.45 ACP recommendation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jarredelectric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    I owned a Taurus 24/7 .45 compact that I purchased in 2005. It recently had some misfeed issues, so I sent it back to Taurus for a repair.

I called today and they told me that it is part of a class action lawsuit and they cannot repair or release my firearm until the appeals process is finished. At that point I will be able to get a replacement, an extended warranty or $200.

I am going to opt for the $200 and stay away from Taurus. The silver lining is that I need a new gun. I would like to stay in the .45 range. Interested in a glock 21, 41 (gen 4 because I like the grips) or a 1911.

This will be for home defense some target shooting and it needs a rail because it will have a trl 2 HL G streamlight laser/light.

I really like the colt marine 1911 that just came out and I like the g41. Any help is appreciated.

I carry a g19 gen 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I am older, and stubborn. I prefer a pistol with a manual safety, if I am not carrying a revolver.

I've got three 1911's and zero Glocks. Also have a couple of revolvers chambered in .45acp.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I really like the colt marine 1911 that just came out and I like the g41. Any help is appreciated.

I carry a g19 gen 4.

G21 because your home defense gun should be the same/similar platform as your carry gun. Going to a SAO platform, cocked and locked, might get confusing at 2:00 am when you hear a thump in the house.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    G21 because your home defense gun should be the same/similar platform as your carry gun. Going to a SAO platform, cocked and locked, might get confusing at 2:00 am when you hear a thump in the house.

Meh, he's a big boy... pretty sure he can handle pointing and squeezing lol. It comes down to a personal choice is all. I prefer the 1911 if I'm shooting .45, just because I love them.

jarredelectric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    I'm pretty sure I could handle realizing that I need to undo the safety. I would practice with a 1911 more since they are so nice to shoot. But is it worth the extra money?

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Springfield makes some very good 1911's for the $. They have a few with rails.

Whether it is 'worth the extra money' is really up to you. It is worth it for me. New gun shopping is always fun, hope you get one you like!

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I'm pretty sure I could handle realizing that I need to undo the safety. I would practice with a 1911 more since they are so nice to shoot. But is it worth the extra money?

So why is the G21 being considered since it's obvious you want a 1911? There are some fine 1911's out there for about the same price as a Glock 21. A Rock Island 1911 goes for $450-$650+, a Kimber $650-$800++, Springfields a little more, etc.

If you're looking to justify buying a Wilson Combat, I say go for it! :D

jarredelectric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    I'm really looking to justify the colt marine 1911 close quarters battle pistol for about $1500. It's beautiful. Only 7 rounds in the mag. Have you seen it?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    IMG_1248.JPG

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    The grips on G21's are pretty massive, even the SF version. If you've got big paws, you might not mind but for me they are a bit excessive.

On the 1911 front I have a Springfield Range Officer Operator which should tick all your boxes. American made, match barrel, rail, etc. It comes with 7rd mags but I use 8rd Chip McCormicks which fit flush, they have 10rd as well if you don't mind it sticking out the bottom. They are around $800 new I believe.

Edit: just saw you went big, congrats! Look forward to seeing it

Last edited:

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I'm really looking to justify the colt marine 1911 close quarters battle pistol for about $1500. It's beautiful. Only 7 rounds in the mag. Have you seen it?

Yep, Desert sand Cerakote with VZ grips, night sights, rail... 8-round magazines are available everywhere. If you must have a Colt, that one's a beauty!

BUT! For $1500 you can have a Dan Wesson that will hold its value.

jarredelectric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    Yep, Desert sand Cerakote with VZ grips, night sights, rail... 8-round magazines are available everywhere. If you must have a Colt, that one's a beauty!

BUT! For $1500 you can have a Dan Wesson that will hold its value.

Always wanted the colt. There's always next year.

Tanker

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Metairie, Louisana
    (1) Glock 21. Absolutely reliable, large after market doo-dads and upgrades available, low felt recoil.
    (2) Walther PPQ .45. Great trigger, AWESOME grip, reliable, accurate.

jarredelectric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    Took it to the range. Ran 107 rounds through it with no issues. Very reliable. Awesome gun.

Top Bottom