Anyone ride dual sport bikes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    LETS GO RIDE! Have we got any new members on

Well I scooped up a 2008 KLR 650 from WildBillKelso in a trade. Man is this thing an upgrade from my 2015 TW200! I have been upgrading/refurbing things on it (including the factory plastics). I will post pictures of when I got it compared to when shes done.....but heres a teaser for now:

uqs5rHA.jpg
    Hmm... another KLR rider... By upgrading I assume replacing all the plastic zip ties with metal pipe clamps? Is that not what it means to ride a KLR?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Hmm... another KLR rider... By upgrading I assume replacing all the plastic zip ties with metal pipe clamps? Is that not what it means to ride a KLR?

Haha. Theres a few of each on there! I just replaced winsshield harware, got a 2011 oem seat from ebay for $80 and put an ims shifter. I also had to pullapart the gage cluster and reprofile the trip meter mechanism so it would reset correctly. Its been fun as hell tinkering with it so far. Theres so much after market ****.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to see her getting use! Style points added for the classic AR.

Yes sir! Thanks again. Im really enjoying the bike. Stay tuned for updated pics.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Nice mount for the SP1, but don't trust the bands - they quickly dry rot (at least they did on my ATV). Must be made out of that brittle Chinese rubber like on air hoses. Like the panniers, too.

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    So, been riding the trails for a while and decided a dual sport bike would be my next bike. Myself and 2 other guys just got Yamaha XT 250's. We are going to start riding the TAT next month. We only have a week at a time so... Pics will come soon.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I went down to Walker Rd for a little after work adventure time.
    Note the restored plastics.

p6BqNzW.jpg

0Guf2K5.jpg

On a side note, I will be looking to get rid of my 2015 tw200 soon if anyone is looking to get into a beginner's adventure bike. Please gimme a holler if youre curious.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    That is gonna be some nice competition for the Suzuki 400 bikes.

What I do not understand is why the manufactures do not realize that the current DS bikes are really good as is, just slap EFI in there, save on the R&D costs, the DRZs would be perfect then.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Just rode in the Smoky Mountains

Just got back Tuesday from riding my XT250 on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the dirt and paved Cherohala parkway. Totaled about 385 mi over 2 days, about 90 mi on dirt/gravel forest roads. Nice and cool at 4,000-5,000 feet elevation where the trees are still bare of leaves. Almost no traffic in the middle of the week, and the campgrounds were nearly empty since school is still in session.

I trailered the XT behind my wife's Caravan and blew a tire on the Caravan just outside of McComb on the return trip. Rather than use the donut spare, I strapped the tire on the back of the XT and rode back to McComb to replace the tire.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Looks like the CRF450L has the X engine. This is not going to be a low maintenance or long life engine. The six speed trans will help with highway duties. This is not the hens tooth I was looking for.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Looks like the CRF450L has the X engine. This is not going to be a low maintenance or long life engine. The six speed trans will help with highway duties. This is not the hens tooth I was looking for.

They lowered the compression and added another ring on the Piston. They also added weight to the flywheel to tame the best. Result is that is dropped 15 hp to be at 45hp. I'm very curious about what that does to longevity. Compression is still kind of high but not sky high anymore. My main concern is the titanium valves, as they are very sensitive to contaminated oil. So with 1.8l oil capacity you cannot absorb a whole lot of contamination. Then the valves start to go... By taming the revs with that flywheel hopefully the crank lasts longer. I need to double check to see if it's wet-sump or dry-sump as with dry-sump you can always add an oil cooler to increase capacity.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    This excerpt is from one of the current media blitz releases. It sheds a little light on what segment of the market it targets. It's the word "hobby" that is so informative. Looks like a fun bike if it fits your needs.
    Peak power for the 2019 CRF450L comes in at 25 HP (18.4kW), with a peak torque rating of 23.6 ft/lb TQ (32Nm). Important from the hobby trail-rider’s perspective is the engine’s reliability and gap between service intervals. And this is where the CRF450L’s build quality and design really stands out; it will go 20,000 miles (32,000km) between major stripdowns, with an air filter oil and oil filter change every 620 miles (1000km).

Last edited:

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    Peak power for the 2019 CRF450L comes in at 25 HP (18.4kW), with a peak torque rating of 23.6 ft/lb TQ (32Nm)

25 hp is supposed to be for the euro model

The American version is supposedly mid 40’s in HP.
    The source was a quote from Honda’s official you tube channel.

Top Bottom