2018 F250 6.2 V8 Noise

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If I got to replace the motor this will be the last Ford I ever own. This is my fifth Ford vehicle in my life and I'm recently coming from a GMC that I got in a wreck with and found this truck from a family member as a great deal. I swore I was never going to go back to Ford because I have had nothing but problems with all of the Fords I've owned and that GMC truck had zero problems. Could have just been luck with the GMC I don't know. I don't want to get in the tit for tat about GMC versus Ford but from the one GMC that I owned, I had none of the problems that I had with my Fords.
    **** man if you start researching truck reliability you’ll end up riding a horse. Any of them can and will break down at any given second.
    A coworker just bought a GMC Denali. Kept talking **** about my ford transmission. Enlightening him to the fact that we have the same transmission was funny.

Xeon64

Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    **** man if you start researching truck reliability you’ll end up riding a horse. Any of them can and will break down at any given second.
    A coworker just bought a GMC Denali. Kept talking **** about my ford transmission. Enlightening him to the fact that we have the same transmission was funny.
    Horse would be a lot cheaper and a nice companion these days.

Scrape

Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2024
    French Settlement
    Not sure on the 6.2 noises. My 7.3 diesel rattles so much it has no other noises to hear.. I have a 07 expedition with 5.4 that gave me 398k with no real issues until the timing chatter began. Quite rare.
    My 2019 expedition with 3.5 started the dreaded cam phaser rattle on cold startup at 59,840 miles, standard Ford powertrain warranty good to 60k. Ford stealership tried talking me into bringing the thing in a week or so later for warranty work.
    I said nope, I’ll park it there tonight so I don’t run over the 60k and have to fool with an extended warranty BS. Dropped it off with key in my pocket. I met them at opening the next morning to have the tech with me to hear it on cold start so they could not deny the obvious rattle.

Lord I miss points, condenser, coil and carbed motors

Xeon64

Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Another video of the noise. It is coming from this area under the truck. Only does it after it has warmed up and run for a while.

I am starting to think water pump or possibly timing chain. Truck seems to run fine. Just makes this noise. It has been doing it for a long time just seems to be getting worse.

Abby Normal

Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Horse would be a lot cheaper and a nice companion these days.
    Don’t forget the flies & compost.

I love the simplicity of carb engines but the reliability of my work van is hard to beat.
    Do the utune posters say what the cause of their noise was or do they still have it?

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Another video of the noise. It is coming from this area under the truck. Only does it after it has warmed up and run for a while.

I am starting to think water pump or possibly timing chain. Truck seems to run fine. Just makes this noise. It has been doing it for a long time just seems to be getting worse.

Join Reddit and post that there. Someone will know probably.

Scrape

Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2024
    French Settlement
    Pull your belt off to tell if it’s an internal or external noise like water pump, tensioner pulley, alternator or the like.
    I had a tensioner pulley sound like heck, thought it was the water pump.
    With the belt off you can sometimes spin the various items run off the belt for resistance or noise.

Xeon64

Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Pull your belt off to tell if it’s an internal or external noise like water pump, tensioner pulley, alternator or the like.
    I had a tensioner pulley sound like heck, thought it was the water pump.
    With the belt off you can sometimes spin the various items run off the belt for resistance or noise.
    I plan on trying that.

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    your original post says you know it's not the intake and you probably researched the noise pretty well before posting but his noise and yours sound like 1st cousins, at least. Like others have said, start and idle so you know the clacking sound is obvious then remove the serpentine belt and idle. Still there? (probably) Grab your 3ft wooden dowel bout the size of your pinky finger (Lord, don't use a hose or a screwdriver) and place one end tight to your ear hole and then start touching the other end to known noise makers -intake banks, valve covers, exhaust manifolds, timing chain covers. (Keep the dumb end away from spinning things!)
    You don't have long because there's no engine cooling with the belt removed -the condition is going to reveal itself quickly.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom