AR pistol “value”

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Been having a stripped lower sitting in the safe for a few years, will finally do something with it.

Was planning to order this kit from PSA:
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-nato-1-7-nit-12-slant-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pk.html

Any reason to look at other brands/styles?
    Built right that pistol should function worry free til the cows come home. Others may chime in with horror stories from who knows where, but on the whole I’ve found PSA AR parts to be good stuff and the builds last for me.
    Their premium BCG is on par with Spike’s, BCM, etc. Yes, I said that, but I’ve put them to the test in my own builds. I average about 2-3k rounds of 5.56 a year through maybe 8-10 AR’s, not a screaming lot but it’s enough to let me know what works and what doesn’t. My PSA stuff holds up well. If you ever see a decent deal on one of their CHF uppers you’d be pleased with it.
    That being said, you can always spend more money. The trick is getting what you want for the price you won’t regret. Have fun!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Been having a stripped lower sitting in the safe for a few years, will finally do something with it.

Was planning to order this kit from PSA:
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-nato-1-7-nit-12-slant-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pk.html

Any reason to look at other brands/styles?

If you're looking for something for the range, that kit should work just fine. You may want to take apart the upper and put it back together just to make sure it's all properly torqued.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you can put it together, you might have a functional firearm.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If you're looking for something for the range, that kit should work just fine. You may want to take apart the upper and put it back together just to make sure it's all properly torqued.

This. With PSA you’re getting mediocre parts and crap assembly. You can at least fix the assembly part, then just hope the parts hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    I built an AR pistol with PSA parts, everything is PSA except for the adjustable stock, barrel and sights. It performs flawlessly. I'm currently building a 300 upper for it and doing an Aero Precision rifle build with a Timney trigger and Magpul or other stock and Magpul grip. I hope that it performs as well, but that Timney trigger is smooth and I can't wait to try it on my fully built rifle.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Use what works for you bruh... My carbine was mostly unbranded **** from ar15depot.com until recently. I started upgrading everything with BCM parts ... I'll never look back ... But as said already, PSA isn't that bad. It's usually just the "AR Snobs" that shove their nose in the air at PSA. Just pay attention to assembly, and do a little bit of your own QA before/during assembly

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I like to use Aero Precision lower parts kits because you can get them cheap without the grip or fire control group if you are changing them out anyway

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    Built right that pistol should function worry free til the cows come home. Others may chime in with horror stories from who knows where, but on the whole I’ve found PSA AR parts to be good stuff and the builds last for me.
    Their premium BCG is on par with Spike’s, BCM, etc. Yes, I said that, but I’ve put them to the test in my own builds. I average about 2-3k rounds of 5.56 a year through maybe 8-10 AR’s, not a screaming lot but it’s enough to let me know what works and what doesn’t. My PSA stuff holds up well. If you ever see a decent deal on one of their CHF uppers you’d be pleased with it.
    That being said, you can always spend more money. The trick is getting what you want for the price you won’t regret. Have fun!
    I agree. Built properly and cared for, that gun should last longer than you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2022
    US
    I've built alot and lost alot on value parts over the years.....learned my lesson. Buy once cry once...but have something you can be proud of

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Grosbec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2022
    White Castle
    I have not used any PSA parts so I can’t speak to the quality, but with that said you have to decide on the use of the firearm. PSA has some ok deals but if the firearm is just range use and playing around I’d say try it out. Anything you may want to count on for duty or defensive purpose I would go with higher quality. With uppers and lowers you can’t go wrong with Aero Precision and there are on just a little more money than Anderson. Aero Precision BCG’s are great also. Nowadays I just stick with Bravo Company parts just because you don’t have to second guess there stuff. If you have a lower budget at least spend the money on a well known quality BCG. Aero’s normally run $130 but on sale they are $100 or even less. Usually you can do a much better quality AR for just $200 more than a mediocre one by shopping sales.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I have gone thru prob 5 or 6 PSA rifles without a hitch. I order rifles or uppers with nitrided barrels, just my preference for longevity, ease of cleaning, and corrosion resist. Just ordered and received a PSA AR 9mm pistol, 8.5" barrel. Took it to the range last Friday with magpul mags. Not one single hiccup. Brass, steel or AL cases. It ate em all. I did throat/ramp the chamber/barrel shortly after receiving it from PSA. Occasionally reviews on the PSA 9mm Luger AR style pistols on their website report issues/stoppages feeding hollow points vs FMC ammo. Mine eats anything after a mild throating of the chamber with my dremel. What I was shooting for, 100% reliable with any 9mm ammo. Snobs turn their nose up at PSA and spend more $ than they need to. That is fine with me. I buy PSA when they have big holiday sales. Price cuts and free shipping. I do have a Geissele Super Duty 556 11.5" pistol I purchased new a couple years back in the safe too. Its all anodized in their 40mm green finish. Wasn't cheap either. A super sweet non-black finish AR15.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    As far as PSA goes I own one and was pretty happy with it stock. At this point the only thing on the rifle that’s still PSA is the actual upper and lower it’s. I’ve upgraded everything over time. I ran close to 2k rounds though it stock and didn’t have any real complaints about it.

As far as the parts kits go from companies like PSA or Aero your getting MIM parts. Personally I’d spend a little more and get true mil spec or better and go with SOLGW, BCM, LMT, Sionics, and so on.

On a side note I discovered a company called White Label Armory. They seem to be a cut above the rest of the more mid tier or budget tier brands available. Definitely worth looking into imo.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Ive been becoming a big time Daniel Defense and BCM fan lately. My 7.5 pistol has a bunch of Dirty Bird Industries parts on/in it, and have no complaints. She has ran like a dream the last few weeks. I may have to give this White Label company a shot. Im liking the design of their handguards. I'm just wondering how the quality is. Are their handguards pretty durable or do they bend easy like the chinesium ones?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom