"Ghost Guns"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Related to the Saugus HS shooting the other day, in CA. Quote from the article below. I thought the only way to not have to send a lower thru an FFL was to have an 80%, which from what I've read, takes a bit of skill to complete, since you have to drill. Am I wrong? You can't get a serialized lower sent directly to your house, can you?

Under current law, anyone can purchase gun kits and assemble them. Without the background checks needed to purchase a fully assembled weapon from a licensed dealer, minors or those otherwise prohibited from carrying a weapon see it as a convenient alternative.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-high-school-shooter-used-untraceable-ghost-gun-sheriff-says

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    One third of all guns seized in CA are "ghost guns"? I think there is some confusion in the definition of ghost guns. Of course, a good machinist can make a gun from scratch, but I think it's beyond the skills of most criminals.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Best I understand it, regardless the type of gun the part that is the ‘firearm’ houses or connects the fire group to the rest of the gun. If it can accept a trigger it’s a ‘firearm’ and should be serialized. Any non-private purchase requires an FFL. I would not under any circumstances attempt to sell or buy a previously completed 80% that doesn’t have a serial number.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    One third of all guns seized in CA are "ghost guns"? I think there is some confusion in the definition of ghost guns. Of course, a good machinist can make a gun from scratch, but I think it's beyond the skills of most criminals.

I agree, I think they are playing fast and loose with the definition of the term "ghost gun." It list the Associated Press as contributing to the article, I'm thinking Fox just lazily repeated a lot of what was already there from the AP.

Allowing "the other side" to control the language of the debate is bad ju-ju.

I did recently read an article"Send in the Clones" in the March/April issue of American Handgunner about 80% pistol lowers, and it names two companies Stealth Arms and Polymer80, the first focusing on the 1911 platform and the latter concentrating on frames to accept Glock hardware. The article summarizes an apparently easy process to prepare the lower kit, and then basic Glock armorer tasks to assemble a satisfactorily functional pistol.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The article summarizes an apparently easy process to prepare the lower kit, and then basic Glock armorer tasks to assemble a satisfactorily functional pistol.

No drilling or other skills needed? I guess I was thinking of AR 80%s

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    So did a Google search and it looks like they sell frames for Glocks but it seems like these frames that are complete have a serial number on them so it would need an FFL to buy.

Maybe they are talking about 80% builds which do not require a serial from the factory or an FFL but they do require some fit or finish to make a complete gun. I don't know how much skill it takes to make a Glock 80% but from what I have seen of 1911 it takes some serious attention to detail and skill to build one so don't think any joe blow is going to do it.

The problem with these articles is that they are written by people with no understanding of gun laws, gun functionality or gun buying. They are idiots that spout off non-sense and they are never questioned an people take their writing as fact. I think key buzzwords are being thrown around to incite fear and get more laws passed.

- - - Updated - - -

So did a Google search and it looks like they sell frames for Glocks but it seems like these frames that are complete have a serial number on them so it would need an FFL to buy.

Maybe they are talking about 80% builds which do not require a serial from the factory or an FFL but they do require some fit or finish to make a complete gun. I don't know how much skill it takes to make a Glock 80% but from what I have seen of 1911 it takes some serious attention to detail and skill to build one so don't think any joe blow is going to do it.

The problem with these articles is that they are written by people with no understanding of gun laws, gun functionality or gun buying. They are idiots that spout off non-sense and they are never questioned an people take their writing as fact. I think key buzzwords are being thrown around to incite fear and get more laws passed.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Anyone with a hand file, sandpaper, or a drill press can complete a Polymer 80 Glock frame.

AR 80% lowers require milling.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Related to the Saugus HS shooting the other day, in CA. Quote from the article below. I thought the only way to not have to send a lower thru an FFL was to have an 80%, which from what I've read, takes a bit of skill to complete, since you have to drill. Am I wrong? You can't get a serialized lower sent directly to your house, can you?

Under current law, anyone can purchase gun kits and assemble them. Without the background checks needed to purchase a fully assembled weapon from a licensed dealer, minors or those otherwise prohibited from carrying a weapon see it as a convenient alternative.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-high-school-shooter-used-untraceable-ghost-gun-sheriff-says

Pretty sure its Fully Semi-automatic too.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I herd Ghost Gun & thought this kid built a pistol! On his own? The BS Flag came out. He took/stole the gun from a friend/family member. The Ghost Gun term had to come from Police PR dept. The police have gun registration records & the pistol, not the reporters( not yet). I bet someone in front of a press conference said Ghost Gun & press ran with it without asking what they meant. Unregistered, stolen, filed down S/S or 80% lower. In Cali it's all the same.

lottem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012

I find this hard to believe. They may mean that these guns have the serial numbers removed. It is my understanding that individuals can legally (in most states) build their own firearm as long as it is not sold or transferred to anyone else. I understand that it is not difficult to build a "ghost gun" from an 80 percent lower using a jig and a drill press or a router; however California (and possibly other states) requires that the builder obtain a serial number and have it engraved on the lower. The process appears to require some skill and a significant amount of work. I seriously doubt that criminals would be willing to go to the amount of effort required when they can simply steal a gun from someone else. You might take a look at https://www.80percentarms.com/

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I agree, I think they are playing fast and loose with the definition of the term "ghost gun." It list the Associated Press as contributing to the article, I'm thinking Fox just lazily repeated a lot of what was already there from the AP.

Allowing "the other side" to control the language of the debate is bad ju-ju.

^^^^ this^^^^
    I also heard that type of language on one of the lefty news reports where they discussed ‘ghost gun’ being synonymous with any privately sold firearm (not recorded by a FFL). Maybe a ghost buyer? But the gun still has a serial number, so not a ghost gun. They know the word ghost still scares some people. We all know they use whatever language they want to fit their narrative. I’ve actually heard this more than once, although spread out over the years. It fits their agenda for requiring FFL and background checks for all private sales, which I think we will eventually start seeing on a state to state basis, just like the bans that are happening in certain states.

Any of you remember that their ‘Gunshow Loophole’ supposedly meant that anyone could go buy a gun at a show with no background check or FFL? Yeah, private sale between 2 consenting adults that are attending, but they played it like everything on the tables was for sale without any record.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom