Spreading the Love of Jesus

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    This is one of those things where, if I was just some dude with some type of job where an arrest or two wouldn't make or break my career, I might find it worth some misdemeanor bail money and a year or two on the naughty list just to sort that Grinch out for being such an ass to all of those kids. What a giant douchebag! If I, as an officer, were to respond to that simple battery complaint, I'd probably find a summons to be the appropriate course of action. Wouldn't want bail to put a financial restriction on anyone's Christmas dinner.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I always taught my kids that there was no santa, it was just a make believe story, a fair tale. Jesus is the reason we celebrate Christmas.
    But I also taught them to be respectful to others, and not go telling kids at school that santa wasn't real.

But I guess some folks just can't be nice and respectful to other people.

Christmas doesn't celebrate Jesus birthday like you think it does.

. Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.
    B. The ancient Greek writer poet and historian Lucian (in his dialogue entitled Saturnalia) describes the festival’s observance in his time. In addition to human sacrifice, he mentions these customs: widespread intoxication; going from house to house while singing naked; rape and other sexual license; and consuming human-shaped biscuits (still produced in some English and most German bakeries during the Christmas season).
    C. In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.[2]
    D. The problem was that there was nothing intrinsically Christian about Saturnalia. To remedy this, these Christian leaders named Saturnalia’s concluding day, December 25th, to be Jesus’ birthday.
    E. Christians had little success, however, refining the practices of Saturnalia. As Stephen Nissenbaum, professor history at the University of Massachussetts, Amherst, writes, “In return for ensuring massive observance of the anniversary of the Savior’s birth by assigning it to this resonant date, the Church for its part tacitly agreed to allow the holiday to be celebrated more or less the way it had always been.” The earliest Christmas holidays were celebrated by drinking, sexual indulgence, singing naked in the streets (a precursor of modern caroling), etc.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You making this thread is the same as me telling Suburbazine he doesn't need a plate carrier. Be a Libertarian and let the guy do what he wants, right?

I fell out of my boat and dropped my guns somewhere out in the marsh. I rapidly found that I couldn't swim with the plate carrier so it joined the guns.

You wish, anyways.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Someone should go to his church and holla to everybody that Jesus is not real...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Was thinking the same thing.
    "Kids, I want you to know that Jesus is not real. The true reason for the Christmas season is the shameless promotion of consumerism."

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    What a jackass. Let them be children while they ARE children.

I'm of the opinion that Jesus Himself would NOT approve, because it only serves at this time to hurt these kids.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    What a jackass. Let them be children while they ARE children.

I'm of the opinion that Jesus Himself would NOT approve, because it only serves at this time to hurt these kids.

+1

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Christmas doesn't celebrate Jesus birthday like you think it does.

. Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose *an enemy of the Roman people* to represent the *Lord of Misrule.* Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.
    B. The ancient Greek writer poet and historian Lucian (in his dialogue entitled Saturnalia) describes the festival’s observance in his time. In addition to human sacrifice, he mentions these customs: widespread intoxication; going from house to house while singing naked; rape and other sexual license; and consuming human-shaped biscuits (still produced in some English and most German bakeries during the Christmas season).
    C. In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.[2]
    D. The problem was that there was nothing intrinsically Christian about Saturnalia. To remedy this, these Christian leaders named Saturnalia’s concluding day, December 25th, to be Jesus’ birthday.
    E. Christians had little success, however, refining the practices of Saturnalia. As Stephen Nissenbaum, professor history at the University of Massachussetts, Amherst, writes, *In return for ensuring massive observance of the anniversary of the Savior’s birth by assigning it to this resonant date, the Church for its part tacitly agreed to allow the holiday to be celebrated more or less the way it had always been.* The earliest Christmas holidays were celebrated by drinking, sexual indulgence, singing naked in the streets (a precursor of modern caroling), etc.

Let's start with some basic reading comprehension. I said "Jesus is the reason WE celebrate Christmas." You may celebrate other things on Christmas, and that's fine.

Just to be clear, Christmas or Christ Mass (the mass of Christ), is the celebration of the birth of Christ. It was started as such and still remains that today. Now I know that December 25 was most likely not the date of the birth of Christ, shepherds probably wouldn't be out with the flock in winter, and Christians co-oped the time of other pagan holidays after many pagans converted to Christianity. I also know that Sunday is not the actual Sabbath, but it is the day we choose to celebrate the Sabbath. And that's fine too.
    I also know the over time Christmas has become over commercialized into what we have today, but as for me and my house, Jesus is the reason for the season.

Also note the Saturnalia was originally celebrated on December 17. Winter solstice was celebrated on December 25. Saturnalia was usually celebrated over 7 days, ending on December 23. (whoever wrote the article you quoted needs to work on their math skills) At one point is was shortened to 3 days, them changed to 5 days, then back to 7. It seems they couldn't decide exactly when or for how long they wanted to celebrate. http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/calendar/saturnalia.html

True Christians have never celebrated Christmas by drinking, sexual indulgence, rape, or singing naked in the streets, because when we are Christ like we don't do those things. But should you choose to celebrate Saturnalia like that, go ahead, but if someone comes around my house looking to rape my family they will be shot. If they come drunk singing naked to may house they will be arrested. If your neighbors are ok with you singing naked in their yard, go for it and have a blast.

Yes, many of the traditions that we associate with Christmas were taken from pagan traditions in many different parts of the world. And over the years many religious followers of some form of Christian based religions, who were not true Christians, have take this season to celebrate in ways that are not conducive to a Christian life style.
    But Jesus is still the reason we celebrate Christmas at my house.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    And over the years many religious followers of some form of Christian based religions, who were not true Christians, have take this season to celebrate in ways that are not conducive to a Christian life style.

True Christians? There are many denominations of Christianity. It is not for you to decide if people of another denomination are not "true Christians."

But Jesus is still the reason we celebrate Christmas at my house.

That is all you had to say.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    The reason for the season at your house may in fact be Jesus. That doesn't change the fact that you (unless you don't celebrate Christmas in any "traditional" way) use pagan traditions to celebrate his birth. At the end of the day Im not sure what that does for you. ::shrug::

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    . At the end of the day Im not sure what that does for you. ::shrug::

At a minimum it allows for the continued opportunity to proselytize his Christian Faith (during this time of year). Thereby effectively using a pagan holiday to further the Christian Faith.

Last edited:

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    At a minimum it allows for the continued opportunity to proselytize his Christian Faith (during this time of year). Thereby effectively using a pagan holiday to further the Christian Faith.

What other un-Christian things are we allowed to do/use to promote Christianity?

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I'm not sure substituting a Christian holiday in the place of a pagan one is un-Christian.

Its not that simple. All the symbology that we accept and love about Christmas is a direct picture and representation of pagan gods, worship of those gods, and sacrifices (sometimes human) to those gods. I grew up Christian, I celebrate Christmas, so don't feel like Im busting your balls for the sake of busting, Im generally interested how other people process it. Do you just ignore its origins or don't care?

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Its not that simple. All the symbology that we accept and love about Christmas is a direct picture and representation of pagan gods, worship of those gods, and sacrifices (sometimes human) to those gods.

Please elaborate on each point above so I can make sure I understand the details.

I grew up Christian, I celebrate Christmas, so don't feel like Im busting your balls for the sake of busting, Im generally interested how other people process it. Do you just ignore its origins or don't care?

A bit of both I suppose. I've looked into some of the origins a long time ago which some others mentioned here, and never really cared I guess...I instead focused on how we (my family) did things now.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    A bit of both I suppose. I've looked into some of the origins a long time ago which some others mentioned here, and never really cared I guess...I instead focused on how we (my family) did things now.

Eluding to facts and ignoring unpleasant things is human nature. Im not beating you up for it, just puts you in line with the average American voter. lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom