Best pistol for self defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    May have been mentioned above. *Best* is subjective. *Sufficient* is one you’re comfortable and proficient with, have confidence in, and frequently practice not only in static range time but also under duress / stress. This can be simulated (on a permissible range) by doing some pushups or jumping jacks, then (carefully) drawing while out of breath and trying to put rounds on target. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is interesting to see how everyone shoots immediately after running, doing sit ups, and push ups which as you stated creates some stress.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    After reading this thread, I realize a lot of you either need training or shouldn't own a gun at all.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Hey guys what is the best gun for self defense? Like quick draw and reliability?

- $500-600 range

I'll be at Nick's in Garyville tomorrow morning practicing. If you want to try a few different guns I can bring some to test out. Just shoot me a PM. I'll bring G19, M&P's, Sig's, CZ's and others.

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The question you raised has been a favorite topic of gun writers and gun lovers over all the 50+ years since I fell in love with firearms. Don't buy anything until you try multiple platforms. And if a great fellow member like Vigilante Sniper offers to let you sample his awesome pistols, just do it!

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    That question is like asking "how long is a piece of string?". You need to consider conditions, are you going to concealed carry, car carry, bedside, time of year and dress, what can you handle in terms of recoil, ect, ect,. What's best for one person might not be so good for another!

I keep a 45acp on my bedside, my wife has a j frame S&W with larger grips for her arthritis on her side. Concealed I prefer pocket carry, the only way I can truly conceal as being old school, & ex military officer I always have a shirt tucked in. I have been carrying a Sig P938, a micro 1911, condition one, round in chamber cocked and safety on, been doing that several years. I had been reading about how nice the newer P365 was, so went and looked at one earlier this week and was impressed with the trigger, past experience with striker fired guns not so good, Dealer here in town had one at on sale price so I brought it home. Marginally larger than my P938, but just a small fraction of an inch overall, so still easily concealable. I did try the larger XL model that comes with a straight trigger, and although it looks strange to me, trigger feels good, so ordered a straight trigger for mine, I did not notice until sale was almost complete that it was a manual safety model which was a plus also.

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    If you have not made a selection.

May I suggest considering the Glock G30SF carried in a Safariland 6379 ALS.

Should very well meet your spending target. (no pun intended)

Comfortable, Thumb Release Fast Natural Draw...works for me.

Last edited:

MotorBoy

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Youngsville
    Old question gets old answer gun you can hit your make with-a 45 or any caliber does no good if you miss-I carry 380 Ruger with FMJ and feel well armed-one or two in the breast plate will do

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Holy Hell!!

There are currently 66 Non-Members looking at this; "What kind of gun should I get for the apocalypse?" thread. :eek3:

Guests. If you are truly interested in this discussion, get a "Free" membership, and ask your questions!

There is nothing shameful in admitting you are a novice to gun ownership. In fact, this is exactly the place you should be to see many different perspectives to this and other important questions.

Come on in!

PS: If someone on here gives you a BS answer, believe me; they won't get away with it! :mamoru:

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    There is no best at anything. Everything that is designed are a series of compromises.

An example in the gun world would be machine guns. Would you like a machine gun that’ll run almost nonstop for an hour? That is a design choice. That means you’ll compromise portability for weight. You’ll have a water cooled barrel with over built heavy parts that are not easily moved forward for advancing unit. Do you want an easily carried machine gun? Then it’ll be lighter, not as capable of prolonged periods of fire without barrel changes and will have more frequent parts breakage.

So there is no best handgun.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you have not made a selection.

May I suggest considering the Glock G30SF carried in a Safariland 6379 ALS.

Should very well meet your spending target. (no pun intended)

Comfortable, Thumb Release Fast Natural Draw...works for me.

Don't forget to add an ALS Nub Mod.

https://store.otdefense.com/collections/nub-mods/products/als-nub-mod-black

xALS_1024x1024.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There is no best at anything. Everything that is designed are a series of compromises.

An example in the gun world would be machine guns. Would you like a machine gun that’ll run almost nonstop for an hour? That is a design choice. That means you’ll compromise portability for weight. You’ll have a water cooled barrel with over built heavy parts that are not easily moved forward for advancing unit. Do you want an easily carried machine gun? Then it’ll be lighter, not as capable of prolonged periods of fire without barrel changes and will have more frequent parts breakage.

So there is no best handgun.

Dave

I usually don't throw out my opinion on subjective threads like these but since I see so many potential first timers lurking in this particular thread, I will only offer this;

If you intend on staking your life on a pistol, make sure it is a solid brand, by a reputable gun manufacturer. Or, what many refer to as a "Tier 1" level, name brand gun!

The bells and whistles won't matter if the brand you choose is unreliable.

Last edited:

hunt4570

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    So I want to throw a little wrench in the works, while I like my Glock, and my Springfield XDS I'm going to offer up a Kel Tec PMR30! Very reliable, only 19 oz with a full magazine, and that magazine holds 30 rounds in the magazine,.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    So I want to throw a little wrench in the works, while I like my Glock, and my Springfield XDS I'm going to offer up a Kel Tec PMR30! Very reliable, only 19 oz with a full magazine, and that magazine holds 30 rounds in the magazine,.

Are you aware Glock makes 33 round magazines for many 9mm Glocks?

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I will offer up the S&W M&P 2.0 9mm to the argument. I tried multiple pistols when I was looking and it fit my hand better than anything else. I really wanted to like Glcok but a 2x4 was more comfortable. I haven't had a chance to try the Gen 5 Glocks but that will come later.

I love those 33 rounds mags for my AR9 not a pistol but it makes it nice.

Top Bottom