2016 Fitness Goals

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Thanks for the info, guys. I may join the Y near where I'm working and get with a trainer, but for now, I'm gonna stay where I'm at and check out the youtube channels suggested.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    30 days in and lost 6lb. Another month and I'll be at my target weight.

Time to start thinking about a gym. A bit of everything. Cardio, strength, and flexibility training. Through my workplace I can join a couple ones very close to the house for $25 a month.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I'm on week4 day2 of one of those 10k trainer apps on Jan6 I was 282lbs and I'm down to 269lbs today. Also I haven't went full crazy diet but have been controlling portions.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I gym shopped for a while and finally decided on one due to equipment, location, price and they let me pay up front. Most want to autodraft an account. Before I could sign up they sold their memberships to another gym that I didn't really want to join or at least that is the story I heard. I need to go check what the deal is.

I really hate the autodrafts and don't want to do that. A lot of the crossfit places will do a cycle and not a full year. I just have a natural distrust of the fitness industry in general.

Last edited:

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Check with your health insurance provider.

Sometimes they will either pay straight up or reimburse gym memberships.

playboyoncrack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2015
    New Orleans
    I hope everyone will be successful in achieving their Fitness Goals for 2016. Four years ago, I was at my heaviest weight 240lb @5'9" while recovering from my 1st knee surgery (total reconstructive). My knee rehab was slow and behind scheduled due to me being out of shape. So that is when I decided to that I needed to make a healthy lifestyle change. It wasn't easy and but I was very determined that I had to accomplished this feat/goal. So, after 90 days I was able to lose 59lbs. I know results varies from person to person. But I want to share with you all, what I think was really helpful to me during these 3 months. First, I gave up drinking beer/alcohol completely during this time. Second, I used the myfitnesspal (pre-under armor, UA kinda ruined the app but it is still very useful). Third, got a food scale. Fourth, I followed this Kris Gethin workout program http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html . If you guys have any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them or help.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Been in the gym the last 4 months.
    Dropped 73 lbs.
    I'm not squatting as much as I used to. - No **** at 15 years old, I used to do 400 a few times.
    Damn I miss those days, not really. 2 a days up early and home late.

Fellow members that's been through that???

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I was sick two weeks ago, so I deloaded my lifting weight by 15%. I was still struggling last night. The weird thing is that I would struggle on one set, then be fine on the next set, then struggle again.

EDIT: I just wanted to update this by saying that last night's workout was much better. I'm a little sore today but I didn't struggle as much as I did last week.

Last edited:

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    new goals is to be under 300lbs this year was at 380 last year. down to 328lbs most mornings this month. no gym for me. just walking and dumb bells. had back worked on last OCT only up to walking .25miles at this time hope to be up 3 miles by Dec.

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    Want to get down to 200 lbs. Currently 236. Also want to deadlift 600, bench 405, and squat 405 (have bad knees). Current lifts are 545,365 and 365.

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    Dang. That's a huge deadlift to squat ratio.

Yeah I know. I have bad knees. I can warmup for forever and they are cracking throughout the whole movement of squatting, even without any weight. I go atg whenever I squat. And my knees are always sore the next day after I squat.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    What are some areas that I can work on to improve my overhead press? Should I concentrate on core exercises, biceps, or triceps? Regardless, the overhead press is the one exercise where I progress the slowest when it comes to adding weight.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    What are some areas that I can work on to improve my overhead press? Should I concentrate on core exercises, biceps, or triceps? Regardless, the overhead press is the one exercise where I progress the slowest when it comes to adding weight.
    EVERYONE progresses slower at ohp. To get better at something, do more of it.

Find a decent progressively increasing program. Maybe 531.

I'm on my last day of smolov jr for back squats. It's only a 3 week cycle but I certainly feel a lot stronger. My working weights this week are up 20lbs from week 1 and they feel easier so far.

Last edited:

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    As spanky has said, do more of it. Get your form down, and progress will follow. You can always do more raises (front, side, rear) to assist in movement. Core as well, but I wear a belt for my heavier sets. It helps a lot, also squeezing your glutes. I recently started ohp for about 2 months. Started at 95 and I can currently do 185 for 4-5 reps. I was just not familiar with the movement but had the strength to do it. Good luck.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    After oral surgery in June, I hit a wall and even had to de-load. Now that I am getting used to a diet with two missing teeth, I started to add weight to the bar again. Hopefully, the titanium is fused with bone in time for Christmas so I can have my crowns put in place of the missing teeth. I wanted to do a cut cycle right now, but the common consensus from both my wellness doctor and oral surgeron was that it was more important for me to heal from surgery for three to four months than to drop fat right now.

I'm hoping to deadlift and squat my body weight just in time for the holidays. I'm currently at 242 pounds, and I hit 195 for 5x5 on Squat last night. My last deadlift was 205 for 5 reps. I'm still progressing slow on the bench press and overhead press, but at least I am progressing!

Top Bottom