Anyone running the Shield arms mags in a 43x/48?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Finally got my hangs on a 43x MOS… what’s the verdict on the shield arms 15 rd mags? I generally don’t trust anything but Glock mags but a 15 rd mag in the 43x profile is tempting.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    I have a 48 with 5 shield mags. 1st mag malfunction on the 3rd shot. I cleared it, then dumped the mag. Next 2 mags, no problems. I'm going to shoot it more before I make a final decision on what mags to carry.

Yes I have the shield mag release.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have a 48 with 5 shield mags. 1st mag malfunction on the 3rd shot. I cleared it, then dumped the mag. Next 2 mags, no problems. I'm going to shoot it more before I make a final decision on what mags to carry.

Yes I have the shield mag release.

Several shooters have reported issues with a few Shield Magazines.
    I will stay with the OEM magazines for now.

Jgarris11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I have a G43 with 6 shield arms s15 with +5 extension on them all. I’ve shot over 6k rounds through it with all the mags and never had 1 problem.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have a G43 with 6 shield arms s15 with +5 extension on them all. I’ve shot over 6k rounds through it with all the mags and never had 1 problem.

Sounds great.

Last edited:

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    I have two for my 43x, and I have not had a malfunction. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through them though. I did run a guy at a steel challenge match and he shot his 48 with shield mags the whole match without a malfunction.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    https://youtu.be/mZn0SHN52i8

Checkmate steel mags are good enough for our military. So why not?

This guy makes some great points, including why Glock maybe should rethink their mag building, but I’ll just leave that alone.
    I will say that I don’t consider anyone’s experience or word or opinion over my own hands on experience. If I wanted to know if the mags are dependable I’d load them with my intended carry ammo and put them to the test for myself, just like any gun I intend to potentially bet my life on. Anything other than that, including range day, I don’t worry much about.
    Good luck!

Last edited:

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    I just shot my 48 again at the range. 3 s15 mags and each had a failure to feed. Bullet nose getting stuck between the bottom of the feed ramp and the mag. All around round 9-11. Sorry but I can't trust s15 mags, just my experience. So ill have 5 for sale with the mag catch.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I just shot my 48 again at the range. 3 s15 mags and each had a failure to feed. Bullet nose getting stuck between the bottom of the feed ramp and the mag. All around round 9-11. Sorry but I can't trust s15 mags, just my experience. So ill have 5 for sale with the mag catch.

I had the exact same issue with round nose ammo of various manufacturers but feeds JHP perfectly. Go figure.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I have used these since day1. I actually got the 43X in part due to these mags, like many others. I bought 2 before I had my pistol.

The only, I repeat, only issue I have seen is the slide failing to lock back on these early gen one mags.

I installed the power springs, which later became a standard for Shield Arms, this intermittent issue went away.

I have since been using the gen 1 mags, which is now my primary carry magazine for the 43X, 3 S15 mags, no extensions. I don’t have 6K rounds like another user, but I do have over 2,500 documented rounds with no issues other than the failure of the slide to lock back about 8-10 times total. And that only with the weaker springs they used at the beginning.

About 1,200 rounds in, I switched my original polymer mag release to the Hyve aluminum release. Both mag releases look fine, even the original polymer one. I am not sold the mag release swap was even needed, but did it anyway. I initially started this *reliability test* using the OEM mags and the S15 mags, so I didn’t change the release.

In my opinion, I see them as 100% reliable, and I am a *stock* OEM guy too.

I would say for carry, stay away from the extensions, most of any issues I have heard of are with the extensions. I have heard of very few of those even online.

just my 2 cents and experience after 2,500+ rounds.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom