Best 410 Buck for home defense?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I was asked the question what was the best 410 ammo for home defense. My obvious answer was buckshot but then I had no answer when they asked which brand/kind.

The firearm is a pump 410, the make unknown to me. Obviously, there are better options, but this case was quite specific. If you had to use a 410 pump for home defense, what is the best load of buck?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Go with standard .410 ammo and make sure you’re not buying something made for these new .410 pistols. All of that is low recoil (low power) stuff that will defeat your purpose. Standard 3” mag 000 Buck (Winchester/Federal/Remington) is what I’d look for, but we all know that’s like Unicorn sweat to find. I posted a seller I buy slugs and TT buck from a while back. I’ll get it back up.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Go with standard .410 ammo and make sure you’re not buying something made for these new .410 pistols. All of that is low recoil (low power) stuff that will defeat your purpose. Standard 3” mag 000 Buck (Winchester/Federal/Remington) is what I’d look for, but we all know that’s like Unicorn sweat to find. I posted a seller I buy slugs and TT buck from a while back. I’ll get it back up.

Sorry, Magdump, but just the opposite is true....All of the ammo companies are trying to produce a load that equals a blast from a shotgun, when fired from a pistol. Myself and several family members own Judges, and a Governor and a 410 pump shotgun;I am the "designated reloader for the family', BTW, these New pistols have been around for over 10 years now...Another interesting fact is that #
    3" shells use the same powder charge as 2 1/2" , so they are a little slower, because of heavier payload... All above info can be confirmed by Lymans #5 shotshell manual...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Sorry, Magdump, but just the opposite is true....All of the ammo companies are trying to produce a load that equals a blast from a shotgun, when fired from a pistol. Myself and several family members own Judges, and a Governor and a 410 pump shotgun;I am the "designated reloader for the family', BTW, these New pistols have been around for over 10 years now...Another interesting fact is that #
    3" shells use the same powder charge as 2 1/2" , so they are a little slower, because of heavier payload... All above info can be confirmed by Lymans #5 shotshell manual...
    I stand by my statement. I do not believe that just the opposite is true. Look at the pic. The box labeled “Hone Defense” is a low recoil ammo as you will find of many shotgun loads designed for defensive use and to obtain lower recoil we all know that you have to either reduce powder charge, payload or both. I’ve seen as many loads for these pistols as the next guy, and regardless of what velocity they claim, the majority of them are not max loads. A 3” 000 round fires 5 projectiles. A 2.5” fires 3. Some of the .410 handguns (if not most of them) won’t shoot a 3” shell. You’re comparing rounds that are designed specifically for pistols, .410 firearms with very short barrels. Yes, ammo manufacturers are trying to optimize some rounds for these short barreled shot pistols or whatever you want to call them but they’re not necessarily making those rounds better for the long guns, neither do they make the most of a long gun’s potential. The ammo in my can shows the difference in payload. I know that the Winchester 3” 000 buck travels from my pump gun at over 1300 fps. That’s five .36 caliber balls. The slugs are clocking 1800 fps. If you think that manufacturers have been holding out on performance or they somehow have suddenly created a magic bullet that outperforms a standard .410 sporting shell, I’d like you to consider investing in some stocks I’m selling. And please don’t start telling folks they can safely shoot .45 LC in their squirrel gun.
    You’re welcome to bring any pistol load you have and come shoot at my place through my Chronograph and see if any of those loads designed for these pistols can compare with standard .410 loads, through whatever shotgun you prefer.
    Again, if you’re planning on using a standard 18+ inch .410 shotgun for home defense, you’re better off sticking with ammo specifically loaded for a shotgun and not that loaded for a pistol.
    End of story.

Attachments

• 885E31B8-2097-4660-9F70-16E920588467.jpeg
      885E31B8-2097-4660-9F70-16E920588467.jpeg
      535.5 KB · Views: 64
    • 22F47348-C9D3-46EF-8BCC-A4D4770EFA99.jpeg
      22F47348-C9D3-46EF-8BCC-A4D4770EFA99.jpeg
      467.6 KB · Views: 70
    Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I stand by my statement. I do not believe that just the opposite is true. Look at the pic. The box labeled “Hone Defense” is a low recoil ammo as you will find of many shotgun loads designed for defensive use and to obtain lower recoil we all know that you have to either reduce powder charge, payload or both. I’ve seen as many loads for these pistols as the next guy, and regardless of what velocity they claim, the majority of them are not max loads. A 3” 000 round fires 5 projectiles. A 2.5” fires 3. Some of the .410 handguns (if not most of them) won’t shoot a 3” shell. You’re comparing rounds that are designed specifically for pistols, .410 firearms with very short barrels. Yes, ammo manufacturers are trying to optimize some rounds for these short barreled shot pistols or whatever you want to call them but they’re not necessarily making those rounds better for the long guns, neither do they make the most of a long gun’s potential. The ammo in my can shows the difference in payload. I know that the Winchester 3” 000 buck travels from my pump gun at over 1300 fps. That’s five .36 caliber balls. The slugs are clocking 1800 fps. If you think that manufacturers have been holding out on performance or they somehow have suddenly created a magic bullet that outperforms a standard .410 sporting shell, I’d like you to consider investing in some stocks I’m selling. And please don’t start telling folks they can safely shoot .45 LC in their squirrel gun.
    You’re welcome to bring any pistol load you have and come shoot at my place through my Chronograph and see if any of those loads designed for these pistols can compare with standard .410 loads, through whatever shotgun you prefer.
    Again, if you’re planning on using a standard 18+ inch .410 shotgun for home defense, you’re better off sticking with ammo specifically loaded for a shotgun and not that loaded for a pistol.
    End of story.
    This makes me think you've never captured any of those 36 caliber balls and examined them.

It's my experience that they are flattened discs, conformed to the bore size in diameter, before they leave the muzzle.

This is why .410 buck always flies wonky at longer ranges.

Perhaps if you hard cast your own, . . .

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    This makes me think you've never captured any of those 36 caliber balls and examined them.

It's my experience that they are flattened discs, conformed to the bore size in diameter, before they leave the muzzle.

I do cast my own, using WW and a touch of linotype, recovered balls are still round...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Are you shooting through a rifled barrel? Recovering after they hit steel targets? How much range do you think you’re talking about in a person’s home? Points to ponder…

Last edited:

shotgunjim

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 20, 2016
    Baton Rouge
    As a chap I used to squirrel hunt with a single bbl 410 and with 3 inch hunting loads the pattern was very dense and would travel to top of tall trees. I think most home defense shooting will be max 60 feet and high brass number 6 will be more consistent. If you pattern any shotgun shooting buckshot you will see what I am talking about.
    Years ago some skeet shooters did extensive patterning with 410 and found that full or skeet choke made little difference in pattern. Go to a skeet shoot and count the number of 25 or 100 straights that are shot with 410 vs 28 or 20ga. For what its worth I have an old 12 ga REM 870 with 30 inch full (that I used to hunt with) loaded up with high brass #6 that I feel confident it will take care of any home defense issues. Shotgun Jim

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    The best .410 buck for home defense is the Hornady Critical Defense I have listed for sale of course! All jokes aside I don’t think it matters much what brand of buck or defensive load you use so long ad you try it out in your gun and make sure it works. Like most things with this shot placement will matter a lot more than which buckshot load you used. I would just steer clear of any birdshot or anything that’s not buckshot or some sort of defensive load.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Who makes a rifled barrel 410 shotgun?
    Are you gonna tell me none of those .410 Governor-Judgy handguns are rifled? LOL
    He said the shot “conformed to the bore size” and I’m just wondering how a .36 cal ball would have to conform to a .410 smooth bore…so I asked.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom