Louisiana Senate approves bulletproof backpacks in schools

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    From nola.com: http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/04/louisiana_senate_bulletproof_b.html

I was looking through some statutes yesterday and came across this: RS 14:95.9

§95.9. Wearing or possessing body armor, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at school-sponsored functions, or in firearm-free zones

A. Wearing or possessing body armor, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at a school-sponsored function, or in a firearm-free zone is unlawful and shall be defined as wearing or possessing of body armor, on one's person, at any time while on a school campus, on school transportation, or at any school-sponsored function in a specific designated area including but not limited to athletic competitions, dances, parties, or any extracurricular activities, or within one thousand feet of any school campus.

B. For purposes of this Section, the following words have the following meanings:

(1) "Body armor" shall mean bullet-resistant metal or other material intended to provide protection from weapons or bodily injury.

(2) "Campus" means all facilities and property within the boundary of the school property.

(3) "Nonstudent" means any person not registered and enrolled in that school or a suspended student who does not have permission to be on the school campus.

(4) "School" means any elementary, secondary, high school, vocational-technical school, college, or university in this state.

(5) "School bus" means any motor bus being used to transport children to and from school or in connection with school activities.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

(1) A federal, state, or local law enforcement officer in the performance of his official duties.

(2) A school official or employee acting during the normal course of his employment or a student acting under the direction of such school official or employee.

(3) A person who has notified the school principal or chancellor in writing at least twenty-four hours prior to wearing body armor.

(4) The wearing or possessing of body armor occurring within one thousand feet of school property and entirely on private property, or entirely within a private residence, or in accordance with a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1.

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as body armor contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

(6) Any student wearing or possessing body armor to or from a class, in which he is duly enrolled, that requires the use of the body armor in the class.

(7) A student enrolled or participating in an activity requiring the use of body armor.

D. Whoever commits the crime of wearing or possessing body armor by a student or nonstudent on school property, at a school-sponsored function, or in a firearm-free zone shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars, or imprisoned, without hard labor, for not less than six months nor more than one year, or both.

E. Lack of knowledge that the prohibited act occurred on or within one thousand feet of school property shall not be a defense.

F.(1) School officials shall notify all students and parents of the impact of this legislation and shall post notices of the impact of this Section at each major point of entry to the school. These notices shall be maintained as permanent notices.

(2) If a student is detained by the principal or other school official for violation of this Section or the school principal or other school official confiscates or seizes body armor from a student while upon school property, at a school function, or on a school bus, the principal or other school official in charge at the time of the detention or seizure shall immediately report the detention or seizure to the police department or sheriff's department where the school is located and shall deliver any body armor seized to that agency.

(3) If a student is detained pursuant to Paragraph (2) of this Subsection for wearing or possessing body armor on campus, the principal shall immediately notify the student's parents.

G. Any principal or school official in charge who fails to report the detention of a student or the seizure of body armor to a law enforcement agency as required by Paragraph (F)(2) of this Section within seventy-two hours of notice of the detention or seizure may be issued a misdemeanor summons for a violation of this Section and may be fined not more than five hundred dollars or sentenced to not more than forty hours of community service, or both. Upon successful completion of the community service or payment of the fine, or both, the arrest and conviction shall be set aside as provided for in Code of Criminal Procedure Article 894(B).

Acts 2008, No. 747, §1.

Seems to me that as long as I provided written notice to the principal, at least 24 hours in advance, I can send my son to school with body armor. Notice that the law doesn't say I need to have permission, just that I have to give 24 hours notice.

Now, will my son be breaking a law? Not according to this statute. Will he be violating school policy? Yes, according to the St. Tammany Parish School handbook (see pages 20-21 here).

If I were to give 24 hours notice to the principal that I was going to be at the school wearing body armor, I would expect that I would not be arrested if the police were called on me.

Do I want to be the test subject for this? Nope. I have better things to do with my time and money. I just thought this was interesting.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Louisiana is such a stupid state when it comes to politics and legislation.

Everything is banned, but here are some exemptions.

Even if the state law changes, you have to fight school policy.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    "If it saves one child, that's all I would care about," said Sen. Mike Walsworth, R-West Monroe, the sponsor of the legislation

Interesting! This is the same line the anti-freedom democrats use to push their anti-firearms crap!

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    As if kids don't complain about back issues from lugging around textbooks enough, lets add body armor to the mix.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    As if kids don't complain about back issues from lugging around textbooks enough, lets add body armor to the mix.

Yes, let's not teach our children that wearing their backpack improperly is the cause of their back pain.

Even in high school, I carried my books everywhere. I never used a locker. My pack weighed 20 lbs max. That's nothing compared to what the bags are designed for.

Adding 5 more pounds isn't going to kill them.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Yes, let's not teach our children that wearing their backpack improperly is the cause of their back pain.

Even in high school, I carried my books everywhere. I never used a locker. My pack weighed 20 lbs max. That's nothing compared to what the bags are designed for.

Adding 5 more pounds isn't going to kill them.

my 4'9" 85lb 8th grade daughters back pack weighs in at 35ish lbs. nearly half her weight. it doesnt matter if its "improperly worn" its a non framed sack on straps. its going to cause back issues.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    Great news! level 3a bag inserts only weigh about 1 pound. I'm getting my kids a tablet and downloading all of their textbooks onto that. They should be using that stuff anyway to be prepared for college and the real work world.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    my 4'9" 85lb 8th grade daughters back pack weighs in at 35ish lbs. nearly half her weight. it doesnt matter if its "improperly worn" its a non framed sack on straps. its going to cause back issues.

Then buy a damn backpack capable of carrying 35 lbs.

I have owned many backpacks with internal frame sheets designed to handle over 40 lbs without a hip belt.

Walk around campus and you will see many kids wearing their backpacks improperly like this:

backpack-fit.jpg

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Great news! level 3a bag inserts only weigh about 1 pound. I'm getting my kids a tablet and downloading all of their textbooks onto that. They should be using that stuff anyway to be prepared for college and the real work world.

I worked on a few New Orleans elementary schools post-Katrina. We were told all of the schools had wi-fi for the kids to use their tablets on. There is almost zero reason to carry around the massive books we had as children.

Hell, by the time I reached my first semester of college, we were carrying ThinkPads around.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I used a NorthFace backpack in highschool and sometimes added weight to it to keep it around 40 lbs. I was constantly training for adventure races and things where I'd be lugging water and miscellaneous items around for miles.

A good backpack makes it easy. A shitty backpack makes it hard.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    the problem I see with carrying around a Ipad, Thinkpad, Laptop, etc... is the probably of another kid, starting trouble just to steal it so they can go sell it on ebay, craigslist, etc... to buy weed, or whatever else they want to waste money on.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Then buy a damn backpack capable of carrying 35 lbs.

I have owned many backpacks with internal frame sheets designed to handle over 40 lbs without a hip belt.

Walk around campus and you will see many kids wearing their backpacks improperly like this:

backpack-fit.jpg

her pack has a light "frame", but framed or not, carrying nearly half of your body weight day after day will be bad on your back.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central

unfortunately its automatic detention/suspension for her to take a tablet or phone to school.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    her pack has a light "frame", but framed or not, carrying nearly half of your body weight day after day will be bad on your back.

Unless she's rucking 12 miles a day, I don't see how it's that big of a deal.

Cut weight in the pack by forcing her to use a locker. That was the point of having a locker.

stoic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2008
    Just stick a Lodge cast iron frying pan in the back pack. It will be cheaper than Kevlar. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom