The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • number1roadie19

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Depends on how much your wanting to spend. If you want a more budget friendly look at a TISAS or RIA. Just about any 1911A1 is the same except for Kimber. There are so many out there and it comes down to the "extras" they add on to it. Its hard to make a perfect gun bad IMO.

NickSim225

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2022
    Denham Springs, LA, 70706
    Depends on how much your wanting to spend. If you want a more budget friendly look at a TISAS or RIA. Just about any 1911A1 is the same except for Kimber. There are so many out there and it comes down to the "extras" they add on to it. Its hard to make a perfect gun bad IMO.
    yeah definitely don’t want to spend more than 1000

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    You can get any number of different 1911's

Mass Produced:
    No hand fitting.

Rock Island Armory, Tisas, Iver Johnson, and many others.
    I have had a RIA for many years. It's got tens of thousands of rounds through it. Put a Bomar Sight rib on top and use it to shoot bowling pins. Reliable and accurate.
    I have an Iver Johnson. Not nearly as many rounds thruit. Works great. Has interesting oversized controls.

Mass Produced:
    Some hand fitting

This niche belongs to Kimber for the most part. Sig is in this category too.
    I've both a Kimber and a Sig. Both good guns.

The rest are out of my price range, but , . . .

Semi Custom Guns:

Dan Wesson, Wilson Combat Ed Brown, and countless others. These are assembly line guns with hand polishing and care taken in the finish.

Truly Custom Gun:

Yea, . . . , Probably not even if I won the lottery. Left handed, No problem. A gun made expressly for you. Want it to be 6.25", it can be done.

So you want the 'Best' of which category ?

It it's within your budget, for a first gun, I'd suggest a Sig 1911
    1911-stx.jpg

LouisianaJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Luling, Louisiana
    In 2005, I bought a Springfield Black Stainless 1911. The front sight was off center. It is in a dovetail but it also has a pin through it that keeps you from drifting it where it need to be. I sent the gun back to Springfield and receive it back in less than 2 weeks with the sight fixed. My point is that you are better off with a product with customer service this good. I still have it and it is a great shooter!

Springfield1911.JPG

I also have a 9mm Range Officer that is one of my favorites.

BIGGREEN

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    My first 1911 was an entry level Kimber. BE CAREFUL though...it can be addictive. I speak from experience after a couple of Les Baers, Wilsons, Wessons, Springers, Sigs and about a dozen Nighthawks...

oneshy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Houma La
    I have 6 in possession and sold 2 others. Rock Island is all you NEED. Best bang for the buck. You can get them from GI basic to all the bells and whistles from 600-1000.
    Excuse me, I have found a GI at Bud's for $439.
    I had to check availability. In stock. That's cash price. Retail $450. Free S&H.
    If going CCW, find a used Para Ordnance P12. Double stack 12 + 1, Commander size. My ex sister-in-law's favorite. It will be used, as they are no longer made.
    Looking @ some great deals on Gunbroker for a P12 and a P14 (14rd) full size @ an unbelievable price with 3d left. Makes me want to pull the trigger!! Guess I'll take mine to the range today.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Forget the Kimber, the Springfield, the Dan Wesson, the S&W, the Colt, and every other mid-tier 1911 on the market right now. For an entry-level 1911, I'd go with a Government sized gun from either Tisas or the Rock Island Armory. In fact, there's a used Tisas 1911 in the marketplace right now that you'd do well to scoop up.

For under about $1500, this is going to be the best bang for your buck.

(and note that I didn't say that it's better than the other guns I mentioned. I said that it's going to be the best value.)

With the money that you save, you'll enhance your enjoyment of this gun by purchasing some good range ammo and a good handgun training class. As tempting as it is to start accessorizing and tinkering with the 1911, the training and the practice is going to give you measurably tighter groups and faster splits. Just run the gun as it is, keep it clean and well oiled, and you'll outshoot almost everyone else at the range with guns costing several times more.

If you decide that you really love the 1911 platform and want to invest further, then I'd skip the mid-tier guns entirely and save your shekels for an entry level gun from one of the high end builders like Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Les Baer, or the like. You'll be in the $2K+ range at this point, and any of these could easily be the last 1911 that you'll ever need to purchase. But don't make this purchase now, since a year or two with a more basic gun will teach you a lot about what you're actually going to want in your high end rig.

Mike

PS - I have nothing against Springfield, Sig, S&W, Colt, Dan Wesson, etc. They all make fine guns. The gist of my argument is that they're not that much better than the Tisas or the RIA, and they won't confer any real advantage to a new shooter. I'd much rather see someone with a good basic gun and some solid training—they'll make consistently tighter groups and faster splits than the gear masturbators.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    My husband picked up a Tisas GI 1911 on a whim a few months ago, and have to say he was quite surprised and pleased at the fit of this particular one, was really close to a much higher dollar gun for smoothness, trigger pull & finish internally. No rough machining seen, tight lock up. We have Colts, Kimbers, Remington Rands, but the SDS is the one he most often grabs to shoot! Was $349 out the door!

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My husband picked up a Tisas GI 1911 on a whim a few months ago, and have to say he was quite surprised and pleased at the fit of this particular one, was really close to a much higher dollar gun for smoothness, trigger pull & finish internally. No rough machining seen, tight lock up. We have Colts, Kimbers, Remington Rands, but the SDS is the one he most often grabs to shoot! Was $349 out the door!
    Yup. Exactly.

Of my dozen 1911's, the two that get the most range time are my Nighthawk Trooper in 9mm (possibly the most well-rounded 1911 I've ever shot), and my Tisas in .45 ACP. The Tisas just works, and it's a gun I don't mind slamming into a holster, plunking down on the shooting bench, or putting general wear-and-tear on.

Mike

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    After a couple of decades since unloading my last 1911, and before finding this thread, I decided this past week to pick up a VERY well-kept Ruger SR1911 from a familiar & fellow Bayou Shooter. Any reason the Ruger variant was NOT mentioned so far in this thread? Did I choose poorly? MEANWHILE- Having handled and shot a few of the Turkish made pistol clones in 9mm already, I suspect I'd buy the Tisas 1911 if purchasing something new in the entry level. For the price, it is hard these days to match the fit and finish at the price point.

Killacajun87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2022
    Walker,LA
    Looking to get a 1911 but don’t know which one. I’ve always liked the way the 1911 looked though. Anyone have suggestions on best make ? I was leaning towards a Springfield or a colt. Thanks
    I have a sig 1911 45 it’s a really nice handgun for the price 1250 I’d recommend it to anyone.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    After a couple of decades since unloading my last 1911, and before finding this thread, I decided this past week to pick up a VERY well-kept Ruger SR1911 from a familiar & fellow Bayou Shooter. Any reason the Ruger variant was NOT mentioned so far in this thread? Did I choose poorly? MEANWHILE- Having handled and shot a few of the Turkish made pistol clones in 9mm already, I suspect I'd buy the Tisas 1911 if purchasing something new in the entry level. For the price, it is hard these days to match the fit and finish at the price point.
    Ruger makes an excellent 1911. I've shot a few, but I don't have round counts of more than maybe fifty or a hundred rounds through them, so I can't speak to their longevity and such.

Quality, fit, and finish were typical for Ruger, which is generally excellent.

But, I still question the value of a thousand dollar Ruger over a four hundred dollar Tisas or RIA.

Mike

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Thankfully I found my SR1911 for less than that $1,000 benchmark, and from somebody I've dealt with before right here. And I really appreciate the feedback, although I pretty much know a well made pistol by now after a half century of owning and handling just about all of them. Wasdn't sure if there was something I was missing when nobody mentioned the Ruger 1911 pistols in the thread.

Last edited:

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Spend some time doing research on the different safeties, I've had issues with a kimber safety. Otherwise the gun functioned well. I think their reputation is a bit overblown from older guns series that were better products.

For custom work volkmann precision is a pretty good value.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Sax, my cousin owns one. According to him it’s the best 1911 for under or around 1k. I don’t think it gets mentioned as much in the budget 1911 conversation because it’s more of a mid tier option. Also for most people spending $900-$1,000 for a gun isn’t “budget”

Also with owning a Ruger is the piece of mind knowing Ruger customer service is outstanding. Original owner or not they will surely address any potential issues you might come across. I think Ruger might have the best customer service period out of any firearm manufacturer.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gautreaux
    Top Bottom