Best pistol for self defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IJS

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'll be at Nick's in Garyville tomorrow morning practicing. If you want to try a few different guns I can bring some to test out. Just shoot me a PM. I'll bring G19, M&P's, Sig's, CZ's and others.

What a tremendously kind offer. I hope the guy took you up on it. Hell, I'd love that; I haven't shot a lot of those and would love to get some knowledge from an experience shooter who could even maybe help me with my Smith and Wesson SDVE.

As far as OP goes, I personally would recommend the Glock 19 or 17. Both 9mm. I just prefer the 17 because it fit my hand better. Like many people have mentioned, it is definitely something you want to be hands on about and find what works and is comfortable for you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    New Orleans, LA
    There are many good reasons why everyone on here will say get a GLOCK but I don't like being like everyone else and I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm (VTAC). I like that it's in FDE and the Viking Tactical sights that come with it can be used during the day and at night.
    69314.jpg

wm_8835274.jpg

I do agree with the critics about the trigger being "squishy" and will be upgrading to an Apex Tactical trigger-kit.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There are many good reasons why everyone on here will say get a GLOCK but I don't like being like everyone else and I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm (VTAC). I like that it's in FDE and the Viking Tactical sights that come with it can be used during the day and at night.

I do agree with the critics about the trigger being "squishy" and will be upgrading to an Apex Tactical trigger-kit.

Not being like everyone else is probably one of the worst reasons for going with non-glock. The only other reasons mentioned, fde and night sights, are available with glocks. If you don't like glocks or the M&P feels better, I get it. But one should never pick a self defense weapon because it is different than the majority.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Not being like everyone else is probably one of the worst reasons for going with non-glock. The only other reasons mentioned, fde and night sights, are available with glocks. If you don't like glocks or the M&P feels better, I get it. But one should never pick a self defense weapon because it is different than the majority.

This is so true but he still got a hell of a good pistol out of it.

Someone mentioned S&W reliability earlier and I just wanted to say that the only issues I have had with either of my M&Ps was of my own making. I forgot basic mag maintenance and it caused me to have malfunctions during a competition. The only good thing about that was I became a malfunction clearing pro. Once I got the magazine maintenance done I have had zero issues with it. I have both the M&P and M&P 2.0.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell

So you pay the same as you would for a glock, and then have spend more to mod the trigger to get it closer to a glock... Never did understand the M&P, tried a few and the triggers were so bad I just did not bother anymore. Plus the grip differences were minor, and mags for glock were cheaper. Not sure I like the 6 dot sights either, too busy.

I get not being one of the "sheeple" but at the same time, glocks are not great just because alot of people buy them... I don't agree with the "perfection" but they certainly are "much better" when it comes to design and materials, consider the specific roles they are designed to fulfill.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Agreed!

As for the M&P that came out in 2005, long after Glock's polymer frame pistol success had taken the world by storm. The entire design of the M&P is essentially copied from the sleekness of the Glock. Why, you ask? Because it is acknowledged by many (laypeople & so called experts), that the less external gadgets that protrude from the frame & slide (such as thumb safety's, slide locks, etc), the better when it comes to a safe, snag-less, and relatively quick deployment from concealment / holsters, etc., in that moment of truth.

In other words, and this goes for anyone; if you holster your gun on your person for intended self defense, and like YOUR "chosen" gun because....blah, blah, blah; but you haven't considered what name brand "tier 1" pistol would be best for the practical application of self protection, then you may not be choosing YOUR brand for the right reason.

That said, if you like the "feel" of the M&P, that's your personal consideration, but for all intent and purposes, it's a Glock! :D

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    If you don’t have time to try out a few guns at a range for fit then you likely don’t have time to practice with the one you buy either.
    A good pistol for self defense requires that it fit you well as a shooter and that you consistently practice with what you do buy.
    Without these things may I suggest you just carry a brick?
    You’ll likely be more proficient with it than a pistol and you are less likely to hurt yourself or innocent bystanders with it.

https://brick.com/utility-size-brick

I find their utility brick in slate gray to be an excellent option with the bonus in that it looks soooo tacticool.

I LOVE MY BRICK!

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I am speechless.
    That is hilarious.
    Well played Sir!

Highly recommend the show! It's on Amazon Prime and is great fun if you grew up Catholic. Has a lot of Irish humor in it that is lost unless you are familiar with the country and it's culture but I still find it hilarious.

Anyway sorry to derail the thread :) Carry on all!

CAJUNLAWYER

crusty old bastard
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Iberia Parish
    The best pistol for self defense???? Why the one you happen to have in your hand of course!!
    In all seriousness though the best pistol would be one that you can shoot, goes bang every time you pull the trigger and sends the projectile where you want it sent. SInce you are shooting at bad breath distance caliber is not as important as bullet placement. If he/she still poses a danger after being shot, repeat as necessary

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I like to look at performance numbers when making important decisions like this. Hate to just pick what looks right. Or go with the prevailing popular choice, cause everyone else is statistically an idiot, look it up if you don't agree. Remember when everyone thought the earth was flat, not me, I did the research and it is round.

9mm is a popular option, the most popular, and for good reason. Looking at the std 115 ammo, you get about 350 ft lbs of energy per shot. Not too shabby, and quite a step up from 380, which does about 200 ft lbs. Which is basically nothing, that's why real instructors say that 380 is for children and people with recoil sensitivity (like children).

So I decided to have a look at some other options, and settled on a Desert Eagle in 50 ae. 300 grain bullet doing 1450 ft lbs. 8 rounds in the gun, which equate to 32rds of 9mm power-wise.

I don't know about you guys, but 32 rds of 9mm power in a much smaller package than a glock with an extended mag. Let that sink in for a minute, I'll wait

I could have gone with 460 Smith and Wesson in an X frame revolver, 2500 ft lbs (but only 5 shots, so the same total ft lbs of energy as the 8rds of 50ae) but I really did not need the increased reliability of a revolver over an auto, and they did not offer the tiger stripe gold finish like the DE has.

Plus the DE is an all steel gun, which is known by many (older, wiser shooters) to be superior to the more plastic intensive modern guns. A decent holster is a must, but that is true for any gun. It is only marginally heavier than a 1911 (a decent budget option to the DE, although std 45 ammo is not really any more powerful than 9mm), 65 oz on the DE, vs about 40 oz for a 1911 (less than 2 lb difference, if that bothers you, you may be a wimp). And people have carried 1911s for at least 250 yrs and 11 named wars, plus thousands of unnamed skirmishes. So steel guns are better, and since the DE is heavier it is way better.

Have a look at the DE and the 50ae cartridge. You will not be disappointed.

****Important Edit****

I know I mentioned above that 380 is a recommended round for children, but I just did some research and it appears that there are laws (who knew?) that prevent children from having guns, even guns in 380. I was shocked, and mildly appalled, but I did some thinking and decided that these laws are likely the result of the current trend away from vaccinations. So I get it, and I do know that I lack the breadth and depth of understanding that our lawmakers have. So I will choose to blindly agree with them on this. Please call your local representative, be heard!!!

Last edited:

NAHMINT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sarcasm/humor with an honest message, that’s all.
    got to agree with you !! ...if the o.p. is really serious, he would be ''safer'' with a revolver with a heavy trigger pull!!
    too much ''spray and pray'' on t.v. ....thats not how it usually goes down... but then,I'm old, what do I know....

Top Bottom