Ultrasonic Cleaning

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    What firearm pieces/parts do you guys ultrasonic clean? I bought one today and planning to clean the baffles of my Octane 45 HD can and the core of my Gemtech GM-22 can. Anyone ever put a barrel in the US cleaner?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    We have a large ultrasonic tank at work, from Brownells. It really speeds the cleaning of firearms.

I have the smaller, Harbor Freight version at home. I bought it specifically for cleaning suppressor parts.

I like to use a bit of Dawn Dish Detergent in it. Let it get good and hot.

I've heard of people using mineral spirits in theirs, but I'm wary of putting a flammable solvent in an electronic device marketed by Harbor Freight.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    We have a large ultrasonic tank at work, from Brownells. It really speeds the cleaning of firearms.

I have the smaller, Harbor Freight version at home. I bought it specifically for cleaning suppressor parts.

I like to use a bit of Dawn Dish Detergent in it. Let it get good and hot.

I've heard of people using mineral spirits in theirs, but I'm wary of putting a flammable solvent in an electronic device marketed by Harbor Freight.

The one I bought is from Harbor Freight also!

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    So what chemicals are you using to clean the gun parts? Also what about coated parts like my DLC coated barrels etc? Can they be cleaned in an ultrasonic? This topic kinda makes me want one. I have been lazy about cleaning my guns, but I don't mind dropping some parts in there and lubing it the next day whey they dry out.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    I’ve used purple power at the recommended dilution to clean at the office after a range day. Field strip and drop in everything but the Glock slide (fiber optic sights) and frame (plastic), and the 1911 slide (also fiber optic sights). Get her good and hot, set it for 480 seconds, and let ‘er rip. Usually just a quick wipe down with hoppes and 2-3 passes with a bore brush, then oil it all up with steel shield and back in the holsters they go. Also running the el cheapo harbor freight one.

Works great for paint brushes at the house too. For them I use either mineral spirits or plain water with dish soap and no heat. And obviously drain and wipe it out between. Also works for cleaning airless paint sprayer parts after painting stuff at the house. Impossible to get paint out of those nozzle holes otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm going to try to grab one next time I'm free. I have some BCG's and other parts that haven't been cleaned in forever. I also can blow them out with my compressor next to my workbench. I watched a youtube video just now, there they threw an entire lower into it. (It was a sig frame on a 250 or 320). So I don't see what would be the difference in throwing a glock frame in there, but if I can't no big deal also. I have an Octane HD 45 coming in also, and I can use this on my pistons and on my sparrow's core.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I can use this on my pistons and on my sparrow's core.

I have a GM22 can and I read not to US clean any coated parts or aluminum. That G-core is coated with something. Now the baffles on the HD 45 would be perfect. I scrubbed mine and it seemed to take forever.

"Aluminum: Do NOT use ultrasonic cleaners, harsh solvents, or steel brushes/picks. To avoid permanent damage, only use safe chemicals and brass or plastic utensils."

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    AR BCG, stripped down. It makes cleaning a suppressed gun’s BCG much easier.

Never found a need for pistol parts, but it’s good for restoration projects.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have a GM22 can and I read not to US clean any coated parts or aluminum. That G-core is coated with something. Now the baffles on the HD 45 would be perfect. I scrubbed mine and it seemed to take forever.

"Aluminum: Do NOT use ultrasonic cleaners, harsh solvents, or steel brushes/picks. To avoid permanent damage, only use safe chemicals and brass or plastic utensils."

I thought the sparrows monocore was stainless?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

I thought the sparrows monocore was stainless?

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    AR BCG, stripped down. It makes cleaning a suppressed gun’s BCG much easier.

Never found a need for pistol parts, but it’s good for restoration projects.

What do you use for a cleaner? I know there is no aluminum in a BCG but I used to think Simple Green was not harsh but I have read it does not like aluminum. If I screw up an AR BCG no biggie I can get another but I really don't want to screw up my M1A, FAL, Garand, SKS, ect..

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    What do you use for a cleaner? I know there is no aluminum in a BCG but I used to think Simple Green was not harsh but I have read it does not like aluminum. If I screw up an AR BCG no biggie I can get another but I really don't want to screw up my M1A, FAL, Garand, SKS, ect..

Hornady One Shot is okay to use.
    Lucas Oil makes a solvent for ultrasonic cleaners.
    Everyone has their own mix of whatever they like to use, just be sure it’s designed for what you’re intending to do.

There is a specific Simple Green for Aluminum.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    Yea, never use an ultrasonic cleaner on aluminum. I heard not to use it on titanium as well for the same reason as aluminum.

For your stainless steel baffles, especially those covered in carbon and lead, ie. from .22lr or cast bullets, wet tumbling with stainless steel pins is the way to go.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I run Ballistol in mine because when the water dries it leaves behind a thin coat of oil.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom