why are gun parts/accessories shops so un-modern?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Thank you with my limited IT training (mainly database management and some MIS courses) I know there are soooo many variables in implementing new hardware or software solutions that nothing is simple anymore... I just didn't want to sit down and explain how the whole process works... Hardware is cheap now... software is not...

eh. my girl sells stuff on facebook, etsy and ebay. she uses freeware that uses ups, usps, fedex, dhl,. ships all over the world, she can make 5 tshirts, and get them to germany before my sear spring has left midway facility. and for close to the same price to ship.

- - - Updated - - -

i

Last edited:

Propagandalf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    eh. my girl sells stuff on facebook, etsy and ebay. she uses freeware that uses ups, usps, fedex, dhl,. ships all over the world, she can make 5 tshirts, and get them to germany before my sear spring has left midway facility. and for close to the same price to ship.

- - - Updated - - -

i

Yeah, If Midway only had to worry 5 orders per week, like "your girl", they could probably get it done faster as well. That shipping freeware "your girl" uses and etsy doesn't scale very well.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Yup, I use eBay the same way. And it's fantastic for the low volume that I do.

Scale that up to thousands of transactions per day (or in Amazon's case, thousands of transactions per minute), and it's a whole different ballgame.

Mike

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I've never had any problems with returns at Midway, Brownells, or Optics Planet. I fill out the form and print out a label.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I know most large places are able to keep cost down and speed up. They do so since they presort it. I assume Midway works same way Summit Racing does. They not only package, Label, but place it in trucks. They do that and when a truck is full the shipper picks a whole load up.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I know most large places are able to keep cost down and speed up. They do so since they presort it. I assume Midway works same way Summit Racing does. They not only package, Label, but place it in trucks. They do that and when a truck is full the shipper picks a whole load up.

If Midway is anything like Brownell's, then there isn't a single human that touches anything you order.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    One interesting point to add to this thread is an emerging business model: that of product fulfillment. It's becoming one of the most popular thing for businesses to outsource.

Not a lot of people know that companies like Amazon will now do all of your order fulfillment for you. Case-in-point: let's say you're a carpenter that likes to make kid's toys. And let's say that you want to sell them online, but after trying to run your own online store you realize that it's a lot more work than you thought (and the local neighborhood kids/millennials weren't quite as reliable as you thought they'd be). One option is to let Amazon do all of the work for you.

You send Amazon a big batch of toys that you'd like to sell. They list your products for sale on their website, handle all of the payments, all of the product picking, boxing, packaging and shipping, all of the returns, etc., etc. Yes, it'll cost you a few dollars per product, but you know that your products will get shipped quickly and efficiently, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Compare that to the cost of staffing up or any sort of robotic automation, and you'll realize pretty quickly that you'll never do it cheaper than Amazon can.

Amazon isn't the only company in this business. When you order from a lot of large name-brand companies, you'll probably get your product from one of the many product fulfillment companies out there that provide exactly the same services. Many of them specialize in a certain type of product (clothing, for instance), and they're remarkably efficient at what they do.

Mike

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    One interesting point to add to this thread is an emerging business model: that of product fulfillment. It's becoming one of the most popular thing for businesses to outsource.

Not a lot of people know that companies like Amazon will now do all of your order fulfillment for you. Case-in-point: let's say you're a carpenter that likes to make kid's toys. And let's say that you want to sell them online, but after trying to run your own online store you realize that it's a lot more work than you thought (and the local neighborhood kids/millennials weren't quite as reliable as you thought they'd be). One option is to let Amazon do all of the work for you.

You send Amazon a big batch of toys that you'd like to sell. They list your products for sale on their website, handle all of the payments, all of the product picking, boxing, packaging and shipping, all of the returns, etc., etc. Yes, it'll cost you a few dollars per product, but you know that your products will get shipped quickly and efficiently, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Compare that to the cost of staffing up or any sort of robotic automation, and you'll realize pretty quickly that you'll never do it cheaper than Amazon can.

Amazon isn't the only company in this business. When you order from a lot of large name-brand companies, you'll probably get your product from one of the many product fulfillment companies out there that provide exactly the same services. Many of them specialize in a certain type of product (clothing, for instance), and they're remarkably efficient at what they do.

Mike

It says right there who the company's are and fulfilled by Amazon

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    .Nothing wrong with
    ordering from amazon or ebay.If they have it and its fair price and fast ship,
    there is no reason not too.These nay sayers of amazon,eflay and others are just
    FOS. Most are fat tubs with a crossfit holster LoL

Laughed so hard i cried!!!!!

Fat tubs, awesome!!!!!!

Top Bottom