Knife Sharpener

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ewebb10

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    I went from a Lansky to an edge pro to free handing on stones. Free handing might not be everyone's cup of tea but I find it very satisfying to take a piece of metal to a rock and come away with a razor sharp edge.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I went from a Lansky to an edge pro to free handing on stones. Free handing might not be everyone's cup of tea but I find it very satisfying to take a piece of metal to a rock and come away with a razor sharp edge.

I bought an edge pro. Don’t really like it. Pretty expensive considering I never use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewebb10

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    It is definitely awkward at first but once you get the hang of it it works really well. And yeah pretty expensive, not Japanese natural stone expensive but that’s a whole nother rabbit hole. To the OPs original question I’d probably go lanskys or I hear good things about the spiderco sharpmaker.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have used a Lansky Sharpening System since the early 80's. I haven't priced them lately but they used to be about $30. It has a clamp and a guide that holds a consistent angle on both sides. My old kit came with 3 different grit stones and I usually only use 2 of them unless I am setting a new angle on a really bad edge when I will use the most coarse grit stone.
    It will put shaving edge on any type of blade although stainless steel takes a little longer. I use the same progression each time. Starting with 20 strokes on each side and counting down one stroke at a time to 0 with each stone.
    The finest stone is a pink ceramic and it feels like it is not grinding at all on the edge but it is honing the edge to razor thin. I end with a strop on an old piece of leather and it will shave.
    I used to like the steel in the old Browning fixed blade knives of the late 70's and early 80's before they went to almost all folding blades. I now buy Kershaw folders and Gerber folders. I haven't bought a new fixed blade in many years. I never liked Buck as they were almost impossible to sharpen without a power tool. They took to long to sharpen. I haven't looked at knives in a long time so I can't recommend any of the newer stuff. I also have a couple of 40 year old Case fixed blades that take an edge very easily. They are not stainless steel.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I purchased one of the Buck clamp on guide devices back in the day. Have a bunch of stones and diamond sharpeners and can get a decent edge with them. Bought a Lanskey diamond system. All these work, the problem is the time required to get the desired result. The Work Sharp is fast and can easily resurface a damaged blade. The V-Sharp is fast, working both sides of the blade at the same time, using the guide sets the same angle on each side.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Oh, the thing I like about the DMT is the diamond stones. They tend to cut better than some of the traditional stuff.... Might be good with some fancy steels.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    WorkSharp says to stop the power at the end of the blade and do not pull past the end of the blade. If you pull through past the blade tip it will round the tip end.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    WorkSharp says to stop the power at the end of the blade and do not pull past the end of the blade. If you pull through past the blade tip it will round the tip end.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Being instructed to accomplish that and doing it were two different things. I guess I am not coordinated enough to stop pulling and cutting the power at the right moment. It works fine on kitchen knives. I'll stick to the Lansky on my hunting knives and pocket knives. I have plenty of time.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Really want a fixed blade knife in the 4 inch size range... And not too expensive lost too many expensive ones now...

Boker Magnum line is disposable cheap and get the job done in most cases. Kershaw has cheap and inexpensive American made fixed blades. Moraknif survival knives are great stainless and carbon depending on your environment. And ESEE makes a good bush type fixed blades for $100-150 All are decent knives. American made are obviously better and you get what you pay for. Anything with D2 or SV30 from a reputable manufacturer should be good also.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Lansky puts a better edge but the Ken Onion Worksharp is soo quick. The edge is convex though, kinda like the opposite of hollow ground.

Grim333

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Madisonvile, La.
    FYI, I went to Mr. Roy's today to get a knife sharpened. I've never been very good at sharpening, but bought a stone and strop from Mr. Roy, and he gave me a lesson on how to do it. Nice guy.

Old Bubba

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    BRLA
    Without spending a ton of money you can get one of the Lansky type Sharping Systems. They work very well. Their any where from $40 to $80 depending on if you want the diamond abrasive or not. I used one for a couple of decades. But I've gotten old and tired and get tired of hand sharping large long blades. So I have gone to the Ken Onion knife sharper. I had one of the original Work Sharp sharpeners and when the Ken Onion came out I upgraded and bought it. I am very happy with it. It maybe not as precious as a Lansky type but it's close.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I said screw it and ordered some stones off amazon, and a couple 5 dollar knifes from there... plan is to get them dull and just practice... ill let you know if these cheap knifes are any good... also ordered one of Morkaniv knifes, great price for those knifes couldn't resist...

ewebb10

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Be careful with cheap knives. Cheap knives are made from cheap steel and depending on what it is they can be a total pain in the ass to sharpen. The used old hickory knives on ebay are cheap and not bad to learn on.
    When you start take a sharpie and color the bevel and up the side of the blade this will give you a visual of where you are removing steel and what adjustments to make in your angle. Also check out Jon with Japanese knife imports on you tube he has some very good tutorials. And be patient, you probably wont end up with a scalpel the first few times. Good luck man let us know how it goes!

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    Everyone who carries a knife should learn to put a basic edge on a knife with a stone.....like driving a car and not knowing how to put gas in it. It’s part of using a knife, it’s GOING to dull.

Shaving sharp is great, but not essential for vast majority of applications. *In the field* sharpening is one level then back at home/camp/whatever you can get that *next level* sharpening system. Those Ken Onion WS are fantastic hair popping edges .....once you set the bevel. Watch videos....a lot of them on proper technique and practice on a cheap set you get from Goodwill or don’t care about cause it will eat a tip if you don’t stop properly.

Sending off a knife is great and all, but who wants to be out of their EDC a week minimum. Then the cost of mailing both ways....you can buy a KOWS or decent Lansky. I just can’t see being dependent on someone else for something as simple as a knife.

A piece of 220 sandpaper on the outside of your wallet is enough to get a good working edge. And a dull knife Is much more dangerous than a sharp one.

Self reliance is liberating.

Top Bottom