Act 629

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    I searched here and didn’t see any conversations related to it. So I don’t think it has been discussed. Looks like HB 602/Act 629 makes makes it legal to conceal carry in school zones and on college campuses. It was signed in the regular session of 2018. HB 602

I was researching about college campuses and this came up. So not sure if it applies, but what I was reading mentioned it was for both private and public school. I’ll have to go look it up again.

What it looks like is now, instead of only being able to (lawfully) conceal within a 1000’ of a school zone if you are on private property, anyone(who can lawfully conceal) can carry within that 1000’. Since the HB/Act doesn’t specifically mention college campuses, I’m gonna research that.

Is this already common knowledge? It is going on 4 years since it was signed into law. I just learned about it Saturday. I’ve done research within the last 4 years and don’t remember seeing anything other than not being able to carry at all within the 1000’.

Or am I just tripping?

Here’s the text from Act 629:

To amend and reenact R.S. 14:95.2(C)(4) and to enact R.S. 14:95.2(C)(9), relative to concealed handgun permits; to provide relative to the carrying of a concealed handgun within one thousand feet of school property; to provide an exception to the crime which prohibits the carrying of a firearm on school property by certain concealed handgun permit
    holders; and to provide for related matters. Be it enacted by the Legislature of Louisiana:
    Section 1. R.S. 14:95.2(C)(4) is hereby amended and reenacted and R.S. 14:95.2(C)(9) is hereby enacted to read as follows:
    §95.2. Carrying a firearm or dangerous weapon by a student or nonstudent on school property, at school-sponsored functions, or in a firearm-free zone
    C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:
    (4) The possession of a firearm occurring within one thousand feet of school
    property and entirely on private property, or entirely within a private residence, or in accordance with a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1 or 1379.3.

Page 1 of 2
    CODING: Words in struck through type are deletions from existing law; words underscored are additions.
    ENROLLED
    ACT No. 629
    2018 Regular Session
    HOUSE BILL NO. 602
    BY REPRESENTATIVE MIGUEZ AND SENATOR RISER

HB NO. 602 ENROLLED (9) Any person who has a valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1 or 1379.3 and who carries a concealed handgun within one thousand feet of any school campus.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    HB 556 in 2010 removed the 1000' zone around schools, but retained the prohibition against carrying on school property or school buses. (Link below)

I'm unaware of any laws allowing carry on school property, or college campus.

"Prohibits carrying a concealed handgun on any school, school property, or school bus and authorizes concealed handgun permit holders to carry a concealed handgun within 1,000 feet of school property."

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The 2010 law made it legal to conceal carry within 1,000' of a school with a CHP but not on school property. The 2018 law changed the language but not the law. It was argued by the author that his revision made it clearer. I drafted the 2010 law and didn't think the change was necessary. Since it didn't hurt anything, we supported it.

Top Bottom