Academy-Black Friday

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snookie

*Banned*
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Just a note to say I went by Academy on Airline Hwy BR today hoping I could at least look at the Taurus PT101 40 calibur revolver they are going to feature this Friday for $299.00 But NA?NA

At first the guy behind the counter looked at me like I was Little Richard or something. Then when he finally knew what I was talking about he said they must be all in the back in the safe they won't give them to us till Friday!

I then asked how do you expect me to buy a gun I have never seen or touched except in a sales flyer I get 4 hours after you open on Friday; the respose was something like "that's just how we do it"!

I walked out with NO INTENTION of going back and had hoped to purchase two guns from them. I must say I was helped by the AMMO ANGEL at the Seigen store but this was a dissapointment.

Anyway, now that I got that off my chest maybe I'll stay sober tonight.

Is that the experence everyone else has gotten from Academy lately?

mprice

Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Academy is a business that is a machine that prints money... In any exchange with Academy, the money travels to them and there is, essentially, no service.

I recently had to send a pistol I bought new at Academy back to the manufacturer. They told me to mail it myself or take it to a gunstore. The Academy purchase agreement states: Academy will assist with return of items to manufacturer - they did dick. I plan on dealing with my local gunstore in the future and will only buy expendable items at Academy now that I know how little they care for customer loyalty.

lurkerwisp

Mar 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    A friend of ours was told that it was "state law" that Academy couldn't sell her a .22LR rifle with her out of state driver's license. It very nearly broke her heart.

The very next day Cabella's confirmed that they could, in fact, legally sell her the very same gun and would be more than happy to sight in the scope on her other rifle for free. Turns out that the only real reason to go to Acadmey at all is their low price on 7.62x39, which was out of stock.

Kajanone

Dec 20, 2009
    It seems like they didn't sell as many as they wanted on Black Friday. They ran them on sale from Dec. 16-19th again. I picked one up in Lafayette on the 18th. It came with two 16 round magazines...something Taurus doesn't catalog in .40 S&W. The pistol appears to be very well made, fit and finish are excellent. I did have to sign an Academy waiver that states "all firearm sales are final, the only warranty is from the manufacturer". My understanding is that in 1974 the Brazilian government awarded Beretta their service pistol contract with the requirement that the handguns be manufactured in Brazil. From 1974-1980, Beretta made the 9mms in Brazil. At the end of the contract, they sold the complete factory to Taurus. Taurus has made some improvements, i.e., moving the safety to the frame instead of the slide. The pistol being sold by Academy does not have the decocker, but it does have adjustable sights. For $299 plus tax, I think it was a good deal.

jemayeux

Sep 26, 2009
    Beaumont, TX
    Academy is a business that is a machine that prints money... In any exchange with Academy, the money travels to them and there is, essentially, no service.

I recently had to send a pistol I bought new at Academy back to the manufacturer. They told me to mail it myself or take it to a gunstore. The Academy purchase agreement states: Academy will assist with return of items to manufacturer - they did dick. I plan on dealing with my local gunstore in the future and will only buy expendable items at Academy now that I know how little they care for customer loyalty.

I agree, Academy's service is $HIT. They put some "foreign" lady behind the gun counter at the Slidell location a while back. I went in to purchase a 12 gauge with a slug barrel - she fired off at me saying this does not exist - I fired back "I not asking your opinion, I am asking if you have one in stock!" Lady was a B*TCH.

The rest of the workers attitude in the gun department is $hit. I used to visit just to pick up rifle ammo and not even vist the gun counter and frequently hear the moans and groans of the workers when other customers would ask to look at more then one firearm.

I don't go to academy anymore!

Last edited:

Snookie

*Banned*
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Like Wal-Mart

I agree, Academy's service is $HIT. They put some "foreign" lady behind the gun counter at the Slidell location a while back. I went in to purchase a 12 gauge with a slug barrel - she fired off at me saying this does not exist - I fired back "I not asking your opinion, I am asking if you have one in stock!" Lady was a B*TCH.

The rest of the workers attitude in the gun department is $hit. I used to visit just to pick up rifle ammo and not even vist the gun counter and frequently hear the moans and groans of the workers when other customers would ask to look at more then one firearm.

I don't go to academy anymore!

I agree the CORPORATE POLICY toward SERVICE SUCKS however I do know a few folks who work there that care! One of which is a member here and works at Academy on Siegen Lane Baton Rouge,

Like Wal-Screw World if you dont happen to know what your looking for your SOL

Good folks that work for places like that suffer but I appeciate them.

BUT YOUR RIGHT ACADEMY AS A WHOLE SUCKS!:mad:

Last edited:

RNshooter

Jan 3, 2010
    Slidell, LA
    Al the stores I've been to are all S_ _ _! I've bought a gun from them over X-mas in Slidell. They all seem to pride themselves on indifferent service- kinda like our government, full of meaningless policies and willy-nilly adherence to their policies.

Cabellas is a much better store, but you have to catch them on a sale- gee, their overhead! Get rid of the fish tanks, please- I know what a catfish looks like; I don't want to look at them, just catch and eat them!

Oh by the way, they had Lellier & Bellot 9mm police, 124gr ball ammo for sale at $11.99box of fifty. Ad said 25% of regular price, but actually 20%- ad misprint of regular price ($15.99)? or sales smoke & mirrors trick? Also, the ammo was not on display. I had to pull a ticket, and ask. Turns out the ammo was behind the counter.

And the PT101 IS a Beretta copy. Owning a 92fs and on the Beretta forum frequently, the word (puffery) is that the Taurus version is a worthy gun and a value, especially at $299. There is, I would believe, worthy evals from Gun & Ammo writers and the like of the gun on the Internet.

jemayeux

Sep 26, 2009
    Beaumont, TX
    I agree the CORPORATE POLICY toward SERVICE SUCKS however I do know a few folks who work there that care! One of which is a member here and works at Academy on Siegen Lane Baton Rouge,

Like Wal-Screw World if you dont happen to know what your looking for your SOL

Good folks that work for places like that suffer but I appeciate them.

BUT YOUR RIGHT ACADEMY AS A WHOLE SUCKS!:mad:

I understand, I work in a hospital - Emotions run high and outcomes are not always the best. One person pisses them off and the whole hospital is now a oversized bucket of $**T.

Here is the difference, if I show up with an "Academy attitude and work ethic", my patient doen't like my attitude or god forbid suffers while under my care -- you bet you A$$ I am going to get sewed and have to sit in front the board (Get my Lic. snatched away).

I go to Academy and get (what I have come to expect as the norm) the usual treatment. I go on bayou shooter and agree with someone else about there poor service.

I know not every person that works at Academy is a piece of $**T, but speaking in general, I have found negative attitudes are pretty consistent from - day to day.

If I was the member that worked for Academy I would look further into this and see if it is just one prick (me) that is pissed off or is their a general consenses. If so do some research, find a plan that works, check pre-plan customer satisfaction, impliment plan then check post-plan customer satisfaction.

When it is time to leave and look for another job, he now has an additional set of very attrictive skills and the documentation to back it up.

just my .02

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    i have had good service in lafayette i think the guy behind the counter was a leo. he was very knowledgeable about the guns he even still helped me after i told him i didnt want to buy anything and i was just looking. i plan on getting the lcr from academy

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    I was in the market for a Glock 23about 8 months ago and the Academy in Baton Rouge had the ban 10round Clip guns only.. I just kept on looking and found a 13 round Glock for the same price? Learned something, Shop around. Don't settle.

Hardballing

Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Local gun sellers are always a tad higher than the box chains. And always a better buy imo if you have a problem.

The exception to this imo, locally, is Cabela's. I have had EXCELLENT service there, they have a pretty liberal lay a way policy, and there are deals to be had from time to time.

Academy? Haven't bought anything from them, other than a tennis raquet for my grandson, in years. Ammo? Nope. Guns? Nope. Ever gonna? Don't think so.

Just my .02.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom