Which SA M1A for me

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rough Rider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2014
    Jefferson Parish
    I have wanted an "M14" ever since the Chief Gunner's Mate gave us a 30 minute indoc in "The Gulf" and then put one in my hand with orders, 'If you see a swimmer and you don't recognize them, shoot them" in 1989. With various firearms in the vault since then but still no "M14" I'm about to "pull the trigger" because I gots to get me one.

I'm thinking I want a standard with walnut to maintain a since of tradition but I'm also realizing that a (parkerized) shorter barrel on a battle rifle in the woods and swamps in SELA is more practical. I'm hoping that you guys can provide some input so that I can make an informed decision. Thoughts and suggestions?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    GO FOR IT!!!!! I my self am a "little fella" 5'5" around 130lbs, I always look for a "compact" hell I love a youth gun,lol. So if it was me I would go with the 16" or 18"... I had a fal with an 21" barrel and just got it cut down to 16.25" and I love it!!! I bought a m1a preban "bush rifle" it is to my understanding what is now the "scout" that is out now, main differences are it has a flash hider and not a brake, most of all the parts are military parts, and it doesn't have the scout rail. Its an 18", haven't really shot it much past 100 yards but it is a tack driver. I have carried it around several times in the southern swamps but never been able to kill anything with it, but it is a great option. I guess it just boils down to preference, mine came with a wood stock and it was VERY THICK, almost felt like holding a 2"x4", so I waited and waited and never found a nice military synthetic stock that I liked and just went with a spring field civilian black stock. A lot of people complain about the flex of these stocks but it hasn't been an issue with me and its very light an makes the gun very stream line and narrow now. What ever model you go with I don't think you can go wrong, good luck to you buddy

Attachments

• me2.jpg
      me2.jpg
      118.2 KB · Views: 133
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      222.1 KB · Views: 122
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      252.1 KB · Views: 125
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      262.9 KB · Views: 117
    Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    While never having been in the service I always wanted one since firing my dads M1 Garand. I finally found a pre-ban standard a few years ago and is my absolute favorite rifle that I have ever owned/shot, and I have had plenty of them. I wanted standard for the reason you stated--closest to its GI brother but semi. Love this rifle!!!!
    View attachment 71174

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I grabbed a SA M1A Scout 3 years ago. Love it, took 4 deer the last 2 seasons with it.
    Just started working on accuracy as I have finally determined the grouping issue isn't me. I plan to do some long range shooting with it eventually.

Ive found that walking the pines in MS has worked very well with the shorter barrel. Its also much easier to handle than the lighter, but longer, hunting rifles I have when dealing with 4wheelers, carts, tree climbing, and entering/exiting box stands.
    Rifle has been wet, dirty, dropped (whoops) and the finish remains like new.

Last edited:

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    While never having been in the service I always wanted one since firing my dads M1 Garand. I finally found a pre-ban standard a few years ago and is my absolute favorite rifle that I have ever owned/shot, and I have had plenty of them. I wanted standard for the reason you stated--closest to its GI brother but semi. Love this rifle!!!!
    View attachment 71174

I killed my first deer with my grandpa's M1 Garand when I was 11. Rifle was far too heavy for me @11 and he sold it. Wanted to grab an M1a since the day I realized what I did.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Congratulations on aiming for the M14. There is a lot of good info about the rifle on this and other boards but it all boils down to your personal preference and what you intend to do with the rifle. The standard has a 20 inch barrel but the flash hider makes it effectively longer. If you ever intend to shoot highpower you would want to stay with the standard model, but many are perfectly fine with the bush or scout rifle

My choice was to go with standard models but I built both of mine from bare receivers with all GI parts and heavy barrels. In hindsight I should have built the second one with either a medium or light/standard barrel. I also have four stocks for the two rifles so that I can change around a little: two birch oversize, one painted and one stained/oiled, then one standard walnut and one GI fiberglass.

DSC_0165.jpg DSC_0331.jpg DSC_0179.jpg

Last edited:

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    Mine is as close to as issued GI as I can get it. I love it. It shoots great. I like shooting historical weapons as well as some modern rifles with all the do-dads added. When my kids were young, I would take them to the range and let them shoot a Springfield 1903 and tell them of my grandfather's time in France in WW-1. And then shoot the Garand and talk about my dad's and his several brother's service in WW-2. I also have the German, Japanese, English WW-2 era rifles. A Russian rifle is absent from my collection. I didn't have the M1A then, but that would have triggered discussion of an uncle's service in Korea. I was not drafted and did not serve in the military, but we shot a first generation AR-15 and discussed Viet Nam. I also have an early AK-47 of Chinese manufacture. I would like to get an early Russian AK-47. Viet Nam was the war of my generation but not me personally. It still shaped a lot of who and what I am. I am a student of history and weapons are history you can touch and feel and teach. I also have some modern M4s in my historical collection as well as being modern shooters. I have recently added a Krag from the Spanish American War to my little collection. I would love to add Confederate and Union Civil War rifles. I'll probably have to settle for a reproduction at some point due to cost. My great grand-father served in the 3rd Georgia Infantry Company B and C and served under Robert E Lee. He surrendered at the Appomattox Courthouse and was in a POW camp for a while. This civil war veteran fathered my grandfather in 1903 so I'm not many generations away from the Civil War. One uncle that is a WW-2 bomber pilot and his grandson was born before this Civil War veteran died is still with us. I had breakfast with him last Saturday. My grandfather died when I was 18. I wish I would have had the wisdom then to ask many questions. When you are 18, he was just an old man, and I was a stupid kid.

Last edited:

miscverb

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Destrehan LA
    i also love the m1a for a number of reasons. i could not decide so i purchased a loaded and a scout squad, both in walnut. very fun to shoot. i do find the loaded is a bit more accurate which is to be expected.

Rough Rider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2014
    Jefferson Parish
    i also love the m1a for a number of reasons. i could not decide so i purchased a loaded and a scout squad, both in walnut. very fun to shoot. i do find the loaded is a bit more accurate which is to be expected.

I had logged on to post the same thing except that I would go with the Standard (light barrel) and upgrade the trigger later and then get a scout.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Which is fine depending on what you want it for.
    I bought the SAI standard, Added a USGI hammer and firing pin, Sadlak tin piston and spring guide ( You will bend SAI spring guide rod with Winchester white ammo) Sadlak scope mount, Its a fine shooter for what I do!

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    How is cheek weld, that's the one thing holding me back from scoping mine, wish I could find an "arms 18 mount" they look the lowest in profile

merlin661

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I would have to say get the loaded best bang for your buck. Better barrel and trigger than the standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom