cans.
    Almost as quiet and it cycles.

Great! Safe? Check!

Now the most important question. Is it actually noticeably quieter than a CB 22 shot normally?

I have an MKII as well. So it is germane to my exact situation.

CB's though the MKII sound slightly louder (or not), than a Benjamin pump air rifle. I am looking the quietest shot combo.

Last edited:

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Don't know about the CB comparison since I don't shoot them in my firearms.
    No frame of reference.
    However, if they do sound about like a Benjamin, the silencer is definitely quieter, even with Wolf ammo.
    (And if you shoot it wet, it is quieter still.)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I will try a suppressed Quiet .22 through my MKII w/Sparrow and 10/22 with same.

Apparently, the Quiet .22lr is equivalent to the CB Long. I have shot volleys of the CB's through the MKII and it is a range of audible variances (though minute in some cases). In fact, I have noticed that in one magazine full, I would notice some with some crispy snaps to some where only the action of the MKII was noticeable. I have never tried a CB or Q22 through my suppressed 10/22.

If I can achieve this type of quiet with the Q22's through the 10/22 then my quest to eradicate scavenging raccoons at my deer feeders whilst in the midst of a deer hunt will come full circle. I have picked them off with my MKII, but at close distances (archery hunting), the others haul ass when they hear the action on top of the snap. And, since they do not auto eject my movement is picked up as well, not to mention having to rack the slide. So it is slow going throughout the hunt. My firsthand accounts convince me the deer are unaffected by the sound unless they are already in sight. From a distance with the scoped 10/22, I could essentially take out many in a hunt, and have no worry that the sound will spook deer.

I will be happy to report my findings and my kill pics!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I will try a suppressed Quiet .22 through my MKII w/Sparrow and 10/22 with same.

Apparently, the Quiet .22lr is equivalent to the CB Long. I have shot volleys of the CB's through the MKII and it is a range of audible variances (though minute in some cases). In fact, I have noticed that in one magazine full, I would notice some with some crispy snaps to some where only the action of the MKII was noticeable. I have never tried a CB or Q22 through my suppressed 10/22.

If I can achieve this type of quiet with the Q22's through the 10/22 then my quest to eradicate scavenging raccoons at my deer feeders whilst in the midst of a deer hunt will come full circle. I have picked them off with my MKII, but at close distances (archery hunting), the others haul ass when they hear the action on top of the snap. And, since they do not auto eject my movement is picked up as well, not to mention having to rack the slide. So it is slow going throughout the hunt. My firsthand accounts convince me the deer are unaffected by the sound unless they are already in sight. From a distance with the scoped 10/22, I could essentially take out many in a hunt, and have no worry that the sound will spook deer.

I will be happy to report my findings and my kill pics!

I look forward to your report :]

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Some food for thought. I have a box of CCI CB's rated @710fps, and a box of CCI LR quiet's @710fps. The CB's are launching a 29gr projectile, while the LR quiet is launching 40gr projectiles.

I don't have or have had a .22lr weapon that has the right twist for such a light projectile. The quiet's with the 40gr projectile always gives me better accuracy.
    In a single shot bolt action with 16" barrel there is very little difference in the report.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    it makes a difference if you are using a pistol or rifle . rifle tends to make even the regular velocity stuff pretty quiet with a can.. the 710 to 950 range is where I look for it with a rifle..
    pistol, for me regardless of ammo is loud in comparison.

I have had zero luck in finding anything in a pistol very quiet without a can.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Some food for thought. I have a box of CCI CB's rated @710fps, and a box of CCI LR quiet's @710fps. The CB's are launching a 29gr projectile, while the LR quiet is launching 40gr projectiles.

I don't have or have had a .22lr weapon that has the right twist for such a light projectile. The quiet's with the 40gr projectile always gives me better accuracy.
    In a single shot bolt action with 16" barrel there is very little difference in the report.

The Q22's are accurate at close range. The bullet drop beyond 25 yds is significant. I shoot blackbirds in the yard all the time and have to compensate the drop at 2 inches at or around 30 yards. No sweat however, because the quietness of them allows for repeated shots at the same bird.

If I miss the first time (over the bird), I walk those subsequent shots down like artillery! :D

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    A CB cap is going to be quieter than the CCI quiet. Less powder. Less pop
    I have never found CB's to be very accurate in anything

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    The CB's shot great in my Marlin 60 rifle and were very accurate. I used them to hunt squirrels out to 25-30 yards and they would shoot completely through the squirrels. Regular 22 ammo would shoot 1" higher. The Quiet 22's have more power by virtue of more bullet weight. Either are more powerful a 22 pellet rifle since the bullet weight on either is greater than 22 pellets that usually weigh around 14.5gr.
    Both the CB and Quiet in a rifle are more quiet than a 22 pellet rifle

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I looked at the Remington CB long vs the CCI quiet. The Remington is marked 740 fps vs CCI is 710 fps. I would have to say the CCI takes the cake when shot from my Savage FVSR through my Warlock ii.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    CCI Quiet is my fav .22 to shoot suppressed. It's ridiculously quiet, never had any problems shooting it through a Ruger American Rimfire, 10/22, or Ruger Lite 22/45 all with AAC Element 2 can. It's quieter than most pellet rifles. Obviously it doesn't cycle the semi-autos, but functions fine and is actually very accurate out to ~40yds. Coming out of the pistol it's so slow you can watch the bullet. I'd be a little concerned about the effectiveness on varmints, but I guess there's only one way to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FISHSTICKER

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    French Settlement
    We did a lot of armadillo eratacation this summer at night with suppressed 22LR and thermal. I will start by saying the CCI SEGMENTING SUBSONIC is the most effective sub sonic I have ever used. Very accurate and drops dillos like a CCI STINGER....well not quite but significantly better than any other sub sonic 22LR.....

Prior to switching to the SEGMENTED 50% of the dillos would run after being hit with a body shot even thru the lungs.....post SEGMENTED less than 10% make it 10' from where they are shot.

Late summer I found a few boxes of CCI QUIET SEGMENTING SUBSONIC. They are reasonably accurate at short range but as others have said drop like a rock past 25yds. In my bolt action Ruger 77/22 they sound like a misfire. Only way to tell they exited the barrel is if you hear them impact down range.

For terminal performance from a small slow moving projectile give the CCI SEGMENTING bullets a try. QUIET for close range regular SUB for longer ranges.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    We did a lot of armadillo eratacation this summer at night with suppressed 22LR and thermal. I will start by saying the CCI SEGMENTING SUBSONIC is the most effective sub sonic I have ever used. Very accurate and drops dillos like a CCI STINGER....well not quite but significantly better than any other sub sonic 22LR.....

Prior to switching to the SEGMENTED 50% of the dillos would run after being hit with a body shot even thru the lungs.....post SEGMENTED less than 10% make it 10' from where they are shot.

Late summer I found a few boxes of CCI QUIET SEGMENTING SUBSONIC. They are reasonably accurate at short range but as others have said drop like a rock past 25yds. In my bolt action Ruger 77/22 they sound like a misfire. Only way to tell they exited the barrel is if you hear them impact down range.

For terminal performance from a small slow moving projectile give the CCI SEGMENTING bullets a try. QUIET for close range regular SUB for longer ranges.

c03fb8dc5ad8c1832e42950cfffeac74.jpg

06218e426581e36a6e83bd0becb7c1bf.jpg

I have to agree on the segmented HP's for my 10/22. They are just as accurate in that rifle as any other ammo and I've tried just about every subsonic on the market narrowing down my favorites for each rifle. But my bolt guns really like the Aguila 60gr bullets. I bought a dozen bricks of those when they were in the mid $20 range...quite a while back, and the last time I bought a few bricks the box had changed and the price had doubled, but the round was still the same. Only problem for me was wishing they were HP's. So, prior to this season I made a jig and have been turning them into hollow point rounds on the press with a 1/16" bit and a stop. My old CZ copy sports a shorter threaded barrel now and this is the best I've ever done with any of my .22's for squirrel. With the 3-9x40 scope I have on it, after about 50 rounds at range and marking the blank ring I had for the BDC dial, I can put that 60 grain bullet bullet where I want it at some impressive distances.
    And it has plenty of kill power when it gets there. Perfect for peeling those big old fox squirrels out the tree tops

3b3f6afafa82268f15c2153c00279f2b.jpg

stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Cci suppressor 22

I have been shooting the CCI 22 Suppressor rounds, 970 fps, 45 gr hollowpoint, drops them clean. And just as accurate as Wolf match

I have been dropping squirrels past 100 yards with front shoulder and head shots

Attachments

• 20161015_095948_resized_5.jpg
      20161015_095948_resized_5.jpg
      279.5 KB · Views: 120
    • 20161123_124350_resized.jpg
      20161123_124350_resized.jpg
      223.6 KB · Views: 134

BlackBalled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2014
    Ethel, LA
    I have used both the Eley 40gr subsonic and the CCI standard velocity. I cannot audibly tell the difference between the two. The CCI's are cheaper and more accurate IMHO. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom