Aphid Infestation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TDuhe87

PADUE
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Prairieville
    I know there are a few farmers out there. It is that time of the year for aphids in the garden and I have them bad. They are all over my bell pepper and eggplant plants. I cant get rid of them. I have been doing some research online and some people say you can kill them by spraying a dish soap solution on them. Anybody out there ever tried this. If so how much soap to use per gallon and does it matter what kind of soap to use. Also I have read that after you spray the plants you have to wash them off with water a couple hours later so the soap does not burn the plants. Anyone out there have any knowledge on this issue?

Thanks

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I know there are a few farmers out there. It is that time of the year for aphids in the garden and I have them bad. They are all over my bell pepper and eggplant plants. I cant get rid of them. I have been doing some research online and some people say you can kill them by spraying a dish soap solution on them. Anybody out there ever tried this. If so how much soap to use per gallon and does it matter what kind of soap to use. Also I have read that after you spray the plants you have to wash them off with water a couple hours later so the soap does not burn the plants. Anyone out there have any knowledge on this issue?

Thanks

I tried this years ago on a satsuma tree I had that was badly infested. Didnt turn out well. It caused the tree to drop all its leaves off and for a while I thought I had actually killed it but, it survived. I used dawn brand soap, dont remember how much I mixed to water, and may have left it on too long before rinsing it off. I hesitate from trying it ever again even though I may have been the one at fault.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    I use sevin dust weekly since i noticed they were ripping through my garden pretty heavily. The rain will wash it away fairly quickly and they will be back before you know it though.

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    Go to Home Depot, Lowes or a garden center. Get 2 things. Horticultural spray oil and insect killing soap. I use Safer Brand soap it's potassium salts of fatty acids and I found it works the best. I don't remember the exact mixing amounts off the top of my head but I believe it's 6oz of soap and 1.25 oz of oil per gallon. It'll say it in the directions for aphid control on the label. One spraying is s about all you'll need. They'll be dead overnight. It's not as good as acetamiprid at killing them but acetamiprid is systemic and I'm sure you don't want to use that on vegetables you'll be eating later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    What about buying some praying Mantis's?

A few yrs ago I got some. They helped out and were cool to watch. Most garden stores should sell them.

Wow, never heard of that. Which stores handle them, I might would be interested in getting some. I am sure the Mantis would kill other bugs as well. Hopefully mosquitos!

notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I believe it was an exterminator shop if I'm not mistaken. But they can also be purchased in bulk mail order. (The eggs didn't work for me, so I just got the grown ones.

Side note: if you have kids order 500-1000 ladybugs and let your little one release them by hand. It was pretty cool.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I believe it was an exterminator shop if I'm not mistaken. But they can also be purchased in bulk mail order. (The eggs didn't work for me, so I just got the grown ones.

Side note: if you have kids order 500-1000 ladybugs and let your little one release them by hand. It was pretty cool.

Thanks for the info! I like ladybugs! Will they eat aphids as well?

Top Bottom