Switchblade Ban Repeal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I didn’t want to hijack this thread with it but I was thinking the same thing. If the clip and top edge of the knife are showing, is it being concealed?
    If it can be seen surely that shouldn't be considered concealed, even just part of it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If it can be seen surely that shouldn't be considered concealed, even just part of it.

The clip may not be concealed, but the knife is.

But back to the point about switchblades....I still haven't seen a good argument on a practical reason to actually have one.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    The clip may not be concealed, but the knife is.

But back to the point about switchblades....I still haven't seen a good argument on a practical reason to actually have one.

The clip is part of the knife, and unless you have a deep carry clip, you can still see the knife.

Automatics are not good all purpose knives anyway, but I'm glad the law is changing, because it's poorly written and has no purpose.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Automatics are not good all purpose knives anyway, but I'm glad the law is changing, because it's poorly written and has no purpose.

I used to say that, too, until I saw the higher end beefy Microtechs and Benchmades. The Benchmade Presidio Axis lock auto is a sweet knife with just enough heft to feel perfect in your hand and a strong blade that takes a beating. You're right though, most autos are just cute little toys that get style points, not real-life points. And now, most of the spring assist finger flickers are faster than actual autos!

GearFondler

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    Pearl River, LA

I come from a Knife Collector background so I can tell you that the good argument for them is "Why can't I have one?" It's just like "stupid" gun laws that we all get bent out of shape over... "This gun, attachment, modification, etc, is okay, BUT THESE guns, attachments, modifications, etc are EVIL and against the law!"
    Where do you draw the line?
    A quality modern tactical folder in a trained hand is as fast or faster than an auto and usually has a stronger locking mechanism... It's the more deadly weapon if you want to look at from a threat standpoint. Any folder featuring the Emerson Wave is opened as it leaves the pocket... it smokes any auto in terms of speed of deployment. So what is now the logical argument for outlawing automatics? And sound argument against automatics based on their perceived threat should also argue against all the one-hand opening tactical knives on the market today.
    Personally I do not understand the need or desire for binary triggers but I'll sure not try to convince another shooter that he doesn't need one or that they should be illegal.

And now I notice your quote actually reads "a good argument on a practical reason" . D'oh! I initially read it as "or", so I just argued a point your weren't making. Reading comprehension is tough sometimes, lol.

In that case the good argument is that if you are into knives then high-end automatics are a thing of beauty... the intricacies of a good out-the-front auto mechanism are a joy to behold. As a collector I find it ridiculous that I am not allowed to own a certain kind of knife because it was used in movies to scare uneducated viewers.
    If you Insist on a Purely practical reason, well crap, I'm sure there's one somewhere... there's bound to be, right? :D

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I come from a Knife Collector background so I can tell you that the good argument for them is "Why can't I have one?" It's just like "stupid" gun laws that we all get bent out of shape over... "This gun, attachment, modification, etc, is okay, BUT THESE guns, attachments, modifications, etc are EVIL and against the law!"
    Where do you draw the line?
    A quality modern tactical folder in a trained hand is as fast or faster than an auto and usually has a stronger locking mechanism... It's the more deadly weapon if you want to look at from a threat standpoint. Any folder featuring the Emerson Wave is opened as it leaves the pocket... it smokes any auto in terms of speed of deployment. So what is now the logical argument for outlawing automatics? And sound argument against automatics based on their perceived threat should also argue against all the one-hand opening tactical knives on the market today.
    Personally I do not understand the need or desire for binary triggers but I'll sure not try to convince another shooter that he doesn't need one or that they should be illegal.

And now I notice your quote actually reads "a good argument on a practical reason" . D'oh! I initially read it as "or", so I just argued a point your weren't making. Reading comprehension is tough sometimes, lol.

In that case the good argument is that if you are into knives then high-end automatics are a thing of beauty... the intricacies of a good out-the-front auto mechanism are a joy to behold. As a collector I find it ridiculous that I am not allowed to own a certain kind of knife because it was used in movies to scare uneducated viewers.
    If you Insist on a Purely practical reason, well crap, I'm sure there's one somewhere... there's bound to be, right? :D

Absolutely agree. They are neat toys and fun. And if I can own a gun, why can’t i own a toy.

A good fixed blade is faster opening, easier to get blade out under duress, and much stronger than any auto, if that’s your best option for self defense, for whatever reason.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I would much rather carry a one hand opening knife than one requiring two hands to open. IMHO gravity opening, thumb stud, flipper opening, flipper tab opening, and spring assisted opening were all developed to mimic the ease of one hand opening of switchblades that had been prohibited. Now that switchblades are becoming legal again in many states a lot of people prefer them over other types of knives. Knife Rights are being reinstated and it just boils down to personal preference of what one chooses to carry. No reason needed, just personal choice.

Last edited:

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I guess there's no age limit for carrying an automatic knife once the law goes into effect. My 18 year old grandson is thinking that he might want one.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Better put on my suspenders, to old to be looking all "Gangsta"

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Yall's pants are going to fall down caring all that iron!:rofl:

Better put on my suspenders, to old to be looking all "Gangsta"

Lol! Gotta getta good belt!

I'm glad this antiquated law is finally being looked at and these types of knives will become available to folks again, hopefully.

Myself. Amazing that autos with their finicky mechanism could get outlawed but could still carry fixed blades. A perfect example of how Hollywood was able to get something legalized (or in this case, illegalized) by propping up fear in the voting public. Sound familiar? Same way they are trying to get firearm legislation passed and drug legislation repealed. Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Top Bottom