Reliable Modern 9mm Striker Fired Pistols

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    The whole reliability thing often gets blown out of proportion. Of course they will always have exceptions to any rule but the vast majority I would say even from $300-$600 will be reliable guns.

Agreed. I've experienced $179 handguns with thousands of flawless rounds on garbage ammo and $800 handguns that choke up if they don't get a prescription diet in a specific brand of magazine. I've been pleasantly surprised by budget guns, and disappointed by expensive ones. It all just depends.

I think reliability comes down to testing your individual weapon more than making any type of sweeping assumptions about brands. Obviously expensive guns are going to be objectively "better" than cheaper guns -- no sh*t -- but if I can feed several hundred rounds without issue through anything I'll consider that "reliable" enough for my standards.

My working assumption is that anything we see in a retail store from a big brand these days is going to have millions of dollars of R&D behind it and will more likely than not shoot just fine. Modern firearm production is just too good to make broad assumptions beyond what we'd normally expect from the price-to-quality relationship that applies to any product or service on earth.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Mix moving parts, heat, explosions, pressure, plastic, and ammo quality, eventually it will malfunction. Seems like many manufacturers have minimized the failure rate. I do feel Glock set the bar high and the others have been trying to match and surpass them. Bells and whistle features doesn’t always equate into reliability. Pick one and go with it.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I'm late to the Springfields but really like them and have had zero problems, but I can see how the grip safety would bother some people

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Basically all of the modern ones yes. Obviously some a lot more and some a lot less but in today’s day and age yes a modern striker fired 9mm 9 X out of 10 is going to be reliable.

I’m simply pointing out the irony of your blanket statement.

“Basically all of the modern ones,” such as? That’s the point of this thread. Typically, I would tell everyone that asks me for a pistol recommendation to buy a Glock Gen 5 17, but that’s not always the best choice for a variety of reasons.

I try to be more open to other options and be objective about why would one be a good choice. Having recently shot various P320 pistols and a VP9, among the others I’ve fired along the way, there is more to it than Glock.

As jlong pointed out, reliability is something you will figure out over time. Yes, some pistols are more reliable than others and as another member pointed out, sometimes different magazines can be unreliable.

:deadhorse:

We would do better with 9mm vs 45acp:eek3:

This isn’t a caliber debate.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Basically all of the modern ones yes. Obviously some a lot more and some a lot less but in today’s day and age yes a modern striker fired 9mm 9 X out of 10 is going to be reliable.

Agreed. I've experienced $179 handguns with thousands of flawless rounds on garbage ammo and $800 handguns that choke up if they don't get a prescription diet in a specific brand of magazine. I've been pleasantly surprised by budget guns, and disappointed by expensive ones. It all just depends.

I think reliability comes down to testing your individual weapon more than making any type of sweeping assumptions about brands. Obviously expensive guns are going to be objectively "better" than cheaper guns -- no sh*t -- but if I can feed several hundred rounds without issue through anything I'll consider that "reliable" enough for my standards.

My working assumption is that anything we see in a retail store from a big brand these days is going to have millions of dollars of R&D behind it and will more likely than not shoot just fine. Modern firearm production is just too good to make broad assumptions beyond what we'd normally expect from the price-to-quality relationship that applies to any product or service on earth.

P320 jokes aside, the problems are gone and have been remedied on guns that did have the issues. The majority of malfunctions with most off the shelf pistols are going to be ammunition or magazine related, so I wouldn’t count that against the firearm itself.

I’m mainly looking for a selection of striker fired 9mm pistols that I could provide to someone new.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    It wasn’t really a blanket statement. In today’s day and age if your buying a newer striker fired 9mm chances are the gun will be reliable. Of course they won’t all come maybe exactly how you like or want them but the fact of the matter is we live in the golden age of reliable hand gun options. You always have a chance of getting a lemon and like we all already know that’s why any gun you buy before considering using it for anything you need to put rounds through it and practice as often as possible with it. Let’s take academy for example or bass pro. Walk in and blindly pick a 9mm striker fired pistol and the chances of it being reliable in today’s day and age are a heck of a lot higher than it not being reliable.

telling everyone to buy a Glock 17 would be foolish. Of course you have to factor in what it is they are buying it for. The point of my comment was the whole reliability thing is often blown out of proportion these days. If someone buys a striker fired gun and it’s not feeding reliably, jamming, not extracting spent case, or whatever the issue may be chances are something is either wrong with that specific gun or magazine/ magazines.

we do see some models come out that have issues and the issues are usually quickly addressed.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It wasn’t really a blanket statement. In today’s day and age if your buying a newer striker fired 9mm chances are the gun will be reliable. Of course they won’t all come maybe exactly how you like or want them but the fact of the matter is we live in the golden age of reliable hand gun options. You always have a chance of getting a lemon and like we all already know that’s why any gun you buy before considering using it for anything you need to put rounds through it and practice as often as possible with it. Let’s take academy for example or bass pro. Walk in and blindly pick a 9mm striker fired pistol and the chances of it being reliable in today’s day and age are a heck of a lot higher than it not being reliable.

telling everyone to buy a Glock 17 would be foolish. Of course you have to factor in what it is they are buying it for. The point of my comment was the whole reliability thing is often blown out of proportion these days. If someone buys a striker fired gun and it’s not feeding reliably, jamming, not extracting spent case, or whatever the issue may be chances are something is either wrong with that specific gun or magazine/ magazines.

we do see some models come out that have issues and the issues are usually quickly addressed.

Would you say some striker fired pistols are more reliable than others?

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Sounds to me like you already have something in mind about what you’d like to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Sounds to me like you already have something in mind about what you’d like to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not for me.

Someone mentioned the Walther PPQ, which will be added to the list. Thus far, the only pistols I have no intention of recommending are the Springfield XD series. The rest of the comments here have been about reliability and not so much about reliable pistols.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course as I already stated.

Can you tell me some of the more reliable striker fired 9mm pistols? That’s what I’m looking for.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    It’s not for me.

Someone mentioned the Walther PPQ, which will be added to the list. Thus far, the only pistols I have no intention of recommending are the Springfield XD series. The rest of the comments here have been about reliability and not so much about reliable pistols.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you tell me some of the more reliable striker fired 9mm pistols? That’s what I’m looking for.

your original list is a really good starting point. With my experience and I’m only speaking on guns I’ve owned or own I would add the Taurus G3C. I bought it about 3 weeks ago and have 3 different range sessions with it for a total of 1200 rounds fired. I used every type of ammo I have available from 115gr, 124gr, 147gr brass fmj, 147gr flat nose, 115gr, 124gr, 147gr jhp and hst as well as 115gr steel case ammo and haven’t had a malfunction yet. For $280 or $330 coming with a Viridian red laser that’s definitely imo a solid gun for someone who may not have or may not want to spend $600 on a Glock or other striker fired hand gun. The apx like you mentioned is also an excellent choice and I don’t really consider that a budget gun even though it can be bought for around $375. I haven’t shot the carry version but the full size I absolutely love. I’m a huge fan of Glock. I absolutely love my G19 and G17 as well as the others chambered in different calibers. I would take my apx over my g17 or 19 any day.

Another gun I would recommend would be the Canik TP9 SF Elite, TP9 Elite combat, and TP9 SFX. They are all exceptional handguns although they are more pricey now then when they first came out.

I would also add the Glock 45 which I have experience with and have owned previously as well as the 19x which are essentially the same gun. If someone was into the 17 grip and 19 slide I would recommend the 45 over the 19x for the simple fact that for whatever reason Glock decided to make the 19x only accept 19x magazines. With the 45, like all other Glocks of it the same caliber and it fits you can use any double stack Glock magazine 17 rounds or better.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Out of curiosity Dave, why wouldn’t you recommend the Springfield XD series? I’ve never owned one, I’m not a fan of Springfield but I don’t recall seeing anything wrong with them and a lot of folks seem to like them.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Out of curiosity Dave, why wouldn’t you recommend the Springfield XD series? I’ve never owned one, I’m not a fan of Springfield but I don’t recall seeing anything wrong with them and a lot of folks seem to like them.

For the aforementioned reasons in this thread, along with failures I've witnessed in classes, as well as anecdotal evidence from other shooters that I trust. You don't see many competitors shooting XD's, even though they do exist. You also don't see many LEA's that issue the XD.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Another gun I would recommend would be the Canik TP9 SF Elite, TP9 Elite combat, and TP9 SFX. They are all exceptional handguns although they are more pricey now then when they first came out.

The two Caniks I have experience with were less than desirable. So I can't, in good faith, recommend them. They are lumped into the same category as Springfield XD's, in my opinion. I am hoping to be able to shoot one of the Optics Ready Canik pistols soon. It may change my mind, it may not. For the folks who will see this and get upset, my experience with Canik is a sample size of 2, so take it for what it's worth. This list is something just for me, personally. It's not meant to be a definitive list of anything.

I made this post, because I forgot about a few pistols, including the G45 & 19X you mentioned.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    The two Caniks I have experience with were less than desirable. So I can't, in good faith, recommend them. They are lumped into the same category as Springfield XD's, in my opinion. I am hoping to be able to shoot one of the Optics Ready Canik pistols soon. It may change my mind, it may not. For the folks who will see this and get upset, my experience with Canik is a sample size of 2, so take it for what it's worth. This list is something just for me, personally. It's not meant to be a definitive list of anything.

I made this post, because I forgot about a few pistols, including the G45 & 19X you mentioned.

understood. I would definitely include the G3C to the list. I would think the G2C is well from what I’ve heard from others I trust as well as have witnessed but I can’t for sure say on the G2c because I have no experience with it myself.

I think this would be a fun list to gather with guns chambered in .22lr. Not necessarily striker fired one just .22lr pistols in general. They are pretty hit or miss even from companies such as Glock who we are spoiled with making reliable gun after reliable gun. They definitely dropped the ball with the G44 imo. I expected a lot more coming from Glock.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA

Curious what kind of issues did you run into with the Caniks? Also what models were they?

I did some break-in on my Canik TP9SFx on Christmas day and it ran like a top for me with pretty good grouping. I didn't do any defensive ammo shooting as it is too expensive to shoot it right now and it is not my defensive gun anyways just a pistol I picked up to try out the Canik name. Could it have been a hollow point issue you had with the ones you shot? Just curious so I am on the look out in case I start to have issues.

I also liked the iron sights on the Canik better than the red dot I was shooting that day also.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Curious what kind of issues did you run into with the Caniks? Also what models were they?

I did some break-in on my Canik TP9SFx on Christmas day and it ran like a top for me with pretty good grouping. I didn't do any defensive ammo shooting as it is too expensive to shoot it right now and it is not my defensive gun anyways just a pistol I picked up to try out the Canik name. Could it have been a hollow point issue you had with the ones you shot? Just curious so I am on the look out in case I start to have issues.

I also liked the iron sights on the Canik better than the red dot I was shooting that day also.

Canik TP9 SF. I had to look them up, but I distinctly remember the red trigger safeties. One had issues with the trigger resetting and both had issues with the magazines sticking. It felt like the magazine catch was not deburred. I don’t have enough experience with them to recommend them or really recommend against them. I only have my experience to go off of. If I get a chance to shoot the optics ready Canik, I’ll post my thoughts. Any of the pistols I would recommend must have drop free magazines and reliably feed JHP defensive ammunition.

Just about every pistol I’ve mentioned thus far is capable of shooting 3-4* groups at 25 yards, if not better, with good quality ammunition. Any new gun I purchase or have the opportunity to shoot, I try to bench rest on a B8 at 25.

GearFondler

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    Pearl River, LA
    My working assumption is that anything we see in a retail store from a big brand these days is going to have millions of dollars of R&D behind it and will more likely than not shoot just fine.

Except when the manufacturer decides to let the customer share some of those millions on the R&D... I'm looking at you, Mr. P365.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom