anyone hunt with an AR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    im strongly considering going ahead and building an AR instead of buying a bolt rifle and just using that to hunt

is the 223 a sufficient round to take down a deer without much issue?

also, legally, would i need to buy 5 round mags or can i just load 5 rounds into the 30s before i go into the woods?

hickman

hiding in the piney woods
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    Alexandria, LA
    22 cal centerfire is the minimum round legal in Louisiana, if it were me, using an AR, I'd buy some 77 gr Black Hills hollowpoint ammo and use it (actually, I'd roll my own, 'cause I reload). As far as the mag issue goes, I BELIEVE that you would have to use a 5 rd mag, easiest way to do that would be to remove the floorplate and cut a piece of 1/2 x 1" wood to put below the follower, and reinstall the floorplate. That should put you legal as the mag has to be disassembled to remove it, same as a plug on a shotgun. Of course you would need to make certain that the mag would hold 5 and no more by trial and error fitting of the wood.

And I would strongly recommend calling the LDWF and make for certain on the mag capacity issue. ;)

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    I have hunted/shot deer with my AR's. Bullet selection is very important. Most of the target style hp's don't hold together well enough to get reliable penetration ( my opinion).

As far as mag capacity goes, unless things changed recently there was no restriction on capacity of rifle mags. Always best to check with DWF as previously stated.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Remington 710's come with a bushnell scope and can be had new around 350... not sure what the difference is between 700's and 710's, but they are a good deal

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Academy has the 700's for $314 if u can find them in the old configuration. The newer 700 SPS's cost more all for the addition a little newer plastic stock with a floorplate. The Howa bolt action are a good deal at $328 if they have any left.

On another note, a buddy of mine bought a 700 SPS in .223 from me and used it to slay a pile of critters in southeastern Txas just above the beaumont area. He shot at least 15 hogs with it and 12 deer with it.
    He shoots quite a few hogs each year and a lot of deer using all manner of calibers from 22 magnum on hogs on up to 300 win mag.
    He said he used the winchester 64gr powerpoint in 223 mainly to shoot the deer and hogs with and said they worked great on them. He said he would find the bullet nicely mushroomed under the hide of the offside.
    HE has a great job for hunting being a forester managing 450,000 acres of land.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom