.350 legend for Louisiana deer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Don’t concern yourself with the term “flat” shooter as everything drops. No matter the caliber. Focus on effective energy at the distances you’re wanting to hunt. 170gr 350 Legend is a hammer at 200 yards all day.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    400 yards with a 300wsm?! Cutting yourself little shirt huh?! Lol

I’ve killed deer at 223yrds with 300 blackout.
    My longest with the 300wsm was a cow elk in CO at 525 yards. (I was a tad younger then) Of course, I felt much older haulin her out!

I was not saying, that the ranges I stated were absolute. Just that I limit myself as the deer are big and heavy and I want to harvest them cleanly with a good shot. I would take a longer shot at hogs then I would at deer because if the hog runs off and dies, it still is one less mouth feeding on the crops. Deer are respected more by me. But my point was that Louisiana deer may be lightweights in the marsh, but they are heavy weights in parts of the state like in Northeast Louisiana.

I have not obtained a rifle that qualifies as a primitive rifle in Louisiana, I only shoot reloads and I have limited my hobby to 3 pistol and 4 rifle cartridges. If I added a rifle that qualifies as primitive, I would have to add another caliber and find components to stuff it with. I would rather not. Hope the OP much success with his new caliber!

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    My longest with the 300wsm was a cow elk in CO at 525 yards. (I was a tad younger then) Of course, I felt much older haulin her out!

I was not saying, that the ranges I stated were absolute. Just that I limit myself as the deer are big and heavy and I want to harvest them cleanly with a good shot. I would take a longer shot at hogs then I would at deer because if the hog runs off and dies, it still is one less mouth feeding on the crops. Deer are respected more by me. But my point was that Louisiana deer may be lightweights in the marsh, but they are heavy weights in parts of the state like in Northeast Louisiana.

I have not obtained a rifle that qualifies as a primitive rifle in Louisiana, I only shoot reloads and I have limited my hobby to 3 pistol and 4 rifle cartridges. If I added a rifle that qualifies as primitive, I would have to add another caliber and find components to stuff it with. I would rather not. Hope the OP much success with his new caliber!
    Valid explanations of your statements and well respected by me.

I load the 350 Legend for my son because it’s a perfect caliber for the woods & is super cheap to load! I also load 35 Whelen for some friends of mine and that would be my preference for primitive hunting. Also enjoy loading 7mm-08 as well as .308

I load 2 handgun calibers & 5 rifle cartridges and that’s plenty.

sarky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    If you are only shooting out to 200 yards, the 350 Legend is fine. So the question is, is your hunting range limited to 200 yards? If it isn't you might want to look at another cartridge.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    Valid explanations of your statements and well respected by me.

I load the 350 Legend for my son because it’s a perfect caliber for the woods & is super cheap to load! I also load 35 Whelen for some friends of mine and that would be my preference for primitive hunting. Also enjoy loading 7mm-08 as well as .308

I load 2 handgun calibers & 5 rifle cartridges and that’s plenty.
    What about the 35 Whelen would be "primative" If my memory serves me correctly , it is simply a 30-06 necked up to .35 caliber.

Wonder why no one mentions the old .35 Remington, it appears to be a little faster than the .350 Legend.

My understanding is that the Legend was a .223/5.56 case necked up to .35 for use in AR 15 actions, and to comply with allowing use of straight walled case cartridges in some of the northern states areas that only allow straight walled rifle cases or shotguns.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    What about the 35 Whelen would be "primative" If my memory serves me correctly , it is simply a 30-06 necked up to .35 caliber.

Wonder why no one mentions the old .35 Remington, it appears to be a little faster than the .350 Legend.

My understanding is that the Legend was a .223/5.56 case necked up to .35 for use in AR 15 actions, and to comply with allowing use of straight walled case cartridges in some of the northern states areas that only allow straight walled rifle cases or shotguns.
    What about the 444 would be primitive? It's more about the gun to be primitive. The round just has to be 35 caliber or higher.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Any .35cal and up in a single shot rifle with a hammer is legal for primitive season. 35 Remington is an excellent round but not many single shots chambered for it.
    And the last few years unless you handload 35remington rifles are paperweights as ammo is impossible to find.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA

I don’t make the rules buddy…. Just giving my opinion.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA

35 Rem is a turd and very hard
    To find ammo for. Not so much with 350 Legend.

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    350 legend fine for deer and easy to handload . but if your looking for one gun to do alot the 35 whelen will feel the spot . up close to long range . small deer up to anything in north america. really popular since primitive hunting rules changed in la . since we live in the good old usa i own both

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    35 Rem is a turd and very hard
    To find ammo for. Not so much with 350 Legend.

Agree ammo is not that readily available any longer, but it is out there. I have my fathers old Marlin 336SC in 35 Rem he bought back about 1952, and I purchased a good quantity of brass so no problem for me. Just doing a google search comparing the two, everything shows the 35Rem with about 8% more energy than the 350 Legend, so thanks for your comment but I shall stick with the old tried and true 35 Rem.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Agree ammo is not that readily available any longer, but it is out there. I have my fathers old Marlin 336SC in 35 Rem he bought back about 1952, and I purchased a good quantity of brass so no problem for me. Just doing a google search comparing the two, everything shows the 35Rem with about 8% more energy than the 350 Legend, so thanks for your comment but I shall stick with the old tried and true 35 Rem.
    Nothing wrong with 35 Rem but it’s harder to find than 35 Whelen. I have plenty of brass for 35 Whelen so no biggie.

Top Bottom