I have never hunted. But may start, but have no real rifle to do so..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I've spent the last few hunting seasons hunting with a Winchester 94 in .30-30. A 150 grain bullet will have a nice entrance hole and a 1 1/2" exit crushing rib bones along the way..... I'm not sure the deer will consider that irrelevant.

Learn to shoot it at the distances you'll be hunting.

I use a Williams Peep Sight with a brass front bead and can group about a large fist at 100 yards with it. The only problem with that setup is you lose about 15 minutes of hunting at dusk and dawn as a scope collects light better. Deer are often out at those times, but you often have other chances for deer if you are still.

Iron sight lever guns are a nice light weight woods package with plenty of power.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    The OP has a 30-30 already so he would not be buying something he may not need. I would not hesitate to hunt deer with a 30-30! And, I would not hesitate to hunt deer with a .243 with 100grn softpoint rounds either! My next choice would be a .308 with 150grn soft point ammo.

30/30,308,30.06 all can use the same projectile, The .243 is no slouch like you said, I've killed a couple of bucks with one!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    It can should not be shot with regular hunting ammo - this needs clarification. I take it you are saying no regular hunting loads.
    So handloads with Nosler Partion, or Nosler Accubond, Bullets. That I have on hand? Do Have some Ballistic tips but think they are not for hunting?

Ballistic tip may or may not be a hunting bullet. The tip could be to help expansion and clean up the BC in a hunting round or just to help BC on a target round. Sounds like you get it though.
    Rifle & caliber choice could depend on some other factors like if you can go on an elk or mule deer in the future. Or even what you have to travel through.
    My brother went to a Weatherby Vanguard in .243 and he loves in in every way.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    Don't know about that but that happened 60 years ago I'm sure the statue of limitations ran out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Personally, I'd be proud to hunt with that rifle. Don't know what all the fuss is about. Anybody can show up at deer camp with the latest super nardo plastic rifle. There's a lot to be said for going with a little tradition and history. When I'm not bow hunting I enjoy my flint lock more than anything else I've killed a deer with. My vote - go with what you've got and concentrate on the experience of hunting.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Personally, I'd be proud to hunt with that rifle. Don't know what all the fuss is about. Anybody can show up at deer camp with the latest super nardo plastic rifle. There's a lot to be said for going with a little tradition and history. When I'm not bow hunting I enjoy my flint lock more than anything else I've killed a deer with. My vote - go with what you've got and concentrate on the experience of hunting.

I have a 243 when I'm just looking to put meat on the table, but at this point in life, like you, I'd rather take something in the woods with some history like a Winchester 1876, Garand, 1903, or k98. When you hunt and collect there's no stopping point on new/old rifles until you decide you've had enough.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    i'm from PA. grew up hunting whitetail and black bear. 30-30 is still one of the most popular cartridges and incredibly effective at bringing down big northern whitetail and the mass / velocity of the round makes it a great brush gun. as was said above, i probably wound't try to push it much past 175-200 yards though. after that it's pretty much got the trajectory of a brick. that said, all the fancy-schmancy new calibers designed with these computer thingymajiggers have just mind-blowing ballistics and very manageable recoil. when i left up north, the 7mm RUM was "the" thing to get but it kicks like a rented mule in a rifle light enough to actually carry if you're actually "hunting" (as opposed to sitting in a tree stand "waiting").

my two cents a 30-06 and 308 are also great whitetail calibers but more geared at longer ranges like power lines or big fields. not that they won't get the job done though! that 1903 would be one heck of a piece but it's gonna beat you up humping it if you've got a good walk in to get to your spot. plus you'll have the walk out, hopefully dragging a big ol' lump of meat...

bottom line though whichever one you're most comfortable making a clean kill shot with, go ahead and take that puppy for a walk in the woods. have fun!

Last edited:

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    Depends on where you're hunting really as to which you should take, but everyone has already said that. Personally my marlin 336 in 30-30 is my go to over any other caliber I own, including .270 and 30-06. I think a lot of the poo poo it gets these days is mostly from kind of guys who hunt with 7win mags and have nothing over 100yd shots. It's done it's job dozens of times between 150-200yds for me just fine. I've had about 5 of them make it about 20 or 30 feet after a good chest shot, but they all had chests full of jello.

30-06 is a good round though that not many people use anymore because it's not a magnum round or the latest thing. But you can load a 30-06 in 110gr all the way to 250 grain, so that should cover everything from coyotes to grizzlys pretty good.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    What I ended up doing was made some 30-06 to what books say are good to go in Garand and 1903.
    Used some Nolser Partition, some Ballistic Tipped Hunting, and AccuBond
    Thinking the scope is good enough to hit a guy at 300, in WWII And use them on paper at Camp Perry. It should do good with Bambi.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    What I ended up doing was made some 30-06 to what books say are good to go in Garand and 1903.
    Used some Nolser Partition, some Ballistic Tipped Hunting, and AccuBond
    Thinking the scope is good enough to hit a guy at 300, in WWII And use them on paper at Camp Perry. It should do good with Bambi.

I would sat you are good to go.
    Wingate

Top Bottom