The mêlée

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Ever since I first got into guns, especially since I have first started carrying, I've learned a lot, but of course one also hears an unquantifiable amount of BS.

When I first got my CCW permit two months after my 21st birthday, my dad was a bit concerned. I recall what he said to me: "I just worry that a criminal could take that gun so easily and shoot you with it."

I hear this sort of thing all the time, and it kind of burns me up. My dad never expressed any fear when I went out into public TOTALLY UNARMED, but when I decide to carry a gun (in New Orleans, for obvious reasons), he is suddenly concerned for my safety. Firstly this bothers me because there is a presumption of incompetence on my part. Secondly, it bothers me because of this broadly held assumption of SUPER COMPETENCE on the part of all criminals.

That is only peripherally the point, however. Basically, I want to stir up some crap/arguments here about that oh so mystifying aspect of the gun fight; when the attacker is in hand-to-hand range.

A few points to ponder:
    There seems to be a general presumption that if the BG gets in close it is all over, as well as a presumption that all criminals have years of ninja training in disarming people and that every attacker's first instinct when faced with a gun is to charge like a bull. That being said, there is the very real chance that an attacker can be much stronger than you (or on all kinds of drugs).

Even if the thug is your physical superior, how much of an edge does everyone feel the gun still gives you at close range? There is always the threat that the bad guy will get the gun, but this doesn't always happen. Thoughts on making effective shots at close range? There is also the difference in survivability between gunshot wounds and wounds inflicted by one with a knife or unarmed. I read somewhere that only 2.5% of stabbing victims die, which I assume is why most knife murders I hear about involve dozens of wounds. And if your attacker is unarmed, just how hurt can he get you before you plug him with a few? Personal experiences? I know you LEOs probably have things to say.

In sum, I am not advocating any particular strategy nor am I attempting to minimize the seriousness of these kinds of encounters. I think it is always a good idea to have a plan for these sorts of things, and training in unarmed combat never hurts (not that I have any). I just get a little bothered by anyone who takes Karate or something with a purpose of self defense but don't also carry a gun.

I just want to start a spirited discussion here about all the things to consider in this scenario that comes up in every discussion. There is always the point brought up in the 9 vs. 45 and other debates about "stopping power" when the proverbial assailant is attacking you, but there is never enough discussion of all those things in the equation not related to how big your gun is.

Discuss.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Secondly, it bothers me because of this broadly held assumption of SUPER COMPETENCE on the part of all criminals.

A few points to ponder:
    There seems to be a general presumption that if the BG gets in close it is all over, as well as a presumption that all criminals have years of ninja training in disarming people and that every attacker's first instinct when faced with a gun is to charge like a bull. That being said, there is the very real chance that an attacker can be much stronger than you (or on all kinds of drugs).
    You shouldn't assume that all criminals have a brick for a brain.

The person out to harm and/or rob you could be currently or formerly in the military.
    The person might be a career criminal who has seen and performed high levels of violence (experience).

Someone hyped up on meth, PCP, or crack can have numbness in some body parts and delusion of the mind that can give person the perception that they haven't been hurt, shot, stabbed, and a sense of invincibility; so they act on that perception.
    There is also the difference in survivability between gunshot wounds and wounds inflicted by one with a knife or unarmed. I read somewhere that only 2.5% of stabbing victims die, which I assume is why most knife murders I hear about involve dozens of wounds.
    Does it say where those stab and slash wound were placed?
    I bet most were on the extremities(arms and hands).
    Just like with a gun, placement is key.

This guy got slash to hell and back, but lived.
    http://bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2778 .

You outta see the amount of stabs a prison inmate can take.
    And if your attacker is unarmed, just how hurt can he get you before you plug him with a few? Personal experiences? I know you LEOs probably have things to say.
    The cop that pulled over George Temple II had multiple injuries and had to be taken away in an ambulance.

NOLA cop had her gun taken and was kill by a man w/ schizophrenia.
    http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/01/no_cop_killed_with_own_gun.html

:)

Last edited:

Saftman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Lafayette, La.
    I think I would rather risk being disarmed than to not be armed at all. Chances are if a bad guy is willing to try to take your gun & shoot you with it he would not hesitate to hurt or kill an unarmed person. Practice shooting accurately from the waist or hip level as well as shooting while stepping back or to the side. If possible try shooting from the ground on your back. You never know what position you will be in while defending yourself. Your Father doesn't mean any disrespect to you. The thought of any harm coming to you is probably amplified now that you are carrying. Parents can't help but worry about our children.

HRBR1800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Everyone has heard stories about incompetent criminals, but that is clearly not always the case. When i lived in the french quarter, the method of assault i was frequently warned against involved two assailants working out of a car. They would drive around till they saw a soft target, and then one bg would dismount, approach quickly from behind, and perpetrate the armed robbery. By the time the robbery was completed, the driver would have made the block and be back to pick up his partner.

The lesson I learned from that story was not to appear to be a soft target. Being aware of your surroundings and making an effort not to place yourself in dangerous situations will help reduce the likelihood that you will ever have to worry about being assaulted. It seems to me that you would be most likely to get assaulted on the street at night when you have been drinking, in which case you won't have a gun anyway. I am clearly new to this forum, and i have doubts about the utility of concealed carry. I would still get the permit to have the option, but I don't think a holstered pistol would do me much good against criminals working quickly with a plan.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Back to the beginning of your post . Your Father didn't think you were incompetent . He's just being a Father . They ( we ) worry . Mine was the same way . Shows he cares .

HRBR1800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Back to the beginning of your post . Your Father didn't think you were incompetent . He's just being a Father . They ( we ) worry . Mine was the same way . Shows he cares .

You're right that was a little OT. To get back to leadslugga's father's concerns - I don't think being disarmed is as big a concern as not having the time to draw or the training to know when you need to.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom