anyone hunt with an AR? - crosspost

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    im strongly considering going ahead and building an AR instead of buying a bolt rifle and just using that to hunt

is the 223 a sufficient round to take down a deer without much issue?

also, legally, would i need to buy 5 round mags or can i just load 5 rounds into the 30s before i go into the woods?

nolacop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    im strongly considering going ahead and building an AR instead of buying a bolt rifle and just using that to hunt

is the 223 a sufficient round to take down a deer without much issue?

also, legally, would i need to buy 5 round mags or can i just load 5 rounds into the 30s before i go into the woods?

would a .223 do the job on deer...probably so. having said that, i would choose a more humane round to for the job.

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    I don't know of any limit on number of rounds in a rifle in Louisiana.

Here's a section of this years hunting regulations.

METHODS OF TAKING RESIDENT GAME BIRDS AND QUADRUPEDS

No person shall take or kill any game bird or wild quadruped with a firearm fitted with any device to deaden
    or silence the sound of the discharge thereof; or fitted with an infrared sight, electrically operated sight or
    device specifically designed to enhance vision at night {R.S. 56:116.1B(3)}.
    It is illegal to intentionally feed, deposit, place, distribute, expose, scatter, or cause to be fed, deposited,
    placed, distributed, exposed, or scattered, raw sweet potatoes to wild game quadrupeds.
    Use of a longbow (including compound bow) and arrow or a shotgun not larger than a 10 gauge fired from
    the shoulder without a rest shall be legal for taking all resident game birds and quadrupeds.
    Also, the use of a handgun, ri fle and fa l c o n ry (special permit re q u i red) shall be legal for taking all ga m e
    species ex c ept turkey. It shall be illegal to hunt or take squirrel or rabbits at any time with a bre e ch- loaded
    ri fle or handgun larger than a .22 caliber rimfire or a muzzleloader ri fle larger than a .36 caliber.
    During closed deer gun season, it shall be illegal to possess shotgun shells loaded with slugs or shot larger
    than BB lead or F steel shot while small game hunting.
    Still hunting is defined as stalking or stationary stand hunting without the use of dog(s). Pursuing, driving or
    hunting deer with dogs is prohibited when or where a still hunting season or area is designated and will be
    strictly enforced.
    Shotguns larger than a 10 gauge or capable of holding more than three shells shall be prohibited. Plugs used
    in shotguns must be incapable of being removed without disassembly.
    Refer to game schedules contained within these regulations for specific restrictions on the use of firearms and
    other devices.

Last edited:

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I looked all through that. I didn't see anything about rifle capacity or maybe I sneazed and went right over it.

On any count... 6 years ago the rifle capacity was limited to 10 rounds.

I will check with the local possum cop to make sure.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I spoke with one of my customers who is a wildlife and fisheries agent and he said the only round limit is on shotguns, there is no limit on rifles.

glockthirtysix

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    LaPlace
    Same here with my buddy from WLF.... Limit only on shotgun, not on rifle. I'd go check the state's law page online before I'd go trekking into the woods with a 30 rounder.... If it were me, I'd load only 5 rounds in the mag anyway (just to be safe) and if you need more than 5 shots, you'd better be running from it!:rofl:

Phaetos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    No person shall take or kill any game bird or wild quadruped with a firearm fitted with any device to deaden
    or silence the sound of the discharge thereof; or fitted with an infrared sight, electrically operated sight or
    device specifically designed to enhance vision at night {R.S. 56:116.1B(3)}.

So, does this mean I can't use that new red-dot sight I just installed?

Also, the use of a handgun, rifle and falconry (special permit required) shall be legal for taking all game species except turkey.

So .. can't hunt turkey with rifles? Hmmm ....

It shall be illegal to hunt or take squirrel or rabbits at any time with a breech- loaded
    rifle or handgun larger than a .22 caliber rimfire or a muzzleloader ri fle larger than a .36 caliber.

Damn, I really wanted to hunt those squirrel with my SKS or Mosin M38.

Top Bottom