AR-500 IPSC Waterjet Cut Targets

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marshjo

Jun 9, 2011
    Monroe, La
    Hey,

I work for a company with a waterjet out of Monroe, La.. I am looking to get a group of people that are wanting some targets cut. If I can get enough people to justify me buying the ar-500 plate, then I will cut targets at a discounted price.

I broke the price out in two different ways. Per IPSC target (Quantity I can cut out of one sheet) and mixed. These prices are based on a one time cut.

Per Target:
    (36) Small Targets out of one sheet for $44.00 ea. Including material (TOTAL=$1584.00)
    (18) Mid Targets out of one sheet for $62.00 ea. Including material (TOTAL= $1116.00)
    (6) Full size targets for $144.00 ea. Including material (TOTAL= $864.00)

Mixed: (Added 2 poppers to take up extra space that nothing else would fit in)
    I can get (2) Poppers, (5) Small, (6) Mid, and (6) Large out of one sheet. That would be $10.00 per Popper, $64.00 per Small Target, $80.00 per Mid Target, and $110.00 per Large Targets. Price includes material. (TOTAL= $1480.00)

I can also do custom cuts if you want a deer, elk, hog, goat, etc...

Let me know if anyone is interested. You can reach me here or at jmarsh@pulpmillservices.com

jwglock

Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    What thickness of AR-500? I have a friend who has a CNC plasma cutter (I know this is not the ideal way to cut AR500) and I'm awaiting prices from him to cut me some. He's really busy with other projects and I might be interested.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    Depending on the dimensions of the targets, whether or not you can provide material certificates on the steel proving its through hardened AR500, and transportation concerns, I am interested.

marshjo

Jun 9, 2011
    Monroe, La
    What thickness of AR-500? I have a friend who has a CNC plasma cutter (I know this is not the ideal way to cut AR500) and I'm awaiting prices from him to cut me some. He's really busy with other projects and I might be interested.

3/8". Yea, Ive heard mixed emotions on the plasma. I would say it only hurts the heat treated process around the edges and that the strength past a 1/2" around the perimeter would stay the same, but I am not an expert. May be worth a shot to try though...

Last edited:

marshjo

Jun 9, 2011
    Monroe, La
    Depending on the dimensions of the targets, whether or not you can provide material certificates on the steel proving its through hardened AR500, and transportation concerns, I am interested.

I can send you all the dimensions of the targets. I have cad drawings, or you can send me a sketch or drawing,if you have cad, of what you want and I can work you up a price. Yes, I recieve the MTR's with the plate. Transportation is the only thing I cannot help you with.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    3/8". Yea, Ive heard mixed emotions on the plasma. I would say it only hurts the heat treated process around the edges and that the strength past a 1/2" around the perimeter would stay the same, but I am not an expert. May be worth a shot to try though...

Cutting targets you intend to subject to rifle fire with a plasma cutter can create a potentially dangerous situation.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Like i said, I am no expert. Could you explain why though? I have heard peoples opinions on the matter, but never a real reason..

When you cut it under a heat oxidation process ( plasma torch or oxygen acc.) you take the temper and the flexibility out of the area. This tends to crystallize the carbon molecules in the heat affected zone. If you have ever seen a high speed video of an AR500 target under fire you can see the wave vibration in the steel. This can be dangerous because the steel on the edge can shatter and come back at you by hitting the steel's specific frequency. It is easier said " dangerous situation". If you are going to use a Plasma cutter you would have to soften the edges by oil tempering them after cutting and in doing so you will take out the 500+ hardness out of the steel. You may end up with it harder or softer there is no way of telling unless you can test it on an individual biases. You can make them safer to shoot by heating the edge to 60% non magnetic temp and brine quenching them in a 30% brine solution. It's a whole lot easier getting them water jetted.

jwglock

Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    My friends plasma setup can cut underwater but he's never done it. This would be his first time cutting AR500 so he's supposed to be checking into it. I'm entertaining other possibilities because I don't think it's very high on his priority list. Apparently there are more profitable things to do with a $50k machine than cut targets for your friends.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom