What's this thing in my attic?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    I've seen this thing in my attic for many years, and always wondered what it is. It's mounted to a support brace, and close to the light switch, but not connected to the switch at all. It's got one brown wire going to it, which contains a white wire, and a red wire that connects to a couple of screw terminals. Anyone know?

Attachments

• attic thing.jpg
      attic thing.jpg
      38.1 KB · Views: 235
    Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Is probably a 15 amp 110. so if not being used for the been any more you can toss it and put a 110 receptacle in place and have power up there. Get a metal box and cover and a receptacle {outlet} that way you can plug in a light, drill etc. Or put that end in the mmetal box. Then attach wire to where you want a light up there with a pull chain. Do not let that wire go unused

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Is probably a 15 amp 110. so if not being used for the been any more you can toss it and put a 110 receptacle in place and have power up there. Get a metal box and cover and a receptacle {outlet} that way you can plug in a light, drill etc. Or put that end in the mmetal box. Then attach wire to where you want a light up there with a pull chain. Do not let that wire go unused
    Uh, hello... better trace those smal low voltage wires and see if they are not indeed feeding the doorbell that you know you have before you go repurposing that feed. The doorbell the OP says they have is more than likely connected to that power supply in the pic... jeezers...

OP, I can’t really tell from the pic, but it looks like the bell wire does indeed go somewhere.
    Before you follow somebody’s advice to remove anything, try loosening one of those screw terminals and pull off one of the wires, like that red one on the right. My bet is that your doorbell won’t work until you reconnect.

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    It's a transformer connected to a switch for a powered vent fan on your roof. That brown wire should run up the beam and you should have an area in your ceiling where the fan would be which was probably removed and a whirly bird was installed since this isn't hooked up anymore.

Or I could be wrong and someone hooked a doorbell transformer to a switch... not sure why.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom