BRPD chopper crashed and unknown for 8-9 hours that killed two officers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    They gotta turn and slow down sometime… even if cars maintaining 170mph, the chopper could see it for 30-45 mins going 150 mph on straight road…. Not to mention the radioing other LE in neighboring city’s…… I don’t understand how it goes down and nobody notices for 8-9 hours, they don’t have to check in? There not being tracked by the eye in the sky?

Last edited:

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Why did it take so long to figure out that the chopper was missing and to find the crash site?????... With todays tracking features seems like some body was asleep at the wheel.................. the Baton Rouge reporting tv stations on their web pages as well as #6 out of New Orleans have different time frames listed as to time table of events... Will the truth ever come out??? ............... drill sgt.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    A lot of times BRPD is out flying but not showing in the tracking apps. Only knowing what I experience, I'm guessing that it is common that LEA do not make their locations available to the public, and I'm not sure why the agency wouldnt know unless it was supervisors up and they didnt really need to report to anyone else. I've seen them do pretty wild flying low altitude flying over some woods, with my eyes, but that's with the little black chopper not the big nice one.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    At 150 it would take a car doing 175mph quite some time and distance to lose a chopper. Your average car isn’t going anywhere near that regardless.
    agreed!!!! and even if it was able to keep that speed of 175mph on west baton rouge roads, which i doubt, just climb a little alltitude and can see another 5 miles, hes gotta slow down and turn somewhere.... i know they got thermal, that car would have been glowing like a nucular device lol

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I'm guessing that they lost altitude while trying to keep up and the pilot did not notice before they started to turn around, just caught up in the moment.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So if they catch the driver that’ll be another charge I would imagine. 2 officers killed in a pursuit? Gotta be able to charge the driver for that.
    I remember some movie, cannonball run I think, where a Lambo outran a chopper. I had no it could be done until then. On a side note, I’ve flown in my buddy’s little Piper doing 70 tops and turned a 3 hour road trip into 2.

Last edited:

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    A Robinson R44 Raven II, which is the aircraft model involved in the accident, has a cruise speed of 109 knots. 109 knots = 125 mph. Given that there is a strong possibility that the aircraft in question had external appliances such as a searchlight and/or loudspeaker for LEO use the cruise speed would be slower. Not hard to outrun a Robbie.

One factor that will be looked is the weather. Yes, it was clear that morning. However the moon was only in 25% illumination. Did the crew have NVG? Unknown to me.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    So if they catch the driver that’ll be another charge I would imagine. 2 officers killed in a pursuit? Gotta be able to charge the driver for that.
    I remember some movie, cannonball run I think, where a Lambo outran a chopper. I had no it could be done until then. On a side note, I’ve flown in my buddy’s little Piper doing 70 tops and turned a 3 hour road trip into 2.
    Not for or against the fella being charged in the cops death…. But if they were ordered to pull off and stop, then they get killed after that how is it on the perp? Like if I was getting a ticket, after I got the ticket and he let me leave, he does a u turn and gets hit it ain’t my fault … idk sad either way, I did see he was caught and 2 charges of manslaughter, and that nobody was in the ffa air traffic control tower from midnight to 5am…

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    A Robinson R44 Raven II, which is the aircraft model involved in the accident, has a cruise speed of 109 knots. 109 knots = 125 mph. Given that there is a strong possibility that the aircraft in question had external appliances such as a searchlight and/or loudspeaker for LEO use the cruise speed would be slower. Not hard to outrun a Robbie.

One factor that will be looked is the weather. Yes, it was clear that morning. However the moon was only in 25% illumination. Did the crew have NVG? Unknown to me.
    Unless they had fog the weather was good I was awake then

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Robinson R44 Raven II
    That's the one they were almost scraping treetops with, and doing very sporty low-fast flying, a couple of years ago. They actually had a bunch of people complain about it because they were doing it over the same neighborhoods repeatedly and at all times of day and night.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom