A question about rod/reel set up

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Okay guys,

I don't know crap about fishing. My wife and I just moved to Houston and we live on the Galveston Bay. So she wants a set up to do some fishing off the pier (no boat yet but she's nagging). What do you guys recommend? I'm hoping for something cheap. Preferably from Wally World.

Thanks

Toby

bah
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2007
    CocoDrie Ferry
    You'll be able to find tons of combination packages at WW. Cheap, but will do the job you want to do for right now. As the time passes, you'll be able to determine what fits your need a little better.

Off the pier @ Galveston, (imo) you'll need a medium heavy rod w/ a decent sized reel. You can catch some damned good sized redfish at night off the piers, so 15-20lb test would be a good choice of line.

Good luck on the fishing, and enjoy your location..Galveston is a good spot.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've always done best on live bait. Walk around on the pier and spend some time talking to people and watch what they are catching. There's usually a bunch of people that come out every few months and catch a couple, then there's a few guys who fish there a few times a week at the same time. They go home w/ a load of nice fish. Get to know them... If they're not friendly then just quietly watch, some people don't like to talk when they're fishing. Look at what they're using, how many sinkers, what kind of float, where they're set up in relation to the hook, etc. Try to copy theirs....
    Reels don't matter all that much. Most of the name brands will do the job. Rods are important. I always look for rods with a stiff end. Look for one that the last 18" is less flexible than most of the rods in the rack. This will let you set the hook quicker when you get a bite, and gives you a little more control for landings. I also tend to put heavier line than most people suggest. I don't like hooking fish and letting them get away! Some fish will head for structure (like your pier) and try to cut the line. 15 pound is good for redfish and trout. I never go under 12 for salt. Grand Isle I usually use 18-20 pound, so I'd guess this would be the same as Galveston.
    Post pictures when you catch some!

PS I've got a distant cousin down there that is big into benchrest shooting. His name's Herman and he used to be a brewmaster for Dixie Beer. Let me know if you meet him.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    and i'm a newly converted and very happy baitcaster fan

but i started on and used spincast forever and never have really tried spinning reels although i've been wanting to pick up a r&r to try out.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    and i'm a newly converted and very happy baitcaster fan

but i started on and used spincast forever and never have really tried spinning reels although i've been wanting to pick up a r&r to try out.

you need to get off the weekend work schedule so we can go catch some fish

How high is the pier from the water level? If you are going to have to pull the wieght of a fish a substantial distance (w/o a net) you will need a med hvy or hvy rod, and some good (strong) line. downside is sensitivity to strikes.
    Penn reels are top notch, but I dont have any experience with the rod/reel combos from the big box stores. Shimano also has a cult following for saltwater fishing, and make some super smooth,strong reels. I would recommend a spinning reel as it is a heck of a lot easier to fish with, especially in windy conditions.

Last edited:

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Thanks for the info guys. We've walked down by some of the locals and looked at their setup and it was foreign to my wife. She's use to one hook and a bober. Everyone had two hooks ect.

Top Bottom