Ammo storage in non climate controlled area.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    I keep mine in GI ammo cans, but in a climate controlled area. Now if your cans and seals are ok, then the ammo should be fine for a long, long time. I mean if no holes in the can or rim of can bent so seal cannot function properly. If seals are dried and cracked as some are, and are difficult if not impossible to replace, take some silicone RTV type sealant and fill cracks and apply a thin layer over entire seal area. Put some kind of lubricant, silicone grease or spray on rim of can to act as release agent, then close can and allow the sealant to set, effectively refreshing and creating a new seal.

lottem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    When I left home for the Navy in 1976 I left 5 bricks of Remington thunderbolt in a storage cabinet in a barn in western Kansas. In the mid 90's my mother reminded me that they were still there. I brought them back to Louisiana and shot them over the next few years. I had no failures to fire with any of these rounds.

If I was doing it now I think that I would seal the boxes/bricks in a seal-a-meal bag with an indicating desiccant packet before putting them in an ammo can.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    New Orleans, LA
    Is there any where locally I can buy a new ammo can? Also, with the pre-loaded magazines with defensive ammo, how do you keep them dry and bed-side? I have my rifle and a couple of mags in a 5.11 bag with a silica-pack inside. My house has central a/c though so I assume its not too bad.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Can anyone recommend a good ammo can? I have some from when I was in the navy that are still decent. I found a couple at academy about a month ago that also seem to work well. I was disappointed when ordering some redneck ammo cans as I heard they were top quality. The three I received do not seal when closing the lid and even bringing them inside to store ammo my decicant packs were bad after just one week. I checked three weeks in a row adding new desiccant and each time the desiccant packs were bad. The other cans I have I don’t even check them anymore because everytime I did the desiccant packs were still good to go.

also what’s everyone’s opinion on using food saver bags and vacuum sealing? Overkill or a good idea?

leave the ammo in original package or dump lose rounds into bags? I know with shotgun shells it’s better to leave them in the boxes because your able to fit more into the cans. I don’t think it would be the same with handgun or rifle ammo that comes with spacers.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Can anyone recommend a good ammo can? I have some from when I was in the navy that are still decent. I found a couple at academy about a month ago that also seem to work well. I was disappointed when ordering some redneck ammo cans as I heard they were top quality. The three I received do not seal when closing the lid and even bringing them inside to store ammo my decicant packs were bad after just one week. I checked three weeks in a row adding new desiccant and each time the desiccant packs were bad. The other cans I have I don’t even check them anymore because everytime I did the desiccant packs were still good to go.

also what’s everyone’s opinion on using food saver bags and vacuum sealing? Overkill or a good idea?

leave the ammo in original package or dump lose rounds into bags? I know with shotgun shells it’s better to leave them in the boxes because your able to fit more into the cans. I don’t think it would be the same with handgun or rifle ammo that comes with spacers.

Be careful with vacuum sealing,To much vacuum and bullets start coming out of those cases....

Top Bottom