1911 recoil spring,ordering

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbolemiss

Rebel Fan
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    New Iberia,LA
    I have a Sprinfield 1911 loaded 45acp model that I'm wanting to change the recoil spring out with a wolf spring,Looks like factory is 16 lbs.

Chrome Silicone Material or not?

I'm not having any problems with the gun,should I try to go up or down on the lbs of the springs or just stay factory.

Anybody with more 1911 experience that can enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

by the way any site sponcors sell these?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm not having any problems with the gun

Then why mess with it? Wolf springs are good, and I'd recommend using them when it's time to replace the springs. Use the factory spring weight, and replace the firing pin spring at the same time.

And sorry Saftman, but STAY AWAY from the buffers. They're pointless, and I've personally had one come apart in my gun and cause malfunctions. Spent 5 minutes trying to dig out all the little pieces of fancy blue rubber. Luckily this was at the range and not on the street when it mattered.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I use 11-12 lb spring in all 3 of my 1911 competition guns without buffs. Over 30,000 k rounds through each one and no damage. I have used to Chrome Silicone, did not see any difference. One thing that is very noticable is the reduction of muzzle flip using the lighter spring and this helps me get back on target faster.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I had bought the gun used and figure for the price of the spring,It cant hurt the gun nor the wallet.

any info on the Chrome Silicone ones?

In that case you're right, it couldn't hurt. And Wolff is definitely the way to go. As for the CS, I have no idea, but don't really see the benefit. Even Wolff's description sounds like they're not really convinced it's better and only made them because the "other guys" make them, so customers wanted them.

And again, I'd replace the firing pin spring at the same time. Both factory weight.

BTW, which model loaded did you get? I've *almost* bought a Black Stainless or MC Operator on several occasions. :D

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Toddrod is right about the recoil impulse difference. Unless you hand load your ammo, I'd stay with the 16lb spring. I have found the CS springs to wear faster than standard. Wolff makes a variable rate spring (green packaging) and a constant rate (red packaging). Buy one of each and see what feels and works better for you. I like the variables.

dbolemiss

Rebel Fan
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    New Iberia,LA
    I've had it for a while now and picked up a Kimber Pro carry 2 from another member last week.Thought while ordering springs,might as well get a couple for both of them at one time.
    donniespics006.jpg

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    You would probably be better off using a spring buffer than changing a spring.

Spring buffers are nothing but a solution looking for a problem. They usually cause problems and if they don't eventually they will. They will get chewed up and fall to pieces inside the gun eventually.

I had bought the gun used and figure for the price of the spring,It cant hurt the gun nor the wallet.

any info on the Chrome Silicone ones?

Just get regular springs. The chrome silicone springs don't do anything special. Stick with the factory weight unless you are testing hand loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom