Denham Springs Walmart policy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I'M UPDATING MY POST. I LOOKED UP LA LAW ON THE SUBJECT. WALMART IS RIGHT

Walmart policy?
    I was waiting to get some tires at the Denham Springs Walmart July 4 and since I had plenty of time to wait I went to sporting goods.
    Got to talking to the young guy working there about guns and crazy Walmart policy on different stuff.
    He told me that if someone comes to buy a gun and gets denied they hold the paper work and call LPSO. He said a LPSO Deputy comes and if the person is still in the store they talk to them and if not they look at the video so see who it was.

What's the deal about that?

I asked him why they didn't call Denham Springs PD since they are in the city. He said he didn't know, I told him it might be because the DSPD Chief knows our laws and doesn't want to play Walmart's game.

Anyone heard of that?

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Circumventing people’s rights again. This falls in the same hole with red flag crap in my opinion. What’s next? If I wind up on the no fly list can I expect a visit from law enforcement? Oh wait...I think the TSA has jurisdiction outside of airports now...
    This place is falling apart.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I see I might have learned something this morning.

§95.1.3. Fraudulent firearm and ammunition purchase; mandatory reporting

A. It is unlawful for any person:

(1) To knowingly solicit, persuade, encourage, or entice a licensed dealer or private seller of firearms or ammunition to sell a firearm or ammunition under circumstances which the person knows would violate the laws of this state or of the United States.

(2) To provide to a licensed dealer or private seller of firearms or ammunition what the person knows to be materially false information with intent to deceive the dealer or seller about the legality of a sale of a firearm or ammunition.

(3) To willfully procure another person to engage in conduct prohibited by this Section.

B. For purposes of this Section:

(1) "Ammunition" means any cartridge, shell, or projectile designed for use in a firearm.

(2) "Licensed dealer" means a person who is licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 923 to engage in the business of dealing in firearms or ammunition.

(3) "Materially false information" means information that portrays an illegal transaction as legal or a legal transaction as illegal.

(4) "Private seller" means a person who sells or offers for sale any firearm or ammunition.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to a law enforcement officer acting in his official capacity or to a person acting at the direction of such law enforcement officer.

D. Whoever violates the provisions of Subsection A of this Section shall be fined not less than one thousand dollars or more than five thousand dollars, or imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not more than twenty years, or both. The sentence imposed shall be served without benefit of parole, probation, or suspension of sentence.

E.(1) If a person is reported ineligible to purchase firearms by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), the licensed dealer shall report the NICS denial to the sheriff of the parish in which the attempted purchase occurred and to the Louisiana Automated Victim Notification System.

(2) If at any time a law enforcement agency discovers that a licensed dealer knew or should have known that a purchaser or attempted purchaser of a firearm was prohibited from possessing a firearm and the licensed dealer failed to report as required by this Section, the sheriff or law enforcement agency shall notify all state and federal licensing agencies of the licensed dealer's failure to report.

Acts 2012, No. 335, §1; Acts 2018, No. 367, §1, eff. Oct. 1, 2018.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    If you are not legally allowed to purchase a firearm, and try to do it anyway, it is illegal. Why wouldn't WalMart, or any FFL holder, call the sheriff?

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    DSPD, and LPSO, are both crooked jokes. I used to live in Denham on Arnold Rd. I left and came back to JP because of their law enforcement agencies after making friends with people within and being informed of how things happen with them.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    DSPD, and LPSO, are both crooked jokes. I used to live in Denham on Arnold Rd. I left and came back to JP because of their law enforcement agencies after making friends with people within and being informed of how things happen with them.

If you lived on Arnold Road you Did Not Live in Denham Springs. You lived in the woods in an Unincorporated Area of Livingston Parish.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Walmart.... no licking ice cream, squeezing the Charmin, sniffing potatoes, trying on underwear, squeezing Mellon’s, what’s next? I need to get into the sign making business. If only I held the patent on the little *made in China* stickers that I peel off of 90% of what is sold in the stores.Guns and Ammo kiosk manned by a alphabet agent would alleviate all the confusion. Polygraph, hair, blood, DNA sample and a new huge tax should do it. It’s for the children of course.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

DSPD Chief is my buddy and a member here. He should enjoy you're post

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I had always heard bad thing about LPSO but never about DSPD. And most of the time, the trash talk about LPSO was from people who had broken the law and gotten arrested by LPSO. Not all of the time, but certainly most of the time.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Correct me if I’m wrong (never had this problem), but someone who is not a prohibited person may be denied due to similar name, typo, etc. So wouldn’t calling the police and reporting on someone who may have the misfortune of having the wrong name, be overly punitive?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Every FFL has this policy. It's federal law. They'll shut us down if we don't.

At the last seminar I asked if we shouldn't be reporting denials to the sheriff's office in which the prohibited person resides. That seemed like it would make more sense.

I was told no. Report to the jurisdiction that your shop is in.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Every FFL has this policy. It's federal law. They'll shut us down if we don't.

At the last seminar I asked if we shouldn't be reporting denials to the sheriff's office in which the prohibited person resides. That seemed like it would make more sense.

I was told no. Report to the jurisdiction that your shop is in.

It's where the "crime" was committed.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Lol, you went through the trouble of moving based off of what someone told you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Correct me if I’m wrong (never had this problem), but someone who is not a prohibited person may be denied due to similar name, typo, etc. So wouldn’t calling the police and reporting on someone who may have the misfortune of having the wrong name, be overly punitive?

If the person is "denied," not just "delayed," then the retailer is in line with the law by calling, and doing the right thing. The only overly punitive act would be a scenario where an officer jumps the gun and arrests the attempted purchaser without properly verifying the circumstances to assure that the denial was accurate. Approaching and talking about it is not a punitive action.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    If the person is "denied," not just "delayed," then the retailer is in line with the law by calling, and doing the right thing. The only overly punitive act would be a scenario where an officer jumps the gun and arrests the attempted purchaser without properly verifying the circumstances to assure that the denial was accurate. Approaching and talking about it is not a punitive action.

Yeah. I could see that not going so well if someone was kind of pissy over being denied. Then an officer showed up a little too amped up. Pissy dude gets belligerent with overly amped officer perfect storm ensues.

Cooler heads would likely prevail, but sometimes things happen.

Never mind those who are a little paranoid even fearful of the government. I imagine that could be a potentially bad day for all involved.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah. I could see that not going so well if someone was kind of pissy over being denied. Then an officer showed up a little too amped up. Pissy dude gets belligerent with overly amped officer perfect storm ensues.

Cooler heads would likely prevail, but sometimes things happen.

Never mind those who are a little paranoid even fearful of the government. I imagine that could be a potentially bad day for all involved.

If someone gets denied because of an administrative mistake, then there's absolutely no reason to get "pissy." Most of us learned in grade school that throwing a tantrum doesn't solve any problems (it usually creates more of them). A calm and cool head will be the best way to get through that situation (or any encounter with law enforcement, for that matter).

Mike

Top Bottom