Suggestions for Rifle Mag Carrier for Duty Belt

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm looking to get 2 rifle mag carriers to attach to a duty belt. My duty belt is almost 2" wide and about 1/4" thick. I need to be able to add them and take them off as needed without having to remove anything else from the belt. My first thought was the Blade Tech double rifle mag carrier with the Tek-Lok attachment. The width is good but the thickness of the belt will not allow the tec-lok to close. Most other options out there seem to be molle attachments. Because the belt is right under 2", it's the width of two strips of webbing. But because I'm sorta forcing the molle, I don't know if a 2 deep carrier (click for example) will be stable enough.

I'm pretty sure I've settled on the G-Code Soft Shell Scorpion with the molle clip. The molle clip covers 3 widths of webbing on a vest and there is no webbing on the back of the carrier so there may be some play in the carrier when attached. I think I can add some velcro to the inside of the clip that will mate with the inside of the duty belt to alleviate that issue. I believe my second choice would be the esstac 5.56 Double KYWI Shorty. I think my third choice may be the HSGI Taco. For some reason I'm not a huge fan of those.

So my question is this: does anyone have any suggestion regarding a better way to attach molle to a duty belt? Or does anyone have any suggestion about a different mag carrier that can be put on and taken off as needed?

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I have a nylon duty belt for work and my bladetech works just fine. I have the single mag holder with tek-lok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a nylon duty belt for work and my bladetech works just fine. I have the single mag holder with tek-lok

I have a different belt. It's obviously thicker than the nylon belt. I thought the tak-lok would work but it didn't. I may grab a Blackhawk Mod-U-Lok to test out the hole pattern to see if that may be the solution. That's the attachment that is on the taser holster and I know that fits my belt. It seems to be a bit bigger than the tek-lok.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I tried a molle tourniquet holder on my duty belt once, fit loose, snap kept coming open. I wouldnt have the real estate to carry a rifle mag anywhere on mine, I'm pretty much jam packed

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    A option that may help somewhat with one mag is the safariland model 74 double pistol mag pouch that has a Rifle mag pouch behind the pistol mags. Not a easy on and off but it doesn't take up space on the belt and when you don't carry a Rifle mag the empty spot is great for holding a smartphone.

https://www.safariland.com/magazine...h-32192.html#sm.00012p8lrp17omdptwz3wej9fa9nr

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I run a dsg magazine holder, has a belt clip and I want to say you can pick sizes
    You may also want to look into comptac. Since they tend to have a lot of options

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    How about something like this.

a8a52f307d09f7a358c16674d1fb2f4c.png

1f7f6fe637a0d9261e58a6b63f83c061.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    safariland model 74: I like it. If I didn't use the safariland open top 3 mag carrier, this would be on the short list.

dsg magazine holder: I have a DSG holster for a glock 42 and am pleased with it. The largest clip I could find is 1.75", a little too small for the belt.

comp-tac: uses tek-lok or fits up to a 1.75" belt.

The main issue I've come across is my unique requirements. They eliminate a number of good possibilities. I may end up going with something custom. Before I do that, I need to figure out the attachment method to build the carriers around. I think that's the main problem spot.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    I have a itw fastmag, which I've had for 5 years and love it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    The main issue I've come across is my unique requirements. They eliminate a number of good possibilities. I may end up going with something custom. Before I do that, I need to figure out the attachment method to build the carriers around. I think that's the main problem spot.

How about something like this to build around?

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/paddle-clip-for-moduloader-frames/

Not sure of the dress requirements but this holder with the above clip should hold up great.

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/hsgi-rifle-taco/

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How about like this to build around?

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/paddle-clip-for-moduloader-frames/

Not sure of the dress requirements but this holder with the above clip should hold up great.

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/hsgi-rifle-taco/

I can't come up with a truly valid reason but I'm not a fan of the Taco. Maybe it's the trademarked name that seems to have to have TM or C or quotes almost every time it's printed. But the mounting system initially seemed like it could work with the esstac although the reviews on clip are not good. Granted, the negative reviews are mostly specific to the person rather than the product. One looks like he didn't adjust the belt clip from the 2" setting and wondered why it did not fit snug. Another thinks it should come with the backing. And the other negative talked about the play in the system, perhaps a similar issue to the first complaint. What I find interesting is the pictures for the clip show it mounted on a taco with some sort of backing and the description for the clip mentions two, three, four, and five finger frames. From the description and the picture, those frames seem to work with molle pouches. But those frames are not easily found on their website, making the clip useless in the context of attaching a taco to a belt.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I can't come up with a truly valid reason but I'm not a fan of the Taco. Maybe it's the trademarked name that seems to have to have TM or C or quotes almost every time it's printed. But the mounting system initially seemed like it could work with the esstac although the reviews on clip are not good. Granted, the negative reviews are mostly specific to the person rather than the product. One looks like he didn't adjust the belt clip from the 2" setting and wondered why it did not fit snug. Another thinks it should come with the backing. And the other negative talked about the play in the system, perhaps a similar issue to the first complaint. What I find interesting is the pictures for the clip show it mounted on a taco with some sort of backing and the description for the clip mentions two, three, four, and five finger frames. From the description and the picture, those frames seem to work with molle pouches. But those frames are not easily found on their website, making the clip useless in the context of attaching a taco to a belt.

I've used those clips mounted to a kydex carrier before and it was rock solid.

Using those clips on something soft like the Taco pouch may reduce the performance of the clip not sure. I'm not a fan of the Tacos myself but people I know say they work great.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've used those clips mounted to a kydex carrier before and it was rock solid.

Using those clips on something soft like the Taco pouch may reduce the performance of the clip not sure. I'm not a fan of the Tacos myself but people I know say they work great.

But even if I wanted to use the clip on the kywi or other molle pouch, I can't. The clips attach to an item that I can't seem to find as being sold anywhere.

20121122-140823.jpg

raven-concealment-moduloader-frames-subload-base-5-finger-size-19.jpg

I was obviously searching while I was typing and I did find it for sale.
    http://www.evike.com/products/67024/
    Evike seems to be an airsoft site. And the belt loops are riveted to the frame.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom