5th Circuit says firearm prohibition because of domestic violence restraining order not valid.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    texas ruling.JPG

Curious to watch this one and see what it does to the 'red flag' laws.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Are they trying to change the law to allow persons under a restraining order to possess a firearm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Are they trying to change the law to allow persons under a restraining order to possess a firearm?

They're saying that a person accused of a crime doesn't lose their fundamental rights based only on an accusation. It's that pesky "innocent until proven guilty" thing some people are always spouting off about.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    They're saying that a person accused of a crime doesn't lose their fundamental rights based only on an accusation. It's that pesky "innocent until proven guilty" thing some people are always spouting off about.

I believe BR issues an automatic protective order if you are arrested for domestic violence and I’m perfectly fine with that.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    that ruling applies to just Federal law, not state law. If the LA judge imposed a firearm prohibition under state law, it still exits.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I believe BR issues an automatic protective order if you are arrested for domestic violence and I’m perfectly fine with that.

The issue lies a lot of times with divorces. It’s pretty common practice for a lawyer to tell his client to get a restraining order on the other party. This can happen regardless if the couple was violent in any way and without the other parties knowledge of it happening. It would be pretty crappy to find out your wife’s cheating on you so you file for divorce only to later find out you also just lost your gun rights because she has a restraining order on you because her lawyer advised her to do so.

This is a huge win for anyone who supports the 2nd amendment and freedom in general. It takes away they governments ability to strip anyone’s rights without due process.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    The issue lies a lot of times with divorces. It’s pretty common practice for a lawyer to tell his client to get a restraining order on the other party. This can happen regardless if the couple was violent in any way and without the other parties knowledge of it happening. It would be pretty crappy to find out your wife’s cheating on you so you file for divorce only to later find out you also just lost your gun rights because she has a restraining order on you because her lawyer advised her to do so.

This is a huge win for anyone who supports the 2nd amendment and freedom in general. It takes away they governments ability to strip anyone’s rights without due process.

I get that scenario and agree with you.

Top Bottom